PDA

View Full Version : Remove General Chat

JRP
16-04-2010, 23:27
This is a car club, increasingly being flooded with rubbish.

Either ban the people posting it, or remove the general chat so there is no opertunity...

dont give me all that freedom of speech crap i couldnt give a toss... its ruining the club.

This club does not need politics, fuel threads blah blah blah

SORT IT OUT

JRP
16-04-2010, 23:29
Infact lets put a poll up, see if people want threads like this removed... or the people.

Trevhib
16-04-2010, 23:29
+1 here. Total cr@p in the main. Someone take some action.

5alldaway
16-04-2010, 23:30
you have an issue with general chat then dont look, not hard is it?

mr white
16-04-2010, 23:34

:agree: simples

THE MASTER
16-04-2010, 23:36
i say keep gen chat . why you ask . simmple it lets you get to know peeps . if it was just cars and nothing else it would get boaring

i for one like to know about people and get to know them

Trevhib
16-04-2010, 23:36
:agree: simples

So you're against a democratic poll?

JRP
16-04-2010, 23:37
:laugh::popcorn:

5alldaway
16-04-2010, 23:39
all the general chat randomness on the old site was hilarious, and thats what made me a member for the past 7 years

JRP
16-04-2010, 23:41
all the general chat randomness on the old site was hilarious, and thats what made me a member for the past 7 years

True on the old site, this is not hillarious, normaly just crap, that i have to sift through and many others get sick of sifting through... it ruins the live function

Hoolio
16-04-2010, 23:43
Sorry but that would be a mistake, it does/can supply some light relief. I am as fed up as everyone woth these threads that degenerate into utter bollocks but its not the answer.

mr white
16-04-2010, 23:43
So you're against a democratic poll?

So you're against a democratic poll? where did i say that? lol:laugh:

no im going to be just like our goverments and refuse to give a referrendum thats how democracy works doesnt it!

Trevhib
16-04-2010, 23:44
Agreed. There's a difference between banter, movie chat etc and repeatedly preaching end of the world beliefs/conspiracies at every turn.

Trevhib
16-04-2010, 23:45
So you're against a democratic poll? where did i say that? lol:laugh:

no im going to be just like our goverments and refuse to give a referrendum thats how democracy works doesnt it!

I didn't say that you did say it, I was asking a question. Are you able to understand?

So, why be just like the government? Why aren't you campaigning?

Rob1980
16-04-2010, 23:48
I have just signed back up to this site for another year having missed all the recent goings on.

Moral seems to be really low, how can I help to raise everyones spirits?:santa:

JRP
16-04-2010, 23:49
I have just signed back up to this site for another year having missed all the recent goings on.

Moral seems to be really low, how can I help to raise everyones spirits?:santa:

Do that dance you do :)and dont highlight my name in threads unless prior permission given.. LMFAO

mr white
16-04-2010, 23:49
I didn't say that you did say it, I was asking a question. Are you able to understand?

So, why be just like the government? Why aren't you campaigning?

no you was asumeing trefor.

are you against a democratic poll? anwser would be no
and it looks more like a statement with a question mark.

Rob1980
16-04-2010, 23:51
Do that dance you do :)and dont highlight my name in threads unless prior permission given.. LMFAO

You mean the truffle shuffle?

I promise not to highlight your name again:)

JRP
16-04-2010, 23:52
You mean the truffle shuffle?

I promise not to highlight your name again:)

YES the truffle!

Rob1980
16-04-2010, 23:54
YES the truffle!

Oh if only you could see me. My belly is gonna wobble for a week once I have finished busting this truffle!

Trevhib
17-04-2010, 00:04

are you against a democratic poll? anwser would be no

Right then you're for having a poll about this. That's one thing sorted.

