PDA

View Full Version : R5 GTTurbo 2

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Bass J
03-12-2010, 22:17
just sat and read this whole project! ..will be watching this one :D ..love it!:D

HAndy
03-12-2010, 23:34
just sat and read this whole project! ..will be watching this one :D ..love it!:D

bring on 2011 will be a track tastic year hopefully:laugh:

remote head and re-routed oil lines fitted now, also alloy pipe welded on dump valve return pipe so with a bit of luck and better weather on its way , should be up and running again soon:D

Bass J
04-12-2010, 19:40
niceone :D..hope to see it at rtoc's next national day :D

TNT ANDY
12-12-2010, 09:01
And........;)

Come on Andy Any news

If you need some new ideas......

You where wondering about the rear spoiler etc......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iLvgAMphdQ&feature=fvw

:cooter::cooter::cooter::cooter::cooter:
Pease read the comments

Os8472
12-12-2010, 09:35
And........;)

Come on Andy Any news

yeah ****ing parts that cost alot but are of poor quality slowing things down alot, can't believe what happened, oh well, no major harm done

HAndy
12-12-2010, 10:20
And........;)

Come on Andy Any news

yep ,started up the beast again yesterday,and all was good for ten minutes then the blanking plate that covers the oil sandwich plate broke away,leaving a pool of oil on my shingle drive:cry:lucky i was stood there when it happened and the engine was only idling , so got on the phone straight away for a new blanking plate which will be here wensday :crap: seems strange why it has sheared off half way up the threaded section that holds into the block, didnt over tighten, and oil flow direction was right:scratch:

bolted up my extender brackets to 4 pot calipers they all fit great:cool:
and fitted the brake line fittings ready for fitment onto the new hubs when they are finished this coming friday:rolleyes: (been a long wait)

also purchased some 22mm thick expanded foam sheets to fit to the rear engine covers to help keep noise down as it is a bit loud :laugh::laugh:
os8427 kindly let me have his f7r injectors (240cc ish) which will replace my 190cc injectors,will get them cleaned and fitted to the front bank of injectors with the final map next year:)
should also pick up my new wing mirrors and rear upper light trims along with 8x injector clips this coming friday,the trims/mirrors are to replace the faded items that are on the car,

after talking to os8427 last night and looking his f7r engine, it has a cam sensor located in the inlet side cam cover, which would be very handy for sequential injection , rather than the batch fire im running , so will be on the look out in the breakers for them:cooter:

stud kit turned up, which will make life easier when changing my wheels, also purchased a pulley idle wheel/bearing ,which i will plate mount and fit onto waterpump area to help keep tension on the aux belt where it runs from crank to alternator:)

and thats it for a while......:laugh:

TNT ANDY
12-12-2010, 10:22
yeah ****ing parts that cost alot but are of poor quality slowing things down alot, can't believe what happened, oh well, no major harm done

What's gone on the O?

c7borg
14-12-2010, 12:09
also purchased some 22mm thick expanded foam sheets to fit to the rear engine covers to help keep noise down as it is a bit loud :laugh::laugh:

Hi mate, that sounds a good idea, are they going on top or on the inside of the engine bay? where did you order them from?

sorry to here of the mishap.. especially as you're so close!! :)

HAndy
14-12-2010, 23:00
Hi mate, that sounds a good idea, are they going on top or on the inside of the engine bay? where did you order them from?

sorry to here of the mishap.. especially as you're so close!! :)

sorry Andy ,the foam came from where i work on the RAF base :ashamed:
found the same stuff on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/soundproofing-heat-insulation-sheets-closed-cell-foam-/300485518731?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item45f655258b#ht_500wt_922
bit expensive though:crap:

if i can get any more i will (6'x4' foot size they are) and intend on fitting to inside of engine panels/covers as the 6mm foam i put in has bubbled in places :laugh:

as regards to the oil cover plate, couldnt believe it!!!!!:sad:

c7borg
06-01-2011, 15:57
What shafts and wishbones are you running on yours? and have you just locked the steering rack or have you fixed some tie bars somewhere? (have you got any piccies?)

I'm going to try going back to tie bars on the steering as I'm not happy with my fixed hub idea.

HAndy
06-01-2011, 16:33
you can just make them out in the bottom right of this picture
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/attachment.php?attachmentid=6663&d=1276979488

they are an adjustable tie rod
here they are http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/os8472/HA%20RWD%20Project/project5gtt016.jpg

they sit parallel with the wish bones, although that picture above does'nt show it that well,

or this which is of a rear engined nova http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y251/chip-3door/4m2/struts-swapped.jpg

you should be leaps and bounds ahead of me andy:laugh::laugh:

c7borg
06-01-2011, 16:36
Yeah, sometimes I think I'm going backward... I just want to go race this year and enjoy it instead of working on it :)

c7borg
06-01-2011, 16:37
they are an adjustable tie rod
here they are http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/os8472/HA%20RWD%20Project/project5gtt016.jpg

They're nice and chunky where did you get the parts from for them? do you have some details?

HAndy
06-01-2011, 16:50
tie rod ends are of a 5gtt and the rod ends/lock nuts and male inserts are from rally design and are welded into a section of hollow tube, and then powder coated.cant rember the part numbers , would need to shuffle through the heaps of invoices to find them :(

hope that helps Andy:)

c7borg
06-01-2011, 16:56
that's great, where did you get the hollow tube from and are the male inserts M14 or M16?

I had been buying mine from mcgill motorsports but they only do upto M12

c7borg
06-01-2011, 16:58
oh and do you know what the r5 rod ends are? I can never work out the thread sizes..

HAndy
06-01-2011, 17:36
they are a m14 and the the rod is 25mm o/a diameter the fittings / inserts i had made come to think about it and the threads where left/right handed to make adjustment for toe in /out more easy, cant remember the thread pitch for the 5 gtt track rod end as they where a strange pitch ,and was cheaper to let the machine shop do them as it was for me to buy the tap and do them myself.

rods are 230mm long that includes the fittings /inserts,
and they are attached to the subframe by a u shapet brackets welded each side of the subframe where the the steering rack used to be , but lower,then bolts pass through the u shaped bracket and through the rod ends with a nyloc nut on the bottom to hold them in place :)

hope that helps

c7borg
07-01-2011, 09:20
hope that helps

It does thanks, I'll be on the phone to RD today :)

HAndy
12-02-2011, 20:12
time for an update,
the valver wishbone and abs hubs are now fitted all round ,which has really pulled the rear wheels in and lost most of the massive negative camber, i have also moved the front strut positions ,and pushed them out towards the wings approx 15mm each side,again to eliminate the large amount of negative camber due to wider wishbones, just waiting for the modded strut brace to come back to finish the suspension side of things;)

the remote oil filter/head so far has been working well in its new position and no problems there which is a bonus:p have also fitted the 50mm bov, which has got rid of the hesitant response at idle when bliping the throttle,and pulling away so to speak, the second charge cooler is fitted and plumbed in, to help aid air intake temp,would have liked to have plumbed it in before the eaton ,but just not the space:( may re fit water injection to aid cooling at a set boost level:scratch:

have also fitted rad temp gauge(feed into engine),and a gearbox oil gauge, keeping an eye on the gearbox at higher bhp/ftlb levels as this is still my big weak spot, and interested to see how much heat the rad takes out when the engine is being pushed hard around track etc.

wilwood brakes fitted and finished bleeding this afternoon with the help of ollie, now ready for a re mot, which i will push for end of this month weather permitting:laugh:

still got to fit seat padding and new floor mats,wheels to get powder coated and buy new turbo,fit wastegate and pipe and possibly fit second silencer (to loud) still not as loud as my mates 2.3 duratec reliant kitten!!! what a beast:cool: i had concerns of high speed lift/stability in my 5, not anymore:eek::eek: fast !!!!

HAndy
12-02-2011, 20:22
also fiited my lancia delta grp a mirrors and bus sized rear view mirror :laugh:

ollie, picture please:D

mattk
14-02-2011, 09:35
:D Just read this thread and it looks awesome mate, can't wait to see it all finished, where are you having it setup?

