PDA

View Full Version : removing front cross member

TNT Tricky Nicky
14-04-2010, 20:36
i want to replace my front cross member, looking at it, it's not gonna be a simple task but the thing i can't get my head around, which will probably be the easiest bit is what happens to the sub frame while the old one is out and before i put the new one back?

the car is all four wheels on the ground, nothing removed, when i remove the cross member will it pivot on the rear mount causing the shell to hit the floor or will the supports to the chassis legs hold it in place, in turn will this be ok to do?

should i put a jack under the rear of the sub frame or at the front or both? :scratch:

the sub frame will be coming off at some point but haven't got the space to take it off and store it while i work on the car otherwise I'd just take it off and have the shell on axle stands

any help would be great as i know I'll not be able to stop thinking about all the possibilities!

gimme5
16-04-2010, 10:20
you can replace with subframe in place,this also helps you line up new cross member,check out my pics have a few showing front cross member off:agree:

TNT Tricky Nicky
17-04-2010, 11:36
:agree: thanks for the reply.

was thinking it would be the easiest way to line it up, bolt the new one to the sub frame then spot weld everything else back in place

gimme5
17-04-2010, 17:41
thats right, you can also make various scribe marks before you take off this also helps,you can get part or complete front panels which include inner wings:agree:

TNT Tricky Nicky
17-04-2010, 19:25
where's the best place to get replacement panel now as beavers has gone bust?

front upper slam panels with inner wing support? haven't found these anywhere as only been able to find upper slam panel and cross member. thought the rest is only from renault direct, if not that would save a few £££s

gimme5
17-04-2010, 19:33
have you tried hadrian panels,maybe you can only get complete from reno,i did dont think it cost that much and you get a better fit,if you have reno dialogy thiers about 6 different options you can go for:)

TNT Tricky Nicky
17-04-2010, 19:41
i did find hadrians but their online catalogue doesn't give a price.

i'm too scared to ask renault as i've already asked for one inner arch and wing support and that was over £300 for those two, i imagine the whole front would cost more than the car would be worth :eek:

gimme5
17-04-2010, 19:47
bloody hell!!!!
i did'nt pay anything near that
at the time i was a paintsprayer at a renault bodyshop must of got a good
discount glad i bought all panels before i left

TNT Tricky Nicky
17-04-2010, 19:54
a staff discount is always a bonus

i suppose it's a case now that all requested parts are now specially made and sent from France so isn't going to be cheap

mind you all parts seemed to have near enough doubled in price and i can only see they going one way

gimme5
17-04-2010, 19:57
i still get my bits from garage as i left on good terms,i will get a price for myself just out of intrest, will tell you what i found out on monday:agree:

TNT Tricky Nicky
17-04-2010, 20:01
that would be great,

i'm after cross member, upper slam panel, n/s inner arch and wing support

if possible can you post up part no and price they quote :agree:

personally i feel they saw me coming and thought they'd bend me over!

gimme5
17-04-2010, 20:18
77 51 465 774 thats for slam panel,cross member and wing suports all in one piece,
will get number for n/s inner wing and post prices up on monday,im sure at the time he could of got me the above but with both inner wings on also,this would make it easy to replace as it is all one piece and you only need to weld along inner wing and top supports

hope that all make sense:agree:

TNT Tricky Nicky
17-04-2010, 20:38
that does indeed, more than i could hope for to be honest!

if that works out cheaper then it's worth doing the whole lot as the os needs some repair to the inner arch anyway

thanks for you're help so far, will wait and see what you find out :)

gimme5
17-04-2010, 20:49
77 51 660 457 n/s inner wing
77 51 660 458 0/s inner wing

prices to follow:agree:

gimme5
19-04-2010, 13:54
£300 for complete front panel(slam,cross,suports)
os/ns inner wing are seperate but included in price

phase i 16 v turbo
19-04-2010, 15:07
I can beat that price and keep them in stock (OE)

TNT Tricky Nicky
19-04-2010, 15:47
Cheers for the leg work, cheaper to get the whole lot than source oe and aftermarket, that's a suprise.

Hi mike, tried sending a pm the other day but said your inbox was full, if you wouldn't mind pming me a price Inc p&p and payment details I'll have the front end package please

If anybody is interested cross member from Hadrian panels is 24.70 +vat
Upper panel... 37.70 +vat.