Now what about doing something constructive about the country's issues because it seems to me you're doing nothing at present, which makes you part of the problem does it not. <that's a statement>

Kempy
17-04-2010, 00:50

I would of thought it would look like a question? would a statement not have an exclamation mark? :confused:

Trevhib
17-04-2010, 10:42
He was trying to read between the lines Kempy whilst detracting from the point of the 'conversation'. Don't worry too much about it.

sphinX
17-04-2010, 10:59
Haha this club is going down the ****ter! so much e-hatred to people!!! It's a general forum for ANY general chit chat... you really don't have to look at that one thread you know.. nor do you have to reply to it. Clearly you don't see the point in GENERAL chat where GENERAL issues can be raised at any GENERAL time?!?!? :confused:

Why are people feeling so much anger these days anyway?! It's like you are all bored of the car talk so want to argue about anything else lol

The way to get out of these "dark" times is to not start threads like this in the first place, which is going to cause a rukus anyhow meaning you are just as bad as the people you are fighting against which aren't actually doing anything wrong.

Let's just all smile and hug :D

JRP I am not having a go at you either nor trying to piss you off, this is just my opinion on the matter :agree:

Scoff
17-04-2010, 11:21
Sphinx, let me try and put it in a nutshell for you :)

Haha this club is going down the ****ter! so much e-hatred to people!!! It's a general forum for ANY general chit chat... you really don't have to look at that one thread you know.. nor do you have to reply to it. Clearly you don't see the point in GENERAL chat where GENERAL issues can be raised at any GENERAL time?!?!? :confused:

Saying things like "Clearly you don't see the point.." is not going to score you any points. Its condescending, ofcourse people know what it means. So yes you can post what you like within reason, but when a majority of members don't want to read something you shouldn't be offended when someone speaks up. If it were up to me alone I'd delete anything to do with politics, religion, conspiricy theories and everything else in between that's currently giving me a headache everytime I log on. Unfortunately it isn't up to me alone and I need to be a little more tolerant.

As for the "don't read it if you don't want to" comment - unfortunately if you use the live feature you have NO OPTION but to read the threads (or posts) like the ones in question. You can't just ignore them. I use the live window to keep up with what's going on, I don't have the time to seletively browse the forum in the mannor you might. So yes, it's a real problem.

Why are people feeling so much anger these days anyway?! It's like you are all bored of the car talk so want to argue about anything else lol

Because they're pationate about the Renault turbo owners club and they don't want to see it descend into some un-hinged political debate forum.

The way to get out of these "dark" times is to not start threads like this in the first place, which is going to cause a rukus anyhow meaning you are just as bad as the people you are fighting against which aren't actually doing anything wrong.

No, the way out is to not have people disrupting otherwise fine threads with the topics and themes we've seen of late.

benj88
17-04-2010, 11:22
Am hearin ya mate, I just posted something in genral chat but it was something to do with 5s so a suppose it's not to bad :coffee:

Trevhib
17-04-2010, 11:24
Scoff, +1. Well articulated. :agree:

Shane P
17-04-2010, 11:27
If it were up to me alone I'd delete anything to do with politics, religion, conspiricy theories and everything else in between that's currently giving me a headache everytime I log on.

:agree: Do it Scoff, you would be doing us all a major favour :)

dave j gtt
17-04-2010, 11:40
People are intrested in all sorts these days , read/learn what you want. :innocent:

Dont get distracted from what you are doing, and get on with life. Doing whatever you please. no point making a point, If your not intrested or have no intrest of topics of that nature.

Everyone who bitch's about another members post OR THE CLUB or any negitive demeanor towards RTOC and or any member.
Could do with a :tuttut:from the committee and told to Relaxe an bit :)

Trevhib
17-04-2010, 11:48
People are intrested in all sorts these days

I thought you said that we're all brainwashed by the media and government? If that's so, how is it possible that people are 'interested in all sorts these days'? Make up your mind.

dave j gtt
17-04-2010, 11:53
thats the sort of sh*t :cool: rtoc dosnt need trev

Trevhib
17-04-2010, 11:55
thats the sort of sh i t rtoc dosnt need trev

I agree completely. Although there's no need to swear.

dave j gtt
17-04-2010, 12:02
end :crap:

Scoff
17-04-2010, 12:04
dave, friendly word of advice mate. stop digging holes for yourself, the forum is a better place without this sort of "debate".

edit: - that comment made more sence before some posts were edited by their owners :)

sphinX
17-04-2010, 12:11
Scoff, I'm not going to quote everything you said to clog up this thread ha :agree:

But anyway, you do make a good point about everything especially the live feature and I can understand why people are getting pissed off about these threads but to remove the whole general chat is a bit OTT.