HAndy
14-02-2011, 17:55
:D Just read this thread and it looks awesome mate, can't wait to see it all finished, where are you having it setup?

emerald ,as ive got the k6 ecu:)

would have gone with the adaptronic, but i i live too far away from anywhere that will programme it /set up. didnt fancy trying to limp long distances with the supercharger running,and dave at emerald is 15 mins from my house:) so went with the easy method :laugh:

in the process this week of getting the new turbo (gt3071r) :cooter:

tracking and suspension adjustments , possibly northhampton motorsports.

unless anyone knows of a better /closer company:scratch:

TNT Tricky Nicky
14-02-2011, 18:11
Could try shaun Taylor racing in Norwich for the suspension/geo setup, defo closer not used them but they do corner weighting and run cars in championship races so worth giving them a ring

They're behind the nelson hotel on rose lane

TNT Tricky Nicky
14-02-2011, 18:14
www.st-racing.com

HAndy
14-02-2011, 18:49
good call tricky :cool:

hows your 5 coming along;)

Os8472
16-02-2011, 19:31
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/os8472/HA%20RWD%20Project/Mirrors2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/os8472/HA%20RWD%20Project/Mirrors.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/os8472/HA%20RWD%20Project/Brakes3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/os8472/HA%20RWD%20Project/Brakes2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/os8472/HA%20RWD%20Project/Brakes.jpg

markey b
16-02-2011, 19:41
please paint the discs silver before you fit your wheels lol

HAndy
16-02-2011, 19:46
to late :D

you cant see much of em with the split rims on:laugh:

markey b
16-02-2011, 19:52
its the little details andy :p

TNT ANDY
16-02-2011, 19:53
www.st-racing.com

Good ol' Tricky:agree:

TNT ANDY
16-02-2011, 19:54
its the little details andy :p

Is that what she told you ?

HAndy
16-02-2011, 20:03
atp delivery came today:cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2:
that compressor housing is BIG:eek:

TNT Tricky Nicky
16-02-2011, 20:21
mine is still moving slowly (or not at all) :(

those mirrors look interesting, any more pictures of them?

HAndy
16-02-2011, 20:24
ollie , any more piccy's:D

philr5t
16-02-2011, 22:12
Love those wing mirrors mate loads looking forward to seeing it now this year :agree:

HAndy
16-02-2011, 23:03
yeah, cant wait to get it on the road, going to keep it at a sensible 200bhp at first though.........

........yeah right:laugh::laugh::laugh: wind up the boost going straight for the 400 mark. got my large supply of pampers extra large ready,for when the inevitable happens:burnrubber::burnrubber: except those streaks wont be black:laugh::laugh:

mattk
01-03-2011, 16:38

I had my 172 setup by them, very professional from the service they gave me, and well worth the money imo :cool:

http://i931.photobucket.com/albums/ad151/matt350/IMG_0039.jpg

c7borg
02-03-2011, 09:57

The question is what will they base your setup upon.. assuming a lot of these outfits will look to manufacturer parameters?

mattk
04-03-2011, 16:49
The question is what will they base your setup upon.. assuming a lot of these outfits will look to manufacturer parameters?

Yea fair one mate, i don't think he had the option in his computer for rear engined wide arched gtt :cool: any more progress andy?

HAndy
04-03-2011, 17:25
Yea fair one mate, i don't think he had the option in his computer for rear engined wide arched gtt :cool: any more progress andy?

indeed :cool:
have recovered the rear engine cover with the 20mm expanded foam sheet and re-fitted carpet over top, have got my new -4 to dash -6 oil line and have now fully assembled the gt3071r unit,and have had the 38mm external pipe welded and formed into the exhaust system:D
going to bolt it all up in the morning and have a final look over, before booking it in on for another mot early next week:)

booked in for the full map on 5 april @10 am at emerald in watton if anybody wants to pop down for a look and a chat:)

mattk
04-03-2011, 20:03
booked in for the full map on 5 april @10 am at emerald in watton if anybody wants to pop down for a look and a chat:)

Fantastic :) i reckon it'll be dave's section in ppc ;) what have you done internally to the engine?

HAndy
05-03-2011, 22:09
forged low comp piston, forged con rods,megane 33mm inlets, 30mm forged one piece exhausts, balanced crank, full ported head,mls head gasket, arp bolts etc , the norm really :)

HAndy
18-03-2011, 19:01
car passed its mot today:D
only a few niggles still to sort , one being boost... it was making 4psi on the 95mm crank , but now on the 130mm its making 14.7 ish psi on a third gear pull upto 5000 rpm :eek:
which is a bit concerning , wanted 10 psi max really, so will have to get the other crank pulley set up :cry: got a 120mm crank in the shed ,third time lucky:scared:

HAndy
19-03-2011, 08:18
after some more investigation last night, it seems the boost gauge hooked up to turbo only has not been working, after a half hour fiddle all is good again, and the supercharger is making about 9psi:D , just got to play with the clutch release arm/hydrolic push rod , and lower the back another one and a half inches and it is time to get some miles on her:cool:

TNT ANDY
19-03-2011, 09:23
after some more investigation last night, it seems the boost gauge hooked up to turbo only has not been working, after a half hour fiddle all is good again, and the supercharger is making about 9psi:D , just got to play with the clutch release arm/hydrolic push rod , and lower the back another one and a half inches and it is time to get some miles on her:cool:

Get it on mofo - and nice one on the MOT - How much did you bribe, erm I mean pay for the flakey, I mean high standard MOT.

Glad the boost problem is just a guage and hopefully, we'll see it in PPC and possibly a few others. Can't wait to see this on the road.

Top work to a high un-rushed standard.:cool:

REBEL GT TURBO
19-03-2011, 20:13
That is fecking awesome! cant wait to see the completed pics!!:agree::cool:

mattk
20-03-2011, 18:03
Glad to hear it passed mate, look forward to seeing it all finished :)

HAndy
03-04-2011, 12:51
quick up date,
have had the wheel alignment set up with 2 degrees toe in on the rear and 1 degree toe in on the front , had fronts parallel to start of with but suffered badly from tram lining /weaving , which may be down to the wider tyres on the front :( seems a lot better now ,and starting to build up confidence and speed in the corners , so far it seems to handle really well :D only driven in the dry though:p

also got to re design and build the rear engine cover as it lfts up at 60mph and over:cry:
the exhaust silencer needs changing as it sits around 92 db at 3500rpm, and on a longish drive just kills the ears:laugh:
apart from that all good :cool:
tuesday 5th is the day , when i finally get to see the results of all the effort , fingers crossed:scared:

TNT ANDY
03-04-2011, 16:44
quick up date,
have had the wheel alignment set up with 2 degrees toe in on the rear and 1 degree toe in on the front , had fronts parallel to start of with but suffered badly from tram lining /weaving , which may be down to the wider tyres on the front :( seems a lot better now ,and starting to build up confidence and speed in the corners , so far it seems to handle really well :D only driven in the dry though:p

also got to re design and build the rear engine cover as it lfts up at 60mph and over:cry:
the exhaust silencer needs changing as it sits around 92 db at 3500rpm, and on a longish drive just kills the ears:laugh:
apart from that all good :cool:
tuesday 5th is the day , when i finally get to see the results of all the effort , fingers crossed:scared:

What time you booked in for???

Tony Walker
03-04-2011, 20:33
degrees??? u mean 20minutes? 2 degrees toe in seems a massive amount?? you should be able to see that much toe in, never mind measure it.

TNT ANDY
05-04-2011, 06:46
Good luck today Andy - hope your day goes well.:agree:

mattk
14-04-2011, 16:20
Hey Andy how did you get on last Tuesday?

HAndy
14-04-2011, 17:14
not good , got 200bhp at 10 psi, needed a software update on the ecu as it was a bit up down on the switch over on the second bank of injectors and ft lb was pretty poor also :cry:
the cams need changing(to much overlap) for standard items or catcams turbo jobbies , but as mentioned its alot of money just for a set of cams:eek:

on a more positive note ,found 3 boost leaks on the positive side of the supercharger boost system, supercharger was only producing 3 psi:(

so things should feel a lot better now :)

booked in again 17th may:laugh:

Os8472
14-04-2011, 17:59
not good , got 200bhp at 10 psi, needed a software update on the ecu as it was a bit up down on the switch over on the second bank of injectors and ft lb was pretty poor also :cry:
the cams need changing(to much overlap) for standard items or catcams turbo jobbies , but as mentioned its alot of money just for a set of cams:eek:

on a more positive note ,found 3 boost leaks on the positive side of the supercharger boost system, supercharger was only producing 3 psi:(

so things should feel a lot better now :)

booked in again 17th may:laugh:

Don't worry fella, we'll get it sorted and making silly power in no time

markey b
14-04-2011, 18:06
its all about being an optimist... bhp wise, you're halfway there :agree:

TNT Tricky Nicky
14-04-2011, 19:22
even if your figures are lower than you want it's still a big achievement to have gotten to the point you are now, after all it's all about trial and error as not many people have gone rear engine, rear wheel drive compound charged 5 gtt, you're setting the standards andy and there will be teething problems but you're driving it which is more than some of us "normal" 5 gt turbo owners are doing :laugh:

Os8472
14-04-2011, 19:31
even if your figures are lower than you want it's still a big achievement to have gotten to the point you are now, after all it's all about trial and error as not many people have gone rear engine, rear wheel drive compound charged 5 gtt, you're setting the standards andy and there will be teething problems but you're driving it which is more than some of us "normal" 5 gt turbo owners are doing :laugh:

To be fair I don't think anyone has gone rear engine, rear wheel drive and compound charged in a 5 gtt, let alone with a f7p aswell

TNT ANDY
15-04-2011, 06:33
To be fair I don't think anyone has gone rear engine, rear wheel drive and compound charged in a 5 gtt, let alone with a f7p aswell

There's a good reason for that - but tbh, if I wanted a dream set up, 350bhp-450bhp rwd mid engine 5 don't get any sexier.

btw handy - for the tuning done, I think you're bang on in respect to power, I'd be a little cautious about changing your cams before attempting the full map.

