PDA

View Full Version : mapping gti 106 track car

jonnyshaw49
08-04-2010, 19:46
hi my mate has a 106 started life as a diesel, fully stripped out , gti engine fitted new cams and verniers, headwork,lb flywheel multi angle valves, uprated fuel pump. The engine was in his gti before swopping it into the new car and on rolling road produced 158 bhp and 114 ftlb torque. then had it re mapped to 163 bhp and 118 torque. then a few months later the engine was put in this new car, but on swopping the engine a stainless exhaust manifold and sytem was fitted and he ended up snapping a bolt off into the head. when starting the car the bolt jammed in and snapped the woodruff key off the vernier and bent some valves. so lad motorsport took the head off and re lapped and replaced valves and timed engine up.so car came back and all was well, so then he fitted a wideband and got it mapped again to run on methanol and the car was spot on fuelling running 12.9 afrs. the car was then put on the rolling road again and the car only ran 158 bhp and 118 torque , and the rpm was lower on the graph. so the same engine running methanol and full stainless system is running 158 bhp when before was running 163 without an exhaust and methanol. my mate is convinced the timing is wrong on the cam but the guy on the rolling road said he doesnt want to touch it as fuelling is spot on and doesnt think he will get any gains. so do you guys think that altering the cam would produce more power? and that when this valve work was done they could have been put back differently?? does anyone know anyone around burnley lancashire who could mess with the cams timing to get any gains as the car should be running around 170 bhp with methanol? also the cars power on the rolling road graphs topped out at lower rpm this time. looking at the slope on the graph the second cam kicked in at 5200 rpm where as last time on the rolling road 4500 rpm. anyone got any ideas and sorry for the essay just wanna try n get it sorted for santa pod, thanks

Chris Hebden
08-04-2010, 19:49
hi my mate has a 106 started life as a diesel, fully stripped out , gti engine fitted new cams and verniers, headwork,lb flywheel multi angle valves, uprated fuel pump, the engine was in his gti before swopping it into the new car and on rolling road produced 158 bhp and 114 ftlb torque then re mapped to 163 bhp and 118 torque, then the engine a few months later was put in this new car, but on swopping a stainless exhaust manifold and sytem was fitted and he ended up snapping a bolt off into the head and when starting the car the bolt jammed in and snapped the woodruff key off the vernier and bent some valves, so lad motorsport took the head off and re lapped and replaced valves and timed engine up, so car came back and all was well, so then he fitted a wideband and got it mapped to run on methanol and the car was spot on fuelling running 12.9 afrs, then the car was put on the rolling road and the car only ran 158 bhp and 118 torque , and the rpm was lower on the graph, so the same engine running methanol and full stainless system is running 158 bhp when before was running 163, the guy is convinced the timing is wrong on the cam but the guy on the rolling road said he doesnt want to touch it as fuelling is spot on and doesnt think he will get any gains, so do you guys think that altering the cam would produce more power, and that when this valve work was done they could have been put back differently?? does anyone know anyone around burnley lancashire who could mess with the cams timing to get any gains as the car should be running around 170 bhp with methanol, also the cars power on the rolling road graphs topped out at lower rpm this time and also looking at the slope on the graph the second cam kicked in at 5200 rpm where as last time around 4500 rpm. anyone got any ideas and sorry for the essay just wanna try n get it sorted for santa pod, thanks

WOW! Could you go through that and add a couple of full stops in there or break it up? Its really hard to read

jonnyshaw49
08-04-2010, 19:54
will edit it now sorry

jonnyshaw49
08-04-2010, 20:01
done it now hope that helps lol

Chris Hebden
08-04-2010, 20:07
Umm yea, kind of :laugh:! It could be something simple like differences in the rolling roads (if it was tuned at different places). Was the exhaust a full system i.e. manifold and straight through or cat back type system?

Ross
08-04-2010, 21:44
to be honest mate i had a 106 gti before my 5 and 158bhp without throttle bodies is very good goin i would put it down to the rollers was it a different rolling road? you can get different readings everytime you run a car on rollers if it is timing it wouldnt make massive amounts of difference as you dont have loads of room to play on those engines before the valves start to clip the pistons. i would be happy with those results as it is!!

BluntyR5GTT
09-04-2010, 06:45
good way of finding out what it had would of been to do some 1/4 mile sprints, never trust rollers as the be all and end all of the figures. does the car feel any diff now to what it did before ?

jonnyshaw49
09-04-2010, 07:41
Yeh car has had a full exhaust system and the cat removed, the rolling roads were the same ones each time and the temperature was only 1 degree colder this time around.his mate has the same engine and cams fitted and hes producing 169 bhp and without methanol, where methanol should give roughly 10 percent gain. so its an odd one, hes going to bring it to pod so a few sprints will give a better reading. hes just not happy spending all the money on exhaust and remap and methanol and lost bhp, he said the car feels alot different now has a flat spot just before 4000 rpm and when the cam kicks in it kicks in hard, any ideas?thanks for the help

jonnyshaw49
17-04-2010, 19:35
Anyone? :(