Anyway that's my two cents I'll just leave the commitee to do what they wish :cool:

Scoff
17-04-2010, 12:28
Scoff, I'm not going to quote everything you said to clog up this thread ha :agree:

But anyway, you do make a good point about everything especially the live feature and I can understand why people are getting pissed off about these threads but to remove the whole general chat is a bit OTT.

Anyway that's my two cents I'll just leave the commitee to do what they wish :cool:

:agree: :)

Mart
17-04-2010, 12:35
Scoff, imho, as the main man of this website, and a prominent member of the Committee, if you personally think that these type of threads shouldn't be present, then you shouldn't have to answer to anyone if you want to close/delete them.

If these bollox threads aren't nipped in the bud now, it might not be much longer before the actual passionate rtoc members just call it a day & leave.

You've already got half the Committee wondering why they're putting theirselves out for all the sh1te they've been taking of late, let alone potentially also losing a good core of said members as well.

For the good of the club & its forum, don't let it happen mate :agree:

5teve L
17-04-2010, 14:00
The thing is General chat was ok, some randoms in there but all this politics & religion :crap: & then the real drivel that gets posted really spoils the whole point of the section IMO. I know it says general chat but some of the ****e that gets posted is beyond belief sometimes these days...

jesus in the seat of a 5
17-04-2010, 17:07
Oh if only you could see me. My belly is gonna wobble for a week once I have finished busting this truffle!

you were saying jerp......:laugh:...;)

wrightygtt
17-04-2010, 17:15
I don't usually add much , but imo, you should keep general chat, because the bollox needs somewhere to go, other than that you'll see more of it in the Technical and other sections:)

Trevhib
17-04-2010, 17:26
Scoff, imho, as the main man of this website, and a prominent member of the Committee, if you personally think that these type of threads shouldn't be present, then you shouldn't have to answer to anyone if you want to close/delete them.

If these bollox threads aren't nipped in the bud now, it might not be much longer before the actual passionate rtoc members just call it a day & leave.

You've already got half the Committee wondering why they're putting theirselves out for all the sh1te they've been taking of late, let alone potentially also losing a good core of said members as well.

For the good of the club & its forum, don't let it happen mate :agree:

Agreed.

Let's have some arbitrary, discretionary thread/post monitoring and deleting, if necessary base it on some board rules addenda that specify no religion (or other 'belief' systems), no politics, no doom mongering and one or two other things.

The point I've tried to make yesterday and today by challenging every one of these threads is to highlight just how many there are festering on the boards. RTOC is not the place for it, no matter what the intention of 'general chat' was/is meant to be.

5teve L
17-04-2010, 17:53
Agreed.

Let's have some arbitrary, discretionary thread/post monitoring and deleting, if necessary base it on some board rules addenda that specify no religion (or other 'belief' systems), no politics, no doom mongering and one or two other things.

The point I've tried to make yesterday and today by challenging every one of these threads is to highlight just how many there are festering on the boards. RTOC is not the place for it, no matter what the intention of 'general chat' was/is meant to be.

:agree:

D4WNO
17-04-2010, 18:09
General chat isn't going anywhere but some of the **** has to stop. There is a time and a place for it and it isn't here. Having a discussion about this at the moment with the other CM/Mods...I know we're all sick of it

warpspeed
17-04-2010, 18:29
[quote Having a discussion about this at the moment with the other CM/Mods...I know we're all sick of it[/quote]

Woohoo! Hopefully it'll get sorted for the good of everyone as a whole.

Having an opinion is fine but when it degenerates into meaningless drivel what's the point?!

Tony Walker
17-04-2010, 19:41
There have been some good threads in the general forum, but increasingly taken over by a particular individual "expressing his point of view" kinda ruins most threads and you cant just skip his comment because theres several after pointing out how annoying he is.
Aslong as the threads are deleted and dont take up valuable space for constructive/informative threads then i geuss its got to stay really, just wish some people would learn that they dont allways have to post an opinion.
Bit like me posting mine now lol probably shouldnt click send but im about to.

