PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Bart GTTI
10-10-2008, 01:08
First post!

Hello everybody,

My name is Bart and I live in Eindhoven, the Netherlands.
I own a 5 GTTI from '90. In my country it's known as a Bleu Sport (or Blue Sport). It's the last version of the 5 GTT. Perhaps it has another name in GB...

The first owner bought it when she was 50 (!) and sold/gave it to her daughter when she was 62. In all that time all the repairs and everything were made by the dealer, the Renault garage. Not just some guy on the corner... I bought the car with 90.xxx km's. The car was in mint condition!! :D Everything worked! Even the electrics and not even the seats were damaged! Everything was original!

The car is in my posession for about 3 years now, and in that time I've made some improvements...:

Got me some nice Clio 16v wheels (turbine?),
Lowered the suspension,
Fitted a K-Tec 2 1/4" sash cut exhaust, (love the sound!!)
Got me a big FMIC,
T25/T3 Turbo with 2,5"elbow for a bit more pressure ;),

Then it was time to give the car some more power so I fitted EFI (from MB Carperformance), have to say that that does make a big difference! Got a bunch of torque more than standard!

Then I drove a while at 17psi. (Guessing I've got 160bhp or so at the wheels, trust me, the fuel injection really makes a lot of difference)
Loving it at that point! Believe me, there isn't that much that'll beat you... I don't race that often in Eindhoven (cause I don't meet someone that'll try), but I haven't met anybody who could beat me...! But after a while I got used to the power and needed new kick in the... I got a bleedvalve and pushed the engine a bit further, at 22psi. Unfortunatily the standard engine didn't like it that much... The wheather got a lot worse 'cause of the big blue clouds that came out of the exhaust... :crap:

At that point I had to renew most of the components of the engine (I'm sure there's a proper English word for it but I forgot it... In Dutch it's called: reviseren)

At first ('till now) I drove with normal compression pistons, but after a while when they told me I couldn't drive with more than 17 psi, I had to do something else.... :rolleyes: Call me crazy... (nobody will race me... :confused: ) So I've ordered me some low comp pistons... :D Let the power come!!
I hope to fit them within a month (need to find the time and space). Hope to drive at 22psi soon!

I hope that the the engine will spit out about some 220bhp and 236 fp (or 320nm) of torque... (just about the same as: http://www.mbcarperformance.nl/catalog/pages.php?page=film )

Perhaps (probably :D ) I'll have an 1.8 or2.0 16v turbo garged engine in the future!

Here some pics of my car: (I can't find out how to show you the pics, sorry, seems to be different in Holland ;-p)

http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Foto-4IHWSSAD.jpg

http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Foto-I44YZXLJ.jpg

If anybody has a question or remark I'll be happy to answer them!
And I'll ask the questions in the therefore places...

I'm sure I'll be in a meeting in the UK at some time...

Kind regards,

Bart

dave j gtt
10-10-2008, 08:50
I got a bleedvalve and pushed the engine a bit further, at 22psi. Unfortunatily the standard engine didn't like it that much...

nice car and set up :cool:

untill this , think this was your mistake , when turning the boost up, it has to be rolling roaded or road tested as your turning it up, to see and correct the fueling in accordance to the boost. ie if it starts leaning off as you increse boost. you need i geuss in your case"it re-maped" and the fueling correct or these little push rods do there head gaskets for fun if poorly tuned ;)

club members often go to the the nurmburg "the ring" which i imagin is closer than coming to england. :laugh: there will be plenty of people to race there ;)

Tiny Tim
10-10-2008, 08:52
Hi Bart, welcome to the club. Lovely car and nice set-up :agree:

Martyn....11 Turbo
10-10-2008, 09:21
Hello :)

dave j gtt
10-10-2008, 15:38
:cool2:

Bart GTTI
10-10-2008, 20:27
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Thank you all! :)

untill this , think this was your mistake , when turning the boost up, it has to be rolling roaded or road tested as your turning it up, to see and correct the fueling in accordance to the boost. ie if it starts leaning off as you increse boost. you need i geuss in your case"it re-maped" and the fueling correct or these little push rods do there head gaskets for fun if poorly tuned ;)

The chip my car has is made/adjusted for a 5 GTTI with a FMIC and 22psi boost, so I don't think that was the problem. And even then, the adjustment was a bit rich just to be safe.
I think the problem was that my car has standard comp pistons. I've been told (after this had happened) that with standard pistons you can't drive with a boost higher than 17psi or you had a big chance that your engine will start to (I don't know the English word for it) premature combust?? :confused:

Untill this day I'm not exactly sure what the problem was. But anyway, it's fixed now!
And with the low comp pistons on the way I'm not worried that that will happen again any time soon.
But I'm open for suggestions!

I know and I will have to get my car adjusted on a rolling road or road for max performance, but that's for next summer. Can't fool around with the boost too much in the winter... :crap:

Greetz!

Big Steve - Raider
11-10-2008, 08:55
Hey Bart, Welcome to the club mate!

Like your car, looks nice!

The Bleu Sport was called a Raider in the UK (have a look at the pictures on my profile) & the Alain Oreille in France.

Hope to meet you at a future event?

dave j gtt
12-10-2008, 01:01
you done well joining this club ;)

any one else checked these vidios out??

http://www.mbcarperformance.nl/catalog/pages.php?page=film

BriC
12-10-2008, 01:06

any one else checked these vidios out??

http://www.mbcarperformance.nl/catalog/pages.php?page=film

I want EFI :(

Think I might have to start saving the pennies.

Bart GTTI
13-10-2008, 00:15
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Have done good, I hope! :D

Hope to have (or, should have!) the power output as you see in the pics (the second film!) of: Vermogensbankfilm R5 GT turbo injectie!
Should be around 220bhp at the kranckshaft (or is it flywheel?)

@Big Steve: Thanks! Nice to know what type I've got. I knew abut the Alain Oreille but not about the Raider... Thanks!

@ BriC: I know it's quite a lot of money, but it's worth it! I've got a bunch of torque more! When I just got the EFI it was tested on a rolling road: at 14psi. I went to just over 160 ft lbs (213nm, standard is around 160nm if I'm not mistaken) I does make a big difference! You can really feel it! And no trouble at all trying to start the car when it has just been turned off when warm....! :agree:

Shane P
13-10-2008, 09:10
I think the problem was that my car has standard comp pistons. I've been told (after this had happened) that with standard pistons you can't drive with a boost higher than 17psi or you had a big chance that your engine will start to (I don't know the English word for it) premature combust?? :confused:

Standard compression pistons will take 22psi + without popping :smokin:

Mart
13-10-2008, 09:14
Every now & then, maybe, but over a period of time they won't - The durability of the ringlands simply aren't upto the job.

If you want reliability at that level of boost & upwards, forged pistons is where you need to be.