HAndy
15-04-2011, 16:36
will be fitting the new exhaust(bigger silencer) on tomorrow and go for another ride out,and book another power run on the dyno next week, just to see if or how much things have improved, if still lacks then the piper cams are coming out :sad2: and the standard/catcams are going in:(

sound like a plan?

Scoff
15-04-2011, 17:04
Andy, do you have the specification of your cams ? You can PM that to me if you prefer not to post it.

I think that anything too wild will always have been a no-no for what you're doing, and my gut feeling would have been to keep the standard cams, but it might be that you could kill some of the overlap through re-timing them.

Asuming you ment flywheel power, 200hp at 10psi says there's something wrong. Were you able to do a power run without boost ? (or a couple psi max ?) 200hp @ 10psi suggests the engine is only making 118hp N/A, which I think is unlikely, so if your N/A pull shows something quite a bit more than that but your boosted pulls are all lacking then it's probably safe to say the problem is in the cams and their timing, as you suspect :) Conversely, if the engine is only making 120hp NA then something else, more fundamental might be to blame.

HAndy
15-04-2011, 18:23
http://www.pipercams.co.uk/pipercams/www/product_nav.php?type=C&cat=CM&man=19&engine=112

rw16vpb270h is the cams fitted,

just as a side note-
leak down test was 4% on all 4 cylinders
compression was average between 115 -110 psi across all 4 pistons

hope that helps :ashamed:

HAndy
15-04-2011, 18:34
just to add there where three boost leaks between the supercharger outlet and the inlet manifold, which of course would'nt have helped, and was getting 120 bhp without turbo :cry:
didnt get printout as was to gutted at the time:(
any idea's of the turbo cam profile that catcams sell:scratch:

started a thread regarding cams in the f7p tech section ,but only Bigfoot replied :(

Scoff
16-04-2011, 11:36
I didn't see that thread Andy, sorry :)

120hp without the turbo: is that with 3psi from the blower ? Asuming wastegate was wide open at that point, thats a bit confusing because overlap can't be blamed for that.

Did you dial the cams in with a DTI ?

HAndy
17-04-2011, 11:13
I didn't see that thread Andy, sorry :)

120hp without the turbo: is that with 3psi from the blower ? Asuming wastegate was wide open at that point, thats a bit confusing because overlap can't be blamed for that.

Did you dial the cams in with a DTI ?

sorry for the late reply , yes thats without the blower taken into account,

had no dti gauges for the cam timing, used the standard timing marks on the cam cover and zeroed the cam pulleys in on the verniers, they do need dialing properly, and that was on the" to do" list:ashamed: been diverted so much sorting out all the other little faults, which has and still is taking up lots of time:crap: and i just have'nt got round to it, i will be getting hold of a pair of dti gauges and stands suitable for dohc engine for friday with a bit of luck:) and see what the inlets/exhausts are set at, or rather than piss about pulling cams in and out, is it worth keeping the inlet cam and swapping the exhaust cam for a standard or giving piper a ring , tell them the engine spec, and get them to machine up a new exhaust cam, which would probably have less overlap/ lift :scratch:

Scoff
17-04-2011, 12:44
Those cams should work just fine, they're not too lairy, I was worried you might have put something wild in there!

1.27mm lift @ tdc and even less in the exhaust should not be causing a problem. Bare in mind though, if the timing is a mile out then you might be suffering for that reason.

Did Dave save your torque curve I wonder ? Seeing the shape of it might shed some light on things.

I wouldn't worry about swapping the exhaust cam just yet.

Stick with those cams, check their timing and lift against the data sheet (incase they've sent you something different!) and if it all looks fine then I'd be looking elsewhere for the problem.

HAndy
17-04-2011, 21:37
what if they are the williams version with the 1.93mm lift atdc and 1.47mm exh lift , will they still be good to go?

by the way thankyou for the imput and help scoff, really appreciate it ;):cool:

Scoff
17-04-2011, 22:04
what if they are the williams version with the 1.93mm lift atdc and 1.47mm exh lift , will they still be good to go?

by the way thankyou for the imput and help scoff, really appreciate it ;):cool:

Then I'd say that might be bordering on too much overlap for what you're doing, but still it wouldn't explain why you had only 120hp NA.

Not sure if you confirmed, but I'm asuming we're not talking about whp ?? 120whp might not be so bad :)

HAndy
18-04-2011, 06:50
cant remember, will find out today:laugh:

as regards to cams i will measure the lift and go from there , thanks for the input again;)

mattk
18-04-2011, 07:52
You've probably already thought of this but, because you've lowered the compression and taken a reading without the blower, could that be the reason for low bhp? :)

markey b
18-04-2011, 16:40
are you sure its not down on power due to oli helping :laugh:

Os8472
18-04-2011, 17:11
are you sure its not down on power due to oli helping :laugh:

Oi ya cheeky fecker, at least I've never killed a piston or liner or both

markey b
18-04-2011, 17:32
Oi ya cheeky fecker, at least I've never killed a piston or liner or both

i'd be shocked if you cracked a liner at 7psi :cooter:

Os8472
18-04-2011, 17:48
i'd be shocked if you cracked a liner at 7psi :cooter:

Lol it has had 35psi through it ya know

HAndy
18-04-2011, 18:16
now now children, stop spamming my project thread:laugh:

ps have'nt let olie loose on my engine........ ... yet:laugh::D

markey b
18-04-2011, 19:05
tis just banter andy, i cast out and oli bites :cooter:

oli says u need a spot for FCS :agree:

HAndy
18-04-2011, 20:26
oli says u need a spot for FCS :agree:[/QUOTE]

yes please:p just dont expect gleaming perfect body work:laugh:

markey b
19-04-2011, 00:55
yes please:p just dont expect gleaming perfect body work:laugh:

i'm sure we can let you off this once :laugh:

HAndy
22-04-2011, 22:35
dialled in the cams today :)
111 inlet /113 exhaust , seems to pull fine at half throttle, and you can feel the turbo pull in at 3000rpm (cams are deffo williams)
they where set at 118 inlet and 115 exhaust, before i altered them:ashamed:
although if full throttle applied it quickly over boosts to 16 psi ,no matter how much i lower the blitz, and play with the gain, and didnt seem to pull any harder or quicker:scratch:

could it still be down to the cams,cars making boost but not going like it should :(

static pressure tested boost system ,and holding 10psi with no leaks, any more and the bungs pop off!!

might try the standard exhaust cam tomorrow, and see what it does, ideas anyone:confused:

HAndy
24-04-2011, 23:39
fitted the standard cams in yesterday , and feels sooooo much better than the the uprated cams, pulls well:)

just out of interest does anybody have spec for lift atdc on the standard inlet/exhaust as the piper cams where 110 and using the timing marks on the cover as a reference showed 130 on the standard cams , looked in the haynes with no joy:scratch: retarded the exhaust by 3 degrees ,thinking it might improve bottom end torque:ashamed:

Os8472
25-04-2011, 18:05
Hate to say I told ya so but ...........

mattk
13-05-2011, 13:58
Hey Andy how's the beast running? Good I hope :)

HAndy
17-05-2011, 16:47
Hey Andy how's the beast running? Good I hope :)

well the wait is over, had it mapped again today , made 275whp and 240 ftlb@21 psi making boost from 2000rpm and all way 7000rpm, more in the pot but i will leave it there for the moment and hopefully enjoy it for a while before the gearbox blows up :laugh::laugh:
supercharger making 10 psi turbo making 9/10 psi

gearbox is long ratio, and 1,2 gear is slowish but once into third it just goes and goes:) showing 130 mph in 4th at around 6300rpm on the rollers, which is ok , might try the megane box or possibly a gtt box once this one fails ,maybe a hybrid of all three:p
will be picking up jack04 123's 15 split rims next sat so this may also help ,bottom end and give me a bit more space in the arches:cool:

all good ,and with a bit of luck will see you all at national day or ppc ,feel free to say hello, open to any suggestions:)

if i get chance will post up the rr printout:) with a bit of help from the east end massive,as i'm crap with computers:laugh:

Adey aka Ewok
17-05-2011, 17:09
thats good going there, what was the guesstimate on fly hp? so whats next, more boost?