Kenobi
17-04-2010, 20:15
Ive read this thread, theres some good points.

However I have to say that when you guys say threads desending into pointless drivel, surely you dont mean the ones started about things you have no interest in.

Now I for one find Dave refreshing, I dont agree with everything he has to say but that doesnt matter.

If any of it was anywhere but general chat i would probably be agreeing with virtually everything the committee have to say. However unless this is the committees club (which its not) You dont have the right to Tell Dave (lets be honest its one of three peeps your all trying to do away with) what he can or cannot talk about.

If a public vote go for the rules to be changed to make it against the rules to talk religion or politics then thats cool. Please dont just make it against the rules for people to talk about things that interest them.

Some people love football, some love horse racing, I HATE golf, however if someone wants to talk about the masters or Tiger woods, Im not going to be too bothered as I simply ignore that thread in general chat.

For gods sakes peeps I log onto RTOC to see if I can help anybody, or to learn a bit. As soon as Ive had a quick 5 minute glance if nothing interests me I move onto something else on the internet (lol no not shockingtube.com) or go do something in REAL life.

If you sit on this site all day then maybe you may find a few people anoying, maybe its time for you to leave. You know, Get a girlfriend or a job.

Blot
17-04-2010, 20:21
Any way of seperating general chat from rest of boards so that it doesn't appear in the live feed? Then everyone happy?

Kenobi
17-04-2010, 20:23
Any way of seperating general chat from rest of boards so that it doesn't appear in the live feed? Then everyone happy?

BINGO,

Best Comment best idea in this entire thread.

garya
17-04-2010, 20:39
Agree:agree:

J$£5GTT
17-04-2010, 21:06
:dearme:

warpspeed
17-04-2010, 21:24
However I have to say that when you guys say threads desending into pointless drivel, surely you dont mean the ones started about things you have no interest in.

No i mean threads started that i have an interest in as well, i now get to the point that if i see posts by certain members i just can't be bothered reading any further, click back and go to another thread.

If any of it was anywhere but general chat i would probably be agreeing with virtually everything the committee have to say. However unless this is the committees club (which its not) You dont have the right to Tell Dave (lets be honest its one of three peeps your all trying to do away with) what he can or cannot talk about.

Seems to me it's just ordinary members saying this not the committee.

If you sit on this site all day then maybe you may find a few people anoying, maybe its time for you to leave. You know, Get a girlfriend or a job.
[/quote]

I only come on this site in the evening for maybe half an hour, should i leave if i find certain people annoying within that time?!

Lomo
17-04-2010, 22:37
In my opinion this is why we don't have meetings like the Dutch boys.....As long as this goes on we'll just have to make use of the photos we see from Holland....

Big Steve - Raider
18-04-2010, 09:44
In my opinion this is why we don't have meetings like the Dutch boys.....As long as this goes on we'll just have to make use of the photos we see from Holland....

:agree: :worship:

Scoff
18-04-2010, 12:41
kenobi, you're over reacting. no one was getting that specific and no one on the committee is abusing or considering to abuse their powers in terms of directing what people do or do not talk about. try not to take it so personally :)

Kenobi
18-04-2010, 17:47
No i mean threads started that i have an interest in as well, i now get to the point that if i see posts by certain members i just can't be bothered reading any further, click back and go to another thread.

Seems to me it's just ordinary members saying this not the committee.

I only come on this site in the evening for maybe half an hour, should i leave if i find certain people annoying within that time?![/quote]

Hey man thats not what I meant. I meant if people annoy you you can ignore them like.

Kenobi
18-04-2010, 17:50
kenobi, you're over reacting. no one was getting that specific and no one on the committee is abusing or considering to abuse their powers in terms of directing what people do or do not talk about. try not to take it so personally :)

Hey Scoff nah I try not to take things personally , mostly nothing is aimed at me anyway. I just see people treating other people in a less than satisfatory way and ive been brought up to do something about it. At the end of the day if no one else sees people getting singled out then maybe im wrong. i said my bit anyway. :agree:

Hope General chat dont get taken away.

