PDA

View Full Version : starter motor

modfather
15-04-2010, 15:46
ok i got a bit of a problem i put in a different engine and box etc etc and put the starter in went to start it and im getting quite a savage noise from the starter :cry: sounds like its not engaging proper ( the locating dowel is in place )and can see some damage to the teeth on the flywheel so i got the aa out he reckons that the starter teeth does not match the flywheel teeth can this be

James5
15-04-2010, 15:57
ok i got a bit of a problem i put in a different engine and box etc etc and put the starter in went to start it and im getting quite a savage noise from the starter :cry: sounds like its not engaging proper ( the locating dowel is in place )and can see some damage to the teeth on the flywheel so i got the aa out he reckons that the starter teeth does not match the flywheel teeth can this be

Incorrect starter motor or locating dowel is in the correct palce?

modfather
15-04-2010, 16:00
Incorrect starter motor or locating dowel is in the correct palce?

the dowel is defo in the right place.
can it be wrong starter not enough teeth or to many teeth

James5
15-04-2010, 16:19
the dowel is defo in the right place.
can it be wrong starter not enough teeth or to many teeth

:laugh: meant incorrect place.

But yeah I would be looking at the starter motor being incorrect for use on C1J flywheel pattern.

modfather
15-04-2010, 16:29
:scratch: the starter did come off c1j

when i got the engine ( thats in now )there was no flywheel on it.
a while back (last year) i got a block from a member as i was going to rebuild it but never got round to it so i used the flywheel from that engine which also a c1j.
could they off put a different flywheel on that cij block

modfather
15-04-2010, 19:37
can any1 confirm this part number on this starter its valeo 77 01 499 247

car.crash
15-04-2010, 19:40
is this the slim new model starter you have that eats the ring gear on flywheels or the old original fat one.
put up a picture of it.

modfather
15-04-2010, 19:47
its a fatty 1

car.crash
15-04-2010, 19:51
that looks like the right one. any pics on the damaged ring gear?

modfather
15-04-2010, 19:55
heres a pic of the gear on starter doesnt look to bad most of the damage is on the flywheel right on the end of the teeth

TrixNFlix
15-04-2010, 20:05
Fancy taking a pic in focus rob?! :cooter:

modfather
15-04-2010, 20:08
Fancy taking a pic in focus rob?! :cooter:

i took that on the wifes phone im going to get some batterys and do with a camera

car.crash
15-04-2010, 20:11
is the ring gear located on the flywheel properly? as also said check the dowel. and make sure the started is fitted correctly and the starter is done up tight and sits flush.

modfather
15-04-2010, 20:17
yeap dowel defo sat in the right place ( in photo dowel sits in the red cirlced hole )
sits nice and flush with the box and done up tight as poss

TrixNFlix
15-04-2010, 20:19
How many teeth has it got? 9 is the norm, some uprated had 10

modfather
15-04-2010, 20:20
9 teeth

modfather
15-04-2010, 20:25
i took that on the wifes phone im going to get some batterys and do with a camera

wont be doing that then none of the batterys in the camera`s are any good :sad2:

TrixNFlix
15-04-2010, 20:25
ok, is it earthed properly? Try a big wire wedged round one of the starter motor holding bolts and ground it. It could be that the ring gear isnt jumping out as far as its supposed to and just touching the edge of your flywheel, causing that awful noise

modfather
15-04-2010, 20:39
yeah pritty sure earth ok as said in earlier post had the aa out and he thinks that the starter is not the right fit for the flywheel.
so if the starter is the right 1 and is fitted proper could it be the flywheel, is there a difference in flywheel size`s i say this because the damage to the flywhell is on the top of the teeth

car.crash
15-04-2010, 20:45
is the flywheel damage all the way round or just part way?

modfather
15-04-2010, 20:48
yeah i would say near enough all way round

car.crash
15-04-2010, 20:58
well im stumped then.

SCHWARTZ
15-04-2010, 20:58
I had this prob with my starter but played around with it for a couple of hours changing the dowel and bolts, ended up smacking it down with a hammer and it sorted it.:laugh: i ended up just using two bolts in the top two holes in the starter dont know if thats how it should be or what but it worked.

SCHWARTZ
15-04-2010, 21:02
forgot to mention my starter broke so i swapped it, couldnt get it to fit properly it ate the ring gear, changed the ring gear and it still didnt engage properly so i did what i previously said, hope this makes sense. :confused:

modfather
15-04-2010, 21:02
ive tried it with 1 bolt 2 bolts and 3 bolts still no different :brickwall: i have got a spare flywheel i am concidering swaping them over see if that makes a differnce

modfather
15-04-2010, 21:06
forgot to mention my starter broke so i swapped it, couldnt get it to fit properly it ate the ring gear, changed the ring gear and it still didnt engage properly so i did what i previously said, hope this makes sense. :confused:

the ring gear dont look as bad as the flywheel does

car.crash
15-04-2010, 21:11
the ring gear goes around the flywheel.

