PDA

View Full Version : More help.

Smokey
12-04-2010, 08:10
I recently changed my radiator as it was shot and replaced with a copper core one as that was wat i had in there, now thats shot.

What radiator should i get now wats best for the job and wont need changing again a couple of months down the line.

I had the copper one from GSF so is under guarantee and i can get my money back.

Thanks Mat

Smokey
12-04-2010, 08:22
iv just been browsing ebay and are the alloy ones any good some have the oil cooler built in too wer as some you need seperate.

Smokey
12-04-2010, 08:24
Better still Valeo radiator form Euro car parts at half the price.

Will this produce enough cooling running a T25 at 20 psi.

Thanks Mat

car.crash
12-04-2010, 08:58
Valeo will be fine. Flush the heater matrix when the rads off to clear
any gunk out.

benj88
12-04-2010, 09:59
Does the valeo have the oil cooler built in? Is it best to run them with the seperate oil cooler?

James5
12-04-2010, 11:08
Does the valeo have the oil cooler built in? Is it best to run them with the seperate oil cooler?

If you go for the GTT valeo rad then yes it has oil cooler built in. Cooling wise and if you want to go for external it's up to you. The standard rad keeps the oil at the perfect temp if you go external you will need a stat but it would eliminate the standard rad oil core splitting and going into the coolant part to which it does happen.

Sparkie
12-04-2010, 12:47
it would eliminate the standard rad oil core splitting and going into the coolant part to which it does happen.

as a matter of interest, how many times have you heard of this happening?
once a year?
twice a year?

or more like once in 10 years.....?

Smokey
12-04-2010, 13:03
How do i flush the heater matrix.

LampsR5
12-04-2010, 13:45
is this radiator broke in the same places as the last one? because if it is it must be something to do with the spal fitments as they attach throught the fins theres no strength between the cores on one of these to support the weight of the fan especially when it spins up, thats what i think cos i have had my coppper core for a couple of years now n its still ok?

maybe look at fitting the fan differently next time using the original fan assembly maybe matt?

Smokey
12-04-2010, 13:50
i thort that but it seems to be on the front not the fan side i think, im gona take the bumper off an get a better look, will i still be able to use the spal fan on a valeo with the original bracket mount. Dont spose you have one.

James5
12-04-2010, 14:23
as a matter of interest, how many times have you heard of this happening?
once a year?
twice a year?

or more like once in 10 years.....?

:laugh: I've seen it twice in 10years :laugh: and have read about it only once on here:ashamed: so no not common really

Alastair
12-04-2010, 15:37
How do i flush the heater matrix.

Mathew,

A standard Valeo radiator is exactly what you need with the OE oil cooling. Alloy ones just look bling, no extra cooling potential.

Remove the old rad and the top coolant hose from the water pump.

Next remove the heater matrix to water pump hose at the water pump end only.

Next the header tank to heater matrix hose at the header tank end. (The heater matrix is inside the car and the hoses connect to the bulkhead behind the downpipe.

Turn your hose pipe up to max and flush the heater matrix through the hoses you took off. Also worth flushing through the waterpump from where the top radiator hose connects up. You will know it is done as the water coming out will not be orange and rusty any more just clear. It can take some time.

Before you fit your Spal fan to the new radiator i would use some Sikaflex 221 (or similar hi-grab silicone based adhesive) run around the mouting face of the fan. This will stop it rattling on the Spal supplied 'pins' that go through the rad, which can quickly damage your radiator. Also worth considering are the 'cable tie type' clips to hold your fan on instead of the metal spal 'pins' they are cheap enough on ebay.

Good luck getting it sorted :agree:.

Smokey
12-04-2010, 18:11
Thanks for everyones help, ill put the fan on better next time with wat Alaistar suggested, is it possible to attach the spal fan the way it would normally be with the bracket or does it have to go through the fins.

The valeo rad Euro car parts have is 344x396x34 Ref No 665137 is this the correct one with the OE oil cooling as the person on the foan wasnt very helpful/knowledgable.

Im going to go get it tommorrow if it is.

gtmatt
12-04-2010, 18:28
i would get a valeo rad , they are good imo copper core rads are poor , how much is the rad from euro ??:)

Smokey
12-04-2010, 18:38
£56 i think but i need to know if its the right one.

Brigsy
12-04-2010, 18:42
Stick another £100 on that price mate. The rad listed on the euro car parts is for a campus, Kris m checked it out a while back.

Bin the spal & get an o.e fan fitted;)

Smokey
12-04-2010, 18:45
there you go then not the right one, Thanks :agree: no point in getting it then, wer can i get one from then as my copper one cost £147

Mart
12-04-2010, 18:49
GSF (www.gsfcarparts.com (http://www.gsfcarparts.com)) You should get a 10% discount with your rtoc membership card.

Smokey
12-04-2010, 18:56
£132 from GSF and beens has i got my copper one from there an it leaking should just get a swap.

But heres my dilema iv just been and had a look under the car where iv had a board since 5 o'clock after id been on a run and theres no leak. :scratch::confused:

Wers it gone.lol jus gona monitor it for a few days and im taking the bumper off tomorrow to get a better look at it as it seemed to be leaking from the front this morning before work.

Thanking you.

Kris M
12-04-2010, 22:03
Yeah as Brigsy has said, i quickly ordered a so called Valeo rad for a renault 5 gt turbo as shown on the Euro car parts website, to soon be dissapointed when a campus rad arrived. I did try and blag a proper GTT rad for the same price saying thay had falsley advertised it but they were having none of it :D

J$£5GTT
12-04-2010, 22:11
GSF (www.gsfcarparts.com (http://www.gsfcarparts.com)) You should get a 10% discount with your rtoc membership card.

get the price then produce your rtoc ftw card not before..:wasntme: