PDA

View Full Version : turbo oil feed

SCHWARTZ
12-04-2010, 20:00
does the standard oil feed need to be changed even if its in good condition?
are they known to break? and has anyone had a braided one made up recently and how much did it cost and who made it?

Adam L
12-04-2010, 21:39
There's no need to change an oil feed pipe, unless you're using a turbo with a different thread size to standard.

SCHWARTZ
12-04-2010, 21:46
i was wondering as some people have said to change it. It is a solid pipe so dosnt flex but does it need to as the turbo bolts to the engine so if the engine moves so does the turbo?

Adam L
12-04-2010, 22:02
The braided pipes aren't exactly flexible themselves, have you tried to bend one?

and you do realise the braiding is only there to protect the rubber pipe that lies underneath. It's all cosmetics.

SCHWARTZ
12-04-2010, 22:09
ok cool il stick with the o/e spec volvo one just didnt want to fit the engine then have to change the pipe with the engine fitted due to it cracking as it would be awkward. il check the pipe fits the turbo well and it dosnt leak if so il stick with it.:D

TrixNFlix
12-04-2010, 23:05
ok cool il stick with the o/e spec volvo one just didnt want to fit the engine then have to change the pipe with the engine fitted due to it cracking as it would be awkward. il check the pipe fits the turbo well and it dosnt leak if so il stick with it.:D

Trust me, change It for the sake of £30, the weak points are were the metals are brazed (around were the pipe has the brackets to screw into the back of the block) I saw this a couple of weeks ago,sprayed oil everywhere, and can catch fire as it sprays onto the Exhaust manifold.:eek:

philg
13-04-2010, 11:30
I was thinking the same with mine as it looks brand new.

Like andy mentioned though, is not worth the hassel so will be doing mine just to be sure :)

phil

GTphil
13-04-2010, 14:47
I have had one split on me before, luckly I have a keen nose and was only at idle at the time:crap: So no harm done!

Braided one gets my vote every time!:agree:

SCHWARTZ
13-04-2010, 16:37
riteo chaps il give hose solutions a call.