D4WNO
18-04-2010, 19:42
No, as said before, General Chat isn't going anywhere. Myself and the rest of the CMs and mods are pig sick of some of the ****e that gets thrown around and it's got to stop. Some of you guys are bloody lucky that we're not even HALF as harsh as some other clubs. I see no need to ban people, we just wish for a better understanding (maybe we can be too).

It needs to get back to being about meeting people, having a laugh and helping fellow members with their cars. It's what RTOC has always been good at; I myself have met some life-long friends through here (and the love of my life I might add) :)

Various people whom need not be named, have begun some serious/off-the-wall topics. Absolutely fine! I'm all for it; I enjoy reading about something a little different but when it turns into a slanging match it's not on. General chat is seen by new people, who we must remember are potential new paying members...potential new paying members who are going to keep this club alive and kicking.

If issues like this keep occuring and the CMs and Mods continue to receive so many complaints about them then the answer I'm afraid will be quite simple; have the discussions elsewhere and don't bring "beef" to RTOC...the one place known for it's club spirit and lack of $hit.

I fully understand and am all for free speech :agree:, but when it becomes offensive, especially around topics such as religion and conspiracies etc, we need to protect the members. A simple answer of "well don't read it then", isn't good enough. If they wanted to read such deep topics then could log into another forum specifically for that. I bet the majority of people don't only use RTOC, they use various forums for different things right?

I'm sure I'll get a load of crap for this, but without new members joining up (after reading the nice, fun and helpful RTOC threads in General Chat) then we won't HAVE a club at all. It really does boil down to that. I'm passionate about this club too, as are the rest of the CMs and Mods, it's why we do this. Our members are too and this is why RTOC is different, please help us to keep it this way.

Chris Hebden
18-04-2010, 19:52
No, as said before, General Chat isn't going anywhere. Myself and the rest of the CMs and mods are pig sick of some of the ****e that gets thrown around and it's got to stop. Some of you guys are bloody lucky that we're not even HALF as harsh as some other clubs. I see no need to ban people, we just wish for a better understanding (maybe we can be too).

It needs to get back to being about meeting people, having a laugh and helping fellow members with their cars. It's what RTOC has always been good at; I myself have met some life-long friends through here (and the love of my life I might add) :)

Various people whom need not be named, have begun some serious/off-the-wall topics. Absolutely fine! I'm all for it; I enjoy reading about something a little different but when it turns into a slanging match it's not on. General chat is seen by new people, who we must remember are potential new paying members...potential new paying members who are going to keep this club alive and kicking.

If issues like this keep occuring and the CMs and Mods continue to receive so many complaints about them then the answer I'm afraid will be quite simple; have the discussions elsewhere and don't bring "beef" to RTOC...the one place known for it's club spirit and lack of $hit.

I fully understand and am all for free speech :agree:, but when it becomes offensive, especially around topics such as religion and conspiracies etc, we need to protect the members. A simple answer of "well don't read it then", isn't good enough. If they wanted to read such deep topics then could log into another forum specifically for that. I bet the majority of people don't only use RTOC, they use various forums for different things right?

I'm sure I'll get a load of crap for this, but without new members joining up (after reading the nice, fun and helpful RTOC threads in General Chat) then we won't HAVE a club at all. It really does boil down to that. I'm passionate about this club too, as are the rest of the CMs and Mods, it's why we do this. Our members are too and this is why RTOC is different, please help us to keep it this way.

:laugh: i love beef, with roasties :)! I wouldnt want to be a mod on this website, from an outside point of view it lools like a full time job :confused:!

The only way i can see to stop threads going down the pan is to heavly mod the boards and if anything does need changing then it is done and the person is warned. 3 warnings and its a 5 day ban, re-occuring then more severe punishments need to be looked into.

However, i would like to say a thread should only be modified if 2 or more committee memebers (honestly) think that it needs too and a full justification sent to the writer

warpspeed
18-04-2010, 20:12
:laugh: i love beef, with roasties :)! I wouldnt want to be a mod on this website, from an outside point of view it lools like a full time job :confused:!

The only way i can see to stop threads going down the pan is to heavly mod the boards and if anything does need changing then it is done and the person is warned. 3 warnings and its a 5 day ban, re-occuring then more severe punishments need to be looked into.