HAndy
17-05-2011, 17:34
enjoy if first, break it later :laugh:

yes more boost, cams , possible 2.0 crank /spacer plate /strongerbox:D

markey b
17-05-2011, 17:39
impressive, still amazed at the sheer attention to detail thats gone into it :agree:

only 16.4 lb/ft to go and you've caught up my little 1.4 8v too ;)

Os8472
17-05-2011, 19:51
impressive, still amazed at the sheer attention to detail thats gone into it :agree:

only 16.4 lb/ft to go and you've caught up my little 1.4 8v too ;)

Read post again Mark, there wheel figures where as your were flywheel figures oh and Andy is running a lot less boost than you

Oh and his doesn't crack a liner cus the water injection has run out

TNT ANDY
18-05-2011, 07:02
Read post again Mark, there wheel figures where as your were flywheel figures oh and Andy is running a lot less boost than you

Oh and his doesn't crack a liner cus the water injection has run out

Cast

Nibble nibble.
0h f**k it .........................................nom nom nom nom nom nom nom.

Burp

mattk
21-05-2011, 22:42
well the wait is over, had it mapped again today , made 275whp and 240 ftlb@21 psi making boost from 2000rpm and all way 7000rpm, more in the pot but i will leave it there for the moment and hopefully enjoy it for a while before the gearbox blows up :laugh::laugh:
supercharger making 10 psi turbo making 9/10 psi

gearbox is long ratio, and 1,2 gear is slowish but once into third it just goes and goes:) showing 130 mph in 4th at around 6300rpm on the rollers, which is ok , might try the megane box or possibly a gtt box once this one fails ,maybe a hybrid of all three:p
will be picking up jack04 123's 15 split rims next sat so this may also help ,bottom end and give me a bit more space in the arches:cool:

all good ,and with a bit of luck will see you all at national day or ppc ,feel free to say hello, open to any suggestions:)

if i get chance will post up the rr printout:) with a bit of help from the east end massive,as i'm crap with computers:laugh:

I like it mate, good power from 2-7k if you get a chance to put any videos up that'll be sweet, gutted i aint gonna get a chance to see this at nd :cry:

TNT ANDY
04-10-2011, 13:00
And on the 7th day ?

stu21t
04-10-2011, 14:23
Funny enough i searched for this thread earlier and just came to post on it lol

Has anything happened to this?

HAndy
04-10-2011, 17:20
Funny enough i searched for this thread earlier and just came to post on it lol

Has anything happened to this?

oh yes (churchill voice)

since the oil pump shaft breakage and bent valves (all 16)

been busy putting the engine back together, turbo charged only now, as i needed a clutched supercharger, and bypass valves, and space was becoming a problem. working on it was a nightmare(pipework everywhere). so turbo only now, had it running for a little while and it was good.but on the rollers didnt like the charge temps @21 psi/70c degrees:eek:,that and the throttle response at low rpm was shocking with the clio 16v throttle body, so ive fitted a bigger pwr barrel and a bigger single plate throttle body.made 296.8 bhp/288ftlb before (with cracked spark plugs,which i didnt know at the time and normal unleaded/70 degree inlet temps, so this time round should be a little better, if it doesnt....... well then its fourth time luck or is it fifth, lost count:laugh::laugh::laugh: had it in pieces that many times:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

getting the inlet temps down is the main goal:laugh:
and run it on super unleaded this time:)

TNT ANDY
04-10-2011, 17:45
oh yes (churchill voice)

since the oil pump shaft breakage and bent valves (all 16)

been busy putting the engine back together, turbo charged only now, as i needed a clutched supercharger, and bypass valves, and space was becoming a problem. working on it was a nightmare(pipework everywhere). so turbo only now, had it running for a little while and it was good.but on the rollers didnt like the charge temps @21 psi/70c degrees:eek:,that and the throttle response at low rpm was shocking with the clio 16v throttle body, so ive fitted a bigger pwr barrel and a bigger single plate throttle body.made 296.8 bhp/288ftlb before (with cracked spark plugs,which i didnt know at the time and normal unleaded/70 degree inlet temps, so this time round should be a little better, if it doesnt....... well then its fourth time luck or is it fifth, lost count:laugh::laugh::laugh: had it in pieces that many times:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

getting the inlet temps down is the main goal:laugh:
and run it on super unleaded this time:)

Nice one Andy - when you in @ Emerald?

HAndy
04-10-2011, 19:29
Nice one Andy - when you in @ Emerald?

with a bit of luck and a a nice chat with johno, a week friday:cool:

mattk
08-10-2011, 17:01
So sorry to hear the engine fialed mate :( but glad its on the mend ;)

mattk
20-10-2011, 10:21
Hey Andy, how goes the build? Did you manage to make it to emerald?

Just read a mates copy of PPC and noticed next issues front cover car ;)

c7borg
20-10-2011, 10:38
Hey Andy, how goes the build? Did you manage to make it to emerald?

Just read a mates copy of PPC and noticed next issues front cover car ;)

Yeah I hope all is well..:agree: can't wait to see this one in the flesh! every time I view this thread it reminds me of my old one :cry:

HAndy
20-10-2011, 12:41
the cars getting there... slowly:laugh:

cannot get it in for this friday, booked up:( so im missing the rr day meet,which i am gutted about :( and i'm still waiting for the tracking gauges and corner weight gauge/scales to turn up, but on a more postive note the beast is up and running again, have set the ride height and sorted out the rear strut angles a bit more along with camber on the wheels, i have set all four wheels at 2degrees negative, anyone's views opinions on this would be great, as i am a bit unsure of what would be an ideal set up really, might have gone a bit overboard on the springs also, 450lb on the rear and 320lb on the front:ashamed: seemed very wobbly and nosed dived a bit under heavyish breaking @ mallory park(ppc in the park) earlier on in the year, the set up was 330lb on the rear and 200lb on the front, hence why ive gone a bit more extreme:scratch: estimate car weight roughly around the 980kg, which i would be happy with and anything less would be a bonus :D also intend to re adjust the rear wheels to maybe 0.5 or 1 degree toe in, and keep the front wheels parallel,again any ideas/thoughts would be great, scoff did mention earlier in this project thread about settings (Tried 1.5 degrees toe in on the rear and felt abit to much in honesty)looked for turbo1+2 set specifications on the net ,without much look :crap:
also the bodykit is starting to move/crack :dearme:
nevermind, will put them down to speed /stress cracks :laugh::laugh::laugh:
oil temps where still an issue when it was last on the rollers, and have been thinking about fitting a laminova from mocal (plumbed into the engine coolant feed ) as the alloy side/wing ducts dont seem to be making that much of a difference to the temps,sitting around the120 degree mark:scared: again if anyone has any experiences with this product ,please tell:D
also a bit concerned about the drive shafts breaking (aswell as gearbox), after reading a recent thread by turbo ted i think, did not look good:eek:( time will tell i suppose)

Andy (c7borg) have you heard or spoke to fishhead, about your old beast!
would be nice to know whats happening wirth it ;)

Scoff
20-10-2011, 13:23
Hi Andy

I ran somethign like 180lb springs on the front and nearly 0deg camber. I had something like 300lb on the rear, which was too soft really but I didn't mind it so much. My gut says those 320lb will be too stiff for the front. Maybe returning to 200lb and keeping the stiffer rears might be the way to go.

Camber and toe-in was a tricky one. I used to hate the feeling of bump steer and I found that a little toe-in on the rear help remove that and actually it felt quite stable in all conditions. Parrallel was not a good feeling ! I forget what I tracked the front up at, I don't remember it ever making much difference.

None of that was ever that scientific for me, I just adjusted things until it felt right :cartman:

HAndy
20-10-2011, 16:48
Hi Andy

I ran somethign like 180lb springs on the front and nearly 0deg camber. I had something like 300lb on the rear, which was too soft really but I didn't mind it so much. My gut says those 320lb will be too stiff for the front. Maybe returning to 200lb and keeping the stiffer rears might be the way to go.

Camber and toe-in was a tricky one. I used to hate the feeling of bump steer and I found that a little toe-in on the rear help remove that and actually it felt quite stable in all conditions. Parrallel was not a good feeling ! I forget what I tracked the front up at, I don't remember it ever making much difference.

None of that was ever that scientific for me, I just adjusted things until it felt right :cartman:

ive got a set of 250lb springs in the shed , might try them on :laugh:
did you run any camber on the back wheels scoff,

cheers for the input :cool:

c7borg
20-10-2011, 16:54
The last time I spoke with Tony (fishead) was the end of June and he hadn't got round to doing anything with it as yet, I think he has been busy with other things this year.. although it'll be strange when I see it on the road especially if I've bought another R5.