TrixNFlix
15-04-2010, 21:11
It does sound like you have chewed a bit too much off the flywheel. I would deffo try the extra earth on the starter first, as it worked for me before taking it off though.

modfather
15-04-2010, 21:17
It does sound like you have chewed a bit too much off the flywheel. I would deffo try the extra earth on the starter first, as it worked for me before taking it off though.

ok how would you do that then wire from where to where

James5
15-04-2010, 21:21
ok how would you do that then wire from where to where

Just place an earth cable from one of the bolts that hold the starter in place to a bare metal part of the chassis/ shell of your 5.

modfather
15-04-2010, 21:25
Just place an earth cable from one of the bolts that hold the starter in place to a bare metal part of the chassis/ shell of your 5.

1 of the bolts that go though the box to starter good enough

SCHWARTZ
15-04-2010, 22:03

modfather
16-04-2010, 08:14
ok im going to try the earthing and going to hit it with hammer too see what happens i will update later big thanks to all that has helped :goodJob:

James5
16-04-2010, 09:40
1 of the bolts that go though the box to starter good enough

:agree: thats what i meant sorry

When you had the starter of was the cog that engages with the flywheel loose in anyway (should have no side to side movement if it has the bush at the end has gone this could cause grinding and eating of the flywheel ring gear), did you test it to make sure it engages / moves fine?
Whilst the starter motor is off the car did you test it to make sure it engages and works fine?? (with one of the jump leads run it from battery negative / earth to starter body and with the live jump lead run that to the constant feed on the starter, with a seperate well suited cable run that to the solenoid this will thjen enable the starter motor to work and you can see if it is engaging properly and not wonky etc.. (You will need to put your foot on the starter otherwise she will jump about).

modfather
16-04-2010, 11:34
ok heres the update gave the starter a clout and another earth and it has worked:yeah: turns over lovely just wont fire up got spark but when i got the carb was told it may well have bigger jets in so going to get some standard sized jets in and then im hoping that its going to start like it should

thanks again guys for you help

TrixNFlix
16-04-2010, 12:31
Happy days. :agree:

modfather
16-04-2010, 12:36
oh yes be even more happier when i got it running proper do you know what size the standard jets are

James5
16-04-2010, 12:46
oh yes be even more happier when i got it running proper do you know what size the standard jets are

120main
125 a/c
1.0 1st stage
1.0 2nd stage non removable jet (people drill out)

modfather
16-04-2010, 14:26
120main
125 a/c
1.0 1st stage
1.0 2nd stage non removable jet (people drill out)

brilliant just went to renault and they said they are not availble any more know anywhere to get some from

James5
16-04-2010, 14:29
brilliant just went to renault and they said they are not availble any more know anywhere to get some from

StuTHC was selling a load of jets in various sizes on this thread

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=9695&highlight=carb+jets

I am sure he will have some spare.

As said though you can't replace the 2nd stage so if it's been enlarged there is no going back to standard unless you are confident and want to drill and tap it to fit an a/c jet.

modfather
16-04-2010, 14:48
StuTHC was selling a load of jets in various sizes on this thread

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=9695&highlight=carb+jets

I am sure he will have some spare.

As said though you can't replace the 2nd stage so if it's been enlarged there is no going back to standard unless you are confident and want to drill and tap it to fit an a/c jet.

thanks i did just find a old carb i had lying around not sure what jets are in there.
how will i no if the jet has been drilled out

James5
16-04-2010, 15:05
thanks i did just find a old carb i had lying around not sure what jets are in there.
how will i no if the jet has been drilled out

The only way to find out is by using micro drill bits and graudal go up in size until you can't fit in (Don't force the mirco drill bits in) and that will tell you what size it was drilled out to.

modfather
16-04-2010, 15:21
The only way to find out is by using micro drill bits and graudal go up in size until you can't fit in (Don't force the mirco drill bits in) and that will tell you what size it was drilled out to.

drill bits around here having a laugh :laugh: have you got pic or diagram of which jets are which and where .
even if the jets are bigger would the car still run

James5
16-04-2010, 15:30
drill bits around here having a laugh :laugh: have you got pic or diagram of which jets are which and where .
even if the jets are bigger would the car still run

Pic 1 - 2nd Stage (non removable jet)
http://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%20Files/Solex%2032%20Dis%20Carb%20Information/IMG_3315.jpg

Pic 2 - Air Corrector Jet
http://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%20Files/Solex%2032%20Dis%20Carb%20Information/Ac%20jet.JPG

unfortunatly no pics of the main jet and the 1st stage but I am sure there is a section in the article bit.

Ok found it here's link
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=460

modfather
16-04-2010, 15:37
thats perfect i will have a look at my spare see whats in there
even if i got bigger jets in the carb on the car would it still start

James5
16-04-2010, 15:45
thats perfect i will have a look at my spare see whats in there
even if i got bigger jets in the carb on the car would it still start

Yeah should start but could be rich.

modfather