However, i would like to say a thread should only be modified if 2 or more committee memebers (honestly) think that it needs too and a full justification sent to the writer

good idea! i think we all need something in black and white so everybody knows what the rules are and what will happen if their broken.

Just saying that the posts/threads of late are not on isn't enough in my opinion

Kenobi
18-04-2010, 20:14
Im glad general chat aint goin anywhere. Dawn im about to pm you bout summat. :agree:

Spooky
18-04-2010, 20:35
I would love to moderate on here :popcorn::banned::cylon::D

Trevhib
18-04-2010, 20:39
I wouldn't want General Chat to go anywhere either but I can say now that if the volume of this 'stuff' isn't reduced (by some method or another) to a level appropriate for a car club, I for one will continue to answer it and challenge it with a similar zealousness to that shown, whilst ensuring I'm within my rights as a member and within the current rules of the forum.

If nothing changes then the rules are left open to exactly the same interpretation. By that token therefore, something has to change because things are not right currently.

Kenobi
18-04-2010, 20:58
I wouldn't want General Chat to go anywhere either but I can say now that if the volume of this 'stuff' isn't reduced (by some method or another) to a level appropriate for a car club, I for one will continue to answer it and challenge it with a similar zealousness to that shown, whilst ensuring I'm within my rights as a member and within the current rules of the forum.

If nothing changes then the rules are left open to exactly the same interpretation. By that token therefore, something has to change because things are not right currently.

Thats makes a lot of sense.

J$£5GTT
18-04-2010, 21:29
and the beat goes on...

D4WNO
18-04-2010, 22:00
Completely agree but I'm being personally accused of stuff now. It's really not worth the hassle.

We could bring in a heap of rules and someone as usual won't agree and we'll get jip for it again. I'm seriously thinking of stepping down, I seem to be being picked out as only a few CMs post regularly and I'm on a lot admittedly . I'm only human and can only word things how I feel to be best. I even got someone to proofread my text so as not to cause offence, seems it still has. Just can't win.

car.crash
18-04-2010, 22:04
Take no notice dawn. It's the same handfull time and time again.

Kenobi
18-04-2010, 22:08
Take no notice dawn. It's the same handfull time and time again.

Dawn means me. I wanted to pm her instead of it being on the boards.

I'm not picking on you Dawn, I just wanted to talk to you instead of it being on here.

I thought that was a better way of doing things.

D4WNO
18-04-2010, 22:10
It's been made clear to me that I've explained a few things badly.

The general gist of the above post is that we need to find a middle-ground and have some rules in place (just as some other members have already suggested).

The issue here is that by going too strict it will alienate members, people will complain and only a few people are around to keep the rules in place anyway, a lot of the committee work behind the scenes.

I personally don't want it to become an auto-ban system like Cliosport and others, I think we all want the club to stay chilled out and I'm pretty sure a lot of others would too. Banning could be needless if people just thought about actions, it's not hard but involves a two-way understanding.

Spooky
18-04-2010, 22:32
PM Miss Smith :)

kayzee
19-04-2010, 15:51
I say keep it.

There's only one car forum I go on without a general chat section, and it's rubbish! No banter, feels very sterile. It only gets one check per day from me, whereas others I'm always on :agree:

clee
19-04-2010, 16:19
We should just have a bit more moderation .
No one is going to be oppressed, freedom of speech is a given but if the vast majority of members are sick of hearing certain subjects then ........
It would appear that that is the case .

Kenobi
20-04-2010, 08:05
No one is going to be oppressed, freedom of speech is a given but if the vast majority of members are sick of hearing certain subjects then ........

Keep going on about it Clee. if you go on about it over and over again maybe someone will think your helping. :agree:

warpspeed
20-04-2010, 08:15

clee
20-04-2010, 08:33
Keep going on about it Clee. if you go on about it over and over again maybe someone will think your helping. :agree:

Morning .
I thought we'd move on but hey ....Up to you

Kenobi
20-04-2010, 08:34
Morning .
I thought we'd move on but hey ....Up to you

LOL yawn Lol some more. Do you get to have last word as you can lock up this thread?

clee
20-04-2010, 08:37
Yes .
Before we both say something we'll regret .