As for the suspension, I would probably echo Chris's thoughts although my old 5 was a little lighter without the turbo & supercharger so my rates were a little softer. From memory I think I was running 275 at the rear and 180's at the front. What shocks are you using I assume they're adjustable, are they turned right up (hard)? As for camber I always ran 0deg on the front as I had plenty of turn in and about 1.5deg on the rear. The toe was slightly in for stability and was never measured, I used a straight piece of metal and made sure when placed across the face of the wheel it touched the same bit of bodykit or was x amount of mm from the bodykit each side if that makes sense. I don't think it will do any harm going too hard if you have comfy seats :D especially if you're going on the track, the balance is the important thing it really is a case of feeling the best handling as you're entering new boundary's ;)

I did read a good way of checking if your car is working well in cornering and that is to find an open space of tarmac and chaulk a circle with a 50m radius (use a piece of string) then time yourself around the circle then make an adjustment and time again if you make quite radical changes you should see which way you need to go with your adjustments then start to fine tune. Make sure the person doing the timing is standing far enough back or in your car :agree:

HAndy
20-10-2011, 17:17
The last time I spoke with Tony (fishead) was the end of June and he hadn't got round to doing anything with it as yet, I think he has been busy with other things this year.. although it'll be strange when I see it on the road especially if I've bought another R5.

As for the suspension, I would probably echo Chris's thoughts although my old 5 was a little lighter without the turbo & supercharger so my rates were a little softer. From memory I think I was running 275 at the rear and 180's at the front. What shocks are you using I assume they're adjustable, are they turned right up (hard)? As for camber I always ran 0deg on the front as I had plenty of turn in and about 1.5deg on the rear. The toe was slightly in for stability and was never measured, I used a straight piece of metal and made sure when placed across the face of the wheel it touched the same bit of bodykit or was x amount of mm from the bodykit each side if that makes sense. I don't think it will do any harm going too hard if you have comfy seats :D especially if you're going on the track, the balance is the important thing it really is a case of feeling the best handling as you're entering new boundary's ;)

I did read a good way of checking if your car is working well in cornering and that is to find an open space of tarmac and chaulk a circle with a 50m radius (use a piece of string) then time yourself around the circle then make an adjustment and time again if you make quite radical changes you should see which way you need to go with your adjustments then start to fine tune. Make sure the person doing the timing is standing far enough back or in your car :agree:

thankyou for the input Andy,glad to know you've got another 5;)

Scoff
20-10-2011, 17:38
I think I ran standard "front" camber at the rear andy, whatever that is. Definately 0° at the front though, else the turn in ability greatly out weighs the rears ability to stick ! Once I was happy with the settings I felt a lot more confident chucking the car about. In the damp it would start to understeer just about the same time as the back end would start to get free, but it was quite controllable. With standard front angles it was lethal in the wet. I spun it I don't know how many times, thankfully I had the sense not to push the car if there was any other traffic about. I stoved the front end in to armco once through, had to graft a whole new section in just in front of the turrets :crap:

Os8472
20-10-2011, 18:30
I think I ran standard "front" camber at the rear andy, whatever that is. Definately 0° at the front though, else the turn in ability greatly out weighs the rears ability to stick ! Once I was happy with the settings I felt a lot more confident chucking the car about. In the damp it would start to understeer just about the same time as the back end would start to get free, but it was quite controllable. With standard front angles it was lethal in the wet. I spun it I don't know how many times, thankfully I had the sense not to push the car if there was any other traffic about. I stoved the front end in to armco once through, had to graft a whole new section in just in front of the turrets :crap:

I remember reading about that bump in PFC back when it was PGTi

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
20-10-2011, 19:00
Turbo 1/2 (model code 8220 and 8221) alignment figures for road.

Front Camber=0 deg +/- 30.
Rear camber=2 deg +/- 30.
Front KPI =14deg 20sec.
Front castor 10deg roughly for all permissable H values.
Front Toe= -10 +/-1. or (1mm +/- 1mm).
Rear toe= -0 deg25sec +/-10sec (-2.5mm +/-1mm).

Hope this helps.

c7borg
20-10-2011, 22:11
thankyou for the input Andy,glad to know you've got another 5;)
Ohh not yet.. but I am looking.. just need to sell my campervan first though :)

Scoff
20-10-2011, 23:59
I remember reading about that bump in PFC back when it was PGTi

Yeah, I had to weld a whole new front end on so I could get to the brunters gig ! Shame they don't do those anymore.

Those numbers make interesting reading matt, good info :)

T.K
21-10-2011, 07:46
I think I remember that day at Brunters Scoff. Good times.

HAndy
22-10-2011, 10:19
Turbo 1/2 (model code 8220 and 8221) alignment figures for road.

Front Camber=0 deg +/- 30.
Rear camber=2 deg +/- 30.
Front KPI =14deg 20sec.
Front castor 10deg roughly for all permissable H values.
Front Toe= -10 +/-1. or (1mm +/- 1mm).
Rear toe= -0 deg25sec +/-10sec (-2.5mm +/-1mm).

Hope this helps.

thanks matt :) really good info there :cool:

TNT ANDY
23-10-2011, 19:00
Congrats to Handy - made front cover and 6 page spread in PPC this month.
:cool:

Mr Raider
23-10-2011, 19:42
Well done Handy,- saw preview in this months PPC! :cool: :agree::agree:

mattk
27-10-2011, 09:23
I'll be purchasing a copy this weekend :)

5teve L
27-10-2011, 09:53
I'll be purchasing a copy this weekend :)
I'll be picking mine up as well :agree:

mattk
30-10-2011, 12:10
I'll be picking mine up as well :agree:

Gutted couldn't find a copy anywhere :cry:

oh well have to wait till next weekend :devil:

Jeff Ninebar
31-10-2011, 22:10
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

I've not noticed the project section of the board before today so not seen this thread on this R5 before today either, I got a copy of PPC mag yesterday just for this car. To stumble across this project thread today is a real treat.

Love the car, well done.

mattk
06-11-2011, 17:26
Just read the six page spread on your car :), looking forward to seeing this badboy back on the road :devil::devil::devil::devil:

TNT ANDY
06-11-2011, 19:01
Just read the six page spread on your car :), looking forward to seeing this badboy back on the road :devil::devil::devil::devil:

Final mapping on Thursday for this wee beasty! - Sorry Andy, can't make it. I need the holiday to get mine mapped over with Scoff later this month. I'll look forward to the report on this. I'll get over in the evening on Thursday unless you want to stretch it's legs.;)

Os8472
06-11-2011, 19:21
Final mapping on Thursday for this wee beasty! - Sorry Andy, can't make it. I need the holiday to get mine mapped over with Scoff later this month. I'll look forward to the report on this. I'll get over in the evening on Thursday unless you want to stretch it's legs.;)

It's wet out Andy, you know full well he won't take it out in the wet.

Will be interesting to see the results though :)

mattk
06-11-2011, 23:15

Fantastic look forward to seeing the results mate ;)

markey b
07-11-2011, 13:57
where can you buy PPC then? havn't seen it on my travels

Os8472
07-11-2011, 14:02
where can you buy PPC then? havn't seen it on my travels

Tesco's or the Esso garage in thefthood

TNT ANDY
10-11-2011, 06:41
Final mapping today?

HAndy
10-11-2011, 07:17
indeedy :)

more boost and a play around with the cams and see what differences the throttle body and bigger chargecooler have made, really would like to see 400bhp this time, air temps should'nt be a problem :cool:

wish me luck:D

mattk
10-11-2011, 14:36
Hope it goes well today buddy :cool: good luck :)

markey b
10-11-2011, 16:43
any numbers? i text both andys but no reply, i'm either being ignored or they are busy with each other.... or at burger king of course

TNT ANDY
10-11-2011, 17:55
Hi Marky

Yes, got your text but was driving at the time and this has reminded me to text you back lol.

He's still missing some ponnies @ 300bhp

mattk
11-11-2011, 15:04
300hp is still good tbh in a little 5 :)

Do you reckon there is more to come andy or are you happy? :cool:

HAndy
11-11-2011, 19:15
my goal is still 400hp , but im just not getting there at the mo:(
air intake temps are still 58-64 degrees @21 psi , and the engine is still not going more than 303 bhp/289ftlb:cry:

boost goes up like a rocket from 3000 rpm t0 4400 rpm then the curve leans out but doesn't drop of till 6000 rpm, ive got issues:scratch:

5teve L
11-11-2011, 19:39
my goal is still 400hp , but im just not getting there at the mo:(
air intake temps are still 58-64 degrees @21 psi , and the engine is still not going more than 303 bhp/289ftlb:cry:

boost goes up like a rocket from 3000 rpm t0 4400 rpm then the curve leans out but doesn't drop of till 6000 rpm, ive got issues:scratch:

Cam timing or boost leak ? I'm sure you checked & double checked, IIRC you run a 3071 now on it's own don't you, or does it still run the charger as well ?
21 psi should make more than 303bhp I'm sure :scratch:
You haven't got lower CR than 8:1 have you ? (sorry, lots of pages to skim back through :ashamed:) it would be doing my nut in as well :sad2:
Can you throw up the graphs at all ?
Did Dave have any ideas ?

TNT ANDY
11-11-2011, 20:15
[QUOTE=HAndy;241527]my goal is still 400hp , but im just not getting there at the mo:(

Like a crack addict you are - gotto have the 400 rararaaarraa lol. Sounded gr8 on the rollers,

Did it feel ok driving back home since Dave did some mapping for you?

TBH - I felt that Dave did not have anything to offer, his knowledge on your car was very limited based on the amount it has been up there. If I had been there and back again I would have given up and talked to somebody who knows that engine, knows that car....

Some people say that to him, time doesn't exist. And that thinking that you are travelling through time as a stationary object is as fundementally flawed as fitting turnips to your 5.

Some people say that he sh*ts castrol 'R' and wipes with 20 grit, then complains it just doesn't cut the mustard like 10 does.

All I know is he's called the s****:smokin:

HAndy
12-11-2011, 00:15
in fairness to dave he doesn't get to involved in the technical side of turbo engines,and has'nt had much to to do with turbo'd renaults, he just maps them;) but after you left, me dave, carl , rich,and mal, discussed the results for a good hour :) and the exhaust manifold was picked up on (a lot) that and the cams, hence why i spent all day down there today and gained another 79ftlb and a few more bhp 1000 rpm quicker :p
and got another half day monday to to play with the car again to improve upon things a bit more for a very good price;)

over all its moving on, oil temps where really good and the air temps where good (to a point) and the recovery rate was also good,so i did get some positives from the rr day:cool:

if i lived a closer to the mad scientist,and could wait ,things would have been different, as you well know: but you know what i'm like, im always changing trying to improve something,which tends to be a (fail) most of the time:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Scoff
12-11-2011, 01:19
Andy,

Don't be too disheartened, realistically the most you were likely to see at 1.5 bar might have been 350hp (flywheel) or maybe a tad more. It will certainly take more boost than that to hit 400hp, but I guess you know that already. Was your 303 at the wheels ? If not, what loss is he assuming ?

How are you measuing charge ? Fine wire K-type or something else ? Only the former is really any good.

Is Dave getting to MBT ? In other words, is he confident that the timing map is optimal ? He's listening for knock, yes ? I hate to ask questions like these of such an experienced calibrator, but as you say he isn't known for his forced induction tuning. If you like you can forward me your calibration file and between me and you I will give you my honest opinion.

Yes, it's interesting just how much you can alter mid range with relitively small shifts in cam timing, as it seems you proved today :)

Still one of the most interesting projects for me, keep up the good work :)

HAndy
12-11-2011, 10:47
Andy,

Don't be too disheartened, realistically the most you were likely to see at 1.5 bar might have been 350hp (flywheel) or maybe a tad more. It will certainly take more boost than that to hit 400hp, but I guess you know that already. Was your 303 at the wheels ? If not, what loss is he assuming ?

How are you measuing charge ? Fine wire K-type or something else ? Only the former is really any good.

Is Dave getting to MBT ? In other words, is he confident that the timing map is optimal ? He's listening for knock, yes ? I hate to ask questions like these of such an experienced calibrator, but as you say he isn't known for his forced induction tuning. If you like you can forward me your calibration file and between me and you I will give you my honest opinion.

Yes, it's interesting just how much you can alter mid range with relitively small shifts in cam timing, as it seems you proved today :)

Still one of the most interesting projects for me, keep up the good work :)

using the air temp sensor on the k6 as a reference:(

with regards to maps etc , i think the best thing i can do is bring the car to you scoff,
and go from there, if thats ok with you:) pm me some dates for early spring next year;)
as i've now got to get a new tubby manifold fabricated and modify the exhaust system again and refit the external wastegate also, feels like the magic roundabout:rolleyes:

just out of interest at what kind of bhp/ftlb /flow did the 172 inlet manifold become a restriction or was it to gain hp over ftlb on your beast, and what air temps did/do you get at 2/2.5 bar of boost?

thanks for the input chief:smokin:

TNT ANDY
12-11-2011, 12:19
http://www.randbmotorsport.co.uk/shop/Details.asp?ProductID=450

as asked for mr H

Andrew Cooke
12-11-2011, 12:25
http://www.randbmotorsport.co.uk/shop/Details.asp?ProductID=450

as asked for mr H

they don't show the sensor and that's the important part, if it's big it'll be slow to react, if it bolts to the pipe in a metal housing it'll measure the temperature of the pipe and the under bonnet temperature as much as it measures the charge temp.

TNT ANDY
12-11-2011, 12:33
they don't show the sensor and that's the important part, if it's big it'll be slow to react, if it bolts to the pipe in a metal housing it'll measure the temperature of the pipe and the under bonnet temperature as much as it measures the charge temp.

it's really small and quick - Just like TNT ross.

Andrew Cooke
12-11-2011, 13:20
it's really small and quick - Just like TNT ross.

save your money, just fit him :confused:

Scoff
12-11-2011, 15:06
Andy, is the iat even calibrated properly up at 60°C ? Don't panic about charge temperatures just yet until you get out and do some road testing with a thermocouple.

Regards my set up, the standard inlet always seemed a bit chokey. Looking at the torque curve at high boost showed that you could go from about 2 to 2.3 bar and not really make any more power, only mid range. With the new manifold that didn't happen as much until a bit further up in boost again, but at that point the turbo was well and truely screaming.

I don't measure charge temperature, I just run the biggest cooler I can.

EGT is something you havn't mentioned yet. It's a good indicator of how close your tune is. Do you monitor it ?

Regards spring time, just give me a shout a week before hand if you're popping up, I'm not that organised !

HAndy
12-11-2011, 15:22
Andy, is the iat even calibrated properly up at 60°C ? Don't panic about charge temperatures just yet until you get out and do some road testing with a thermocouple.

Regards my set up, the standard inlet always seemed a bit chokey. Looking at the torque curve at high boost showed that you could go from about 2 to 2.3 bar and not really make any more power, only mid range. With the new manifold that didn't happen as much until a bit further up in boost again, but at that point the turbo was well and truely screaming.

I don't measure charge temperature, I just run the biggest cooler I can.

EGT is something you havn't mentioned yet. It's a good indicator of how close your tune is. Do you monitor it ?

Regards spring time, just give me a shout a week before hand if you're popping up, I'm not that organised !

no i haven't monitored egt's or have the equipment to either:(

as regards to iat /thermacoupling ,i'm on it already, the temps quoted are rr temps , and surley there must be quite a difference in real world driving conditions anyway,
and possibly the temps caused by a bottle necking in the exhaust side would be reduced somewhat by a free flowing replacement system:scratch:

Scoff
12-11-2011, 15:23
Oh your using one of those ACT gauges, I misread sorry. It would still be nice to see the probe as Andy says. But, bigger tip just means slower, so if you're seeing 60°C+ and they're not just spikes (inteference, etc) then there might well be an issue.

TNT ANDY
12-11-2011, 17:17
Oh your using one of those ACT gauges, I misread sorry. It would still be nice to see the probe as Andy says. But, bigger tip just means slower, so if you're seeing 60°C+ and they're not just spikes (inteference, etc) then there might well be an issue.

http://www.rtoc.org/files/Miscellaneous/Stotto/DSC02250.JPG

Thats the one, hold this in your hand and it reacts immediately, but takes a second to get upto temp. I don't think it's as quick as an Ian S jobby, but when on the road when I turn my charge cooler on it reacts and stabilises very quickly indeed. I have had an ebay special before now, and this it aint.

Andrew Cooke
12-11-2011, 17:22
blimey, it was a good day at the bake-o-foil factory when you rolled into town...

that looks like a 3mm probe? I use one that size in my collector.

TNT ANDY
12-11-2011, 17:24
blimey, it was a good day at the bake-o-foil factory when you rolled into town...

Again.... if I had a pound!!!!!!:D

TNT ANDY
12-11-2011, 17:25

It really is a good sensor, very robust and and not too fussy as I've seen before.

HAndy
04-12-2011, 10:15
been a little while since last update, since the rollinig road session and question asking on the lower than expected power output:( ive started gathering materials and sourced a local fabricator to produce a equal length tubular exhaust manifold, which starts next week:) also remaking the rear wishbones and fabricating /fitting a pair of tie rods to the the beast, both items are going to be rose jointed, as im getting far to much flex coming through the rear subframe, and causing all sorts of horrific steering issues:(

have also started on a front splitter, which ive mocked up and fitted to my other spare front bumper,part of the front bumper is being used as a plug for a fibreglass mould(building a cover piece between the splitter and bottom edge of bumper, 50mmx4mm hanger brackets and fixing plate already fabricated and just need welding to subframe cross member( where radiator would be positioned) :cool:
along the lines of this http://www.carstylingtips.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/bhp-performance-10-116.jpg

also in the proccess of making plugs for a pair of conards/winglets for the front bumper, as more downforce if needed ,maybe like this( but not quite as big) http://www.autostuningwallpaper.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Peugeot-205-turbo.jpg

might also widen the rear tyres width (to run parallel with front inside tyre wall) depending on cost:D

so all in all got a few busy months ahead of me :laugh::laugh:

HAndy
22-01-2012, 19:21
update, fitted new bigger core size pre rad with 25mm outlets(celica gt4 unit)which is being fed by 2x bosch water pumps (side by side)rather than in line, and installed 25mm pipe work through out the charge cooler system,which now holds 15 litres of water (5 litre header tank):eek: also while fitting the pre rad i looked at the airflow ability of the phase 1 grill,and compared it to the aftermarket prima montecarlo grill ive had kicking around the shed for ages, anyway the phase 1 grill is at a guess 30% total area restrictive compared to the aftermarket grill :scratch: even though it looks a bit nova'ish ive fitted it anyway as it should make a difference with charge temps, also built and finished the front splitter mould and produced my first spliiter:) came out well, did have 6" lip all round but trimmed down to 4";) the rose jointed/modified rear wishbones are almost done and tie rods ready to fit:) also in the process of having another set of rose jointed wishbones for the front end made, which will allow me full adjustablity in track width/castor, with just the struts to play about with and camber to set up again,having camber/tracking/corner weight gauges at hand is great:cool: leaving just the cams to change at some point and a uprated actuator to fit along with some logg manifold fettling,and tapping for pressure gauge and egt gauge, i will post up the readings of the pressure values/measurement in the inlet and exhaust manifold at different boost levels, as well as egt temps at different boost levels with the standard cams and then with the piper 270 uprated cams, and then depending on results , look at having a tubular manifold fabricated:coffee:

stu21t
23-01-2012, 13:59
Ive just done the same with my chargecooler system.
Ive got a new ah fabrications cooler, gone up to 25mm pipework and fitted a davies craig waterpump.
Lets hope we both have good results with them.

HAndy
23-01-2012, 16:50
Ive just done the same with my chargecooler system.
Ive got a new ah fabrications cooler, gone up to 25mm pipework and fitted a davies craig waterpump.
Lets hope we both have good results with them.

be another month before i'm up an running again hopefully:laugh:
let me know how you get on stu:cool:

HAndy
27-02-2012, 16:43
time for a update as ive been quiet on the project thread for the last 2 months,been busy rebuilding my gt3071r, now sporting a 60mm turbine and 11 blade compressor wheel so basicly a gtx 3071r now:D changed to a gt style/3"v band exhaust housing in a .63 ratio for easy exhaust fitment, and better flow, also moved back to an external wastegate set up, for reliabilty at higher boost levels, and have finaly got the new laser cut exhaust flange ready along with bends for the tubular exhaust manifold,fabrication should commence end of next week with a bit of luck:cooter:
have also gone for a much higher lift inlet cam and a very slightly wilder exhaust profile cam over the standard exhaust profile, have also contacted the legend that is scoff, who is kindly supplying me with an adapter plate and flywheel for a 02m gearbox conversion , and have also aquired the 02m box,driveshafts,starter,cables and gearstick/selector, so hopefully by end of march should have a 6 speed box up and working:cool: leaving just the rear quater scoops to form/build and fit and the front splitter to fit after final tracking /driveability is sorted out, then well we shall see what the score is come crunch time:D

markey b
28-02-2012, 11:31
sounds flash andy! i'll make sure i've got a 'rear facing' camera on my new toy for when yours is out, so you can watch yourself :laugh:

Os8472
28-02-2012, 11:33
sounds flash andy! i'll make sure i've got a 'rear facing' camera on my new toy for when yours is out, so you can watch yourself :laugh:

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Mr Raider
28-02-2012, 12:22
Sounds like you've been busy mate! surely soon be time for another east coast massive get together :D

Os8472
28-02-2012, 12:32
Sounds like you've been busy mate! surely soon be time for another east coast massive get together :D

Was just thinking the same thing......... Pub?

Mr Raider
02-03-2012, 12:22
Yep, sounds like a good place! thinking around end of month be good as im moving house soon, if not sort something for Easter weekend in April cheeky first BBQ or something maybe??? ;)

Os8472
02-03-2012, 13:20
Yep, sounds like a good place! thinking around end of month be good as im moving house soon, if not sort something for Easter weekend in April cheeky first BBQ or something maybe??? ;)

Party a your place then :)

markey b
03-03-2012, 19:34
can i bring the ped? its much more fun than the car :laugh:

Phil r turbo
17-03-2012, 15:51
Saw the mag feature on this, amazing build! Cannot give you enough praise mate :agree:

HAndy
18-03-2012, 10:07
Saw the mag feature on this, amazing build! Cannot give you enough praise mate :agree:

thanks Phil :)

i will get some piccys up next week of the new tubular exhaust manifold, the car has changed slightly since the shoot with ppc @mallory park, mainly 15" satin black split rims and colour coded rear scoops instead of the flat insert grills/ help to force more air, and changed the grill for more airflow to the pre rad:ashamed:

Phil r turbo
18-03-2012, 10:41
Sounds good mate:agree:
Have you sprayed the image splits black or got a new set? Really liked them. Ah were you having cooling problems?
Looking forward to the pics

mattk
18-03-2012, 18:54
thanks Phil :)

i will get some piccys up next week of the new tubular exhaust manifold, the car has changed slightly since the shoot with ppc @mallory park, mainly 15" satin black split rims and colour coded rear scoops instead of the flat insert grills/ help to force more air, and changed the grill for more airflow to the pre rad:ashamed:

Cool look forward to seeing the new pictures :cool:

mattk
21-04-2012, 20:19
Hey buddy anymore progress on this little beasty? pics? :burnrubber:

HAndy
22-04-2012, 08:56
Hey buddy anymore progress on this little beasty? pics? :burnrubber:

stripped and rebuilt the 6 speed 02m gearbox replacing the crap rivets on the final drive ring gear with arp bolts and uprating the gear selectors, waiting for the clutch to arrive then i can fit it all , which should start monday 14 may , booked the week of work to get it all done, so will have quite a few new pictures to go up then:cool:

mattk
22-04-2012, 19:00
stripped and rebuilt the 6 speed 02m gearbox replacing the crap rivets on the final drive ring gear with arp bolts and uprating the gear selectors, waiting for the clutch to arrive then i can fit it all , which should start monday 14 may , booked the week of work to get it all done, so will have quite a few new pictures to go up then:cool:

Fantastic, i take it this has the capability of handling a lot more power and torque then your old one? Was this the main reason or was there other reasons for changing it?

I'd just like to say that this project of yours has inspired me (plus getting clearance from management) to start my own little R5 project :smokin: but not until september time when i've raised the capital to start :coffee:

HAndy
23-04-2012, 21:29
Fantastic, i take it this has the capability of handling a lot more power and torque then your old one? Was this the main reason or was there other reasons for changing it?

I'd just like to say that this project of yours has inspired me (plus getting clearance from management) to start my own little R5 project :smokin: but not until september time when i've raised the capital to start :coffee:

:D more reliable long term solution to higher torque loading than what a jc5 can offer, with trackdays in mind;) plus being rwd it will put more strain on the transmission anyway:laugh:

glad to hear your going for a project build, let me know what you have in mind:cooter:

TNT ANDY
23-04-2012, 22:12
C'mon Andy - get this done, I can't wait to see this on track.

Sidways:cooter:

Brizza
23-04-2012, 22:40
WOW!!!! how have i not seen this before?!?!? Just spent the last hour reading through all of this! really inspirational and shows how time really can fly on a little project, Ten years later and I have just about got mine the way I want it hehe :)

mattk
24-04-2012, 12:17
:D more reliable long term solution to higher torque loading than what a jc5 can offer, with trackdays in mind;) plus being rwd it will put more strain on the transmission anyway:laugh:

glad to hear your going for a project build, let me know what you have in mind:cooter:

Will do buddy :devil:

Os8472
10-06-2012, 09:41
Some pics from Andy's current bodging...... Sorry I mean on going works ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/os8472/c3f40706.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/os8472/20c6a3f2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/os8472/bde0dcbb.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/os8472/5da6b798.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/os8472/0fe1675d.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/os8472/e82bf3eb.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/os8472/c1e6fda8.jpg

TNT ANDY
10-06-2012, 10:11
Thanks for the update Oli. Glad to see it in bits again:laugh:. You wwern't kidding on the manifold, beautiful:agree:

How long does it take you to get it out of the car now? Must be abbout 7 seconds by now LOL

TNT ANDY
10-06-2012, 10:17
Can I see a crack in your gearbox housing.5th picture down?

Loving the fisting in 4

Os8472
10-06-2012, 10:46
Thanks for the update Oli. Glad to see it in bits again:laugh:. You wwern't kidding on the manifold, beautiful:agree:

How long does it take you to get it out of the car now? Must be abbout 7 seconds by now LOL

He using Mals lift so about half an hour :/

Os8472
10-06-2012, 10:47
Can I see a crack in your gearbox housing.5th picture down?

Loving the fisting in 4

Haven't noticed 1 but u know HAndy, I dowt he'd miss one

Just shows how big the throttle body is

Tutuur
10-06-2012, 10:55
Awesome! Haven't seen this one before!
Going to have a read soon, looks promising!

TNT ANDY
10-06-2012, 12:59
Haven't noticed 1 but u know HAndy, I dowt he'd miss one

Just shows how big the throttle body is

What do you think? looks like it in the picture.

Have you got your gearbox now?

Os8472
10-06-2012, 18:14

Oh yeah, hadn't noticed that, I'm going over there Tuesday night so I'll take a closer look.

Yep got it, it's on the engine and in the car

HAndy
11-06-2012, 01:28

casting mark on the gearbox;), examined all the casings when i stripped the box and uprated the diff rivets to bolts and selector forks :)

gearbox is in and all new v8 rover mounts fitted:cool:
very little engine movement now;)

reinforcement box section fitted to tie in subframe side rails, as was suffering flex, beefed up the four bolt fixing areas that hold the subframe also, as the original metal plate thickness is like paper:ashamed:
fitted the 560cc injectors to the second rail and trimed the arches around the front wheels ,as they catch on full drop on end to end full lock, with the valver wishbones in place:crap:(should never be an issue on the road/track,but just in case:laugh:

tomorrow will be rose jointed wishbones/tie rods and the rear strut angles then depending how well things go :coffee:

the drive shafts tuesday

gear linkage wensday

splitter and spoiler thursday

friday route the water/meth injection system in the car and snag any other outstanding jobs ,

possibly mot sat??

TNT ANDY
11-06-2012, 06:41
Nice one Andy, don't forget to put the clutch in!
:smokin:

Os8472
14-06-2012, 08:02
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/os8472/fc8c1d14.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/os8472/3314cb9c.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/os8472/a48e30fe.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/os8472/4e22fea6.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/os8472/b61e8fee.jpg

Tutuur
24-07-2012, 11:03
any updates?:)

HAndy
24-07-2012, 19:22
any updates?:)

until this clutch turns up im stuck (almost 4 months waitng)

if i had known this in the first place ,would have gone else where, that and being lied too on a weekly/ monthly basis:mad:

anyway ,should be with me this friday, so next few weeks will be up and running again:eek:

Tony Walker
24-07-2012, 19:36
Loving the wishbones :)

Tutuur
24-07-2012, 21:10
Really keen to see more of this!

HAndy
25-07-2012, 17:21
once its up and running will get some piccys up and maybe even a few dyno runs
with some power figures etc:)

it has changed a little bit :laugh::laugh:

mattk
18-08-2012, 10:48
Sorry to hear about the clutch issue, hope its arrived now :)

HAndy
18-08-2012, 12:52
Sorry to hear about the clutch issue, hope its arrived now :)

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::sad::sad::cry::cry: helix have done nothing but **** me over, they have not even bothered to ring me :mad: after 4 months 3 weeks of waiting and being let down week in and week out, ive ordered a spec job this morning, should be with me in a week or two, looks like i will have a busy month ahead of me:cool:

ordered a duel air /egt k type sensor/ gauge kit from m&bmotorsport this week,for myself jp and os84271 ,so can keep an eye on whats happening;)
here the link http://www.randbmotorsport.co.uk/shop/Default.asp

also bought this
[http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-8-BSP-To-6mm-Compression-Stud-fitting-in-Nickel-plated-brass-Qty-2-b332-/110909570885?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19d2b9bf45#ht_702wt_1163/url]

and 1m x 6mm copper pipe for the exhaust collector, so i can measure the exhaust pressure as described in corkey bell,s maximum boost :)

apart from that ive got everything else sat here in a big box waiting to go on:coffee:

mattk
20-08-2012, 21:42
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::sad::sad::cry::cry: helix have done nothing but **** me over, they have not even bothered to ring me :mad: after 4 months 3 weeks of waiting and being let down week in and week out, ive ordered a spec job this morning, should be with me in a week or two, looks like i will have a busy month ahead of me:cool:

ordered a duel air /egt k type sensor/ gauge kit from m&bmotorsport this week,for myself jp and os84271 ,so can keep an eye on whats happening;)

also bought this
[http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-8-BSP-To-6mm-Compression-Stud-fitting-in-Nickel-plated-brass-Qty-2-b332-/110909570885?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19d2b9bf45#ht_702wt_1163/url]

and 1m x 6mm copper pipe for the exhaust collector, so i can measure the exhaust pressure as described in corkey bell,s maximum boost :)

apart from that ive got everything else sat here in a big box waiting to go on:coffee:

Well glad to hear that you've sorted the clutch issue, pity they dragged you along all this time.

Can't wait to see it up and running again :devil::devil:

Coops
21-08-2012, 09:07
come on! get it slapped together!!!! :smokin:

TNT ANDY
21-08-2012, 09:32
Glad you've seen sense Andy - bring on the power, you've got some work to do:cooter:

TNT ANDY
21-08-2012, 09:34

also bought this

Just reading Max Boost - took it on holiday with me - It's quite a good read as it happens, I can't read 'novels' etc, they just don't interest me - unless it's by Terry Pratchett, in that case I'll make an exception. I need to do some calculations in respect to VE as a starting point.

HAndy
21-08-2012, 23:35
Glad you've seen sense Andy - bring on the power, you've got some work to do:cooter:

it was more of a case of finding a clutch that would fit and take the power;)

even mr malcs tried helix, and guess what.....still no response:laugh::laugh: jokers:devil:.

as regards power, best is yet to come;)

mattk
27-08-2012, 10:07
it was more of a case of finding a clutch that would fit and take the power;)

even mr malcs tried helix, and guess what.....still no response:laugh::laugh: jokers:devil:.

as regards power, best is yet to come;)

Good to hear it :cool: I'm starting to collect parts for my little project now, it takes a while to find all the correct bits and pieces :coffee:

I'm looking forward to seeing what your engine produces :devil::devil:

JP Racing
12-09-2012, 12:03
Hope Handy dosen't mind but though i would put some pictures up of his new clutch only been 4 months+ to sort out you geeza :cooter: lol but now its here no excuses :coffee:

stu21t
12-09-2012, 14:05
Whats so sprcial about it? Not bein funny, just wondered?

I had a one off centre plate made by helix, only took 2 weeks!

I like the fact it came with an alignment tool!
I made my own by cuttin an input shaft up lol.

Os8472
12-09-2012, 14:31

The recess on the O2M flywheel supplied was only 3mm deep which means it wouldn't accept a factory fitment clutch and cover. the pressure plate on the cover that pushes against the friction plate has 3mm machined off it so it should fit and not puts the bearing out of position

Tutuur
12-09-2012, 14:35
so what you're actually saying is the Scoff flywheel isn't just a fit and forget item?
couldn't the design be adjusted for it to be a fit and forget?

Scoff
12-09-2012, 16:04
The recess on the O2M flywheel supplied was only 3mm deep which means it wouldn't accept a factory fitment clutch and cover. the pressure plate on the cover that pushes against the friction plate has 3mm machined off it so it should fit and not puts the bearing out of position

No, it wouldn't accept that one oli, there was something odd about Andy's clutch that ment it wasn't the common 02M fitment. They flywheel takes a factory standard Audi S3, Cupra, Audi TT clutch. I havn't changed the design!

Os8472
12-09-2012, 16:41
so what you're actually saying is the Scoff flywheel isn't just a fit and forget item?
couldn't the design be adjusted for it to be a fit and forget?

I don't know, I don't think thats the case, there must be a clutch that fits, it's just a case of finding which one.

HAndy
12-09-2012, 19:41
to be honest the cover plate is nothing special, it seems to be share the same size cover plate as the sachs racing cover, apart from the locating stud pcd, and clamping plate that holds the 6 paddle etc, has had 3mm machined of it to allow the cover plate to locate correctly to the flywheel face, must amit the sachs cover looks better built, oh well.

HAndy
12-09-2012, 19:44

it was'nt the centre plate causing the issue, it was the person that owns the company that was the problem;)

stu21t
12-09-2012, 21:07
it was'nt the centre plate causