PDA

View Full Version : Internet settings

m5tt
13-04-2010, 21:37
ok guys,

I am looking to no success for my internets pass key so that I can connect my laptop to my wireless router.

we currently have the problem of mums Ex loosing our pass key :scratch: is there a way in which we can retreave this.

We currently have x2 pc's and a laptop connected currently to the router but our router was replaced last year by my mothers Ex partner who decided he wouldn't jot down the new pass key on the new router and loose the only piece of paper that had it on (Moronic I know:disagree:)

How is it possible to retreave this

Many thanks

markg
13-04-2010, 21:47
Best bet is probably going to be reseting your router and setting it back up again. First thing to do is download the manual, if you dont have it, and make sure your comfortable with doing it.

D4WNO
13-04-2010, 21:47
Usually when you first connect a wireless router to various laptops etc you need to enter in the code from the bottom of the router itself. If this is not the code that you require then you will need to phone your ISP

m5tt
13-04-2010, 21:52
Thanks for the quick shot replys , :agree:

Me = PC knowledge = rubbish ... So I'll stay clear and ask for some assistance :agree: .

yeah the routers been changed thats the problem as no ones put the code down :disagree:

markg
13-04-2010, 21:53
Actually you could try this. From a command prompt type in IPCONFIG and press enter. Look for the IP address of your default gateway, most probably this is going to be your wireless router. Then from a browser window enter http:// followed by the ip address of your default gateway. Now if you get a login screen, as D4WNO has suggested, take a look at the bottom of your router as some list the Admin username and password. If not download the manual for your router and the default username and password should be listed. If you can get it to log in, assuming it hasnt been changed (you will be supprised how many people dont bother) then you can reset your password for wireless access.

This is assuming your on Windows and not Linux or Mac OS.

m5tt
13-04-2010, 21:56
Actually you could try this. From a command prompt type in IPCONFIG and press enter. Look for the IP address of your default gateway, most probably this is going to be your wireless router. Then from a browser window enter http:// followed by the ip address of your default gateway. Now if you get a login screen, as D4WNO has suggested, take a look at the bottom of your router as some list the Admin username and password. If not download the manual for your router and the default username and password should be listed. If you can get it to log in, assuming it hasnt been changed (you will be supprised how many people dont bother) then you can reset your password for wireless access.

This is assuming your on Windows and not Linux or Mac OS.

Thank you so much for your time

m5tt
13-04-2010, 22:00
ok I just tried as you suggested how ever I got the following

Connection Interupted

The document contains no data

The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please try again.

:scratch::scratch:

markg
13-04-2010, 22:09
What version of windows are you running and what make and model is your wireless router. PM me and will see if I can help you out rather than fill up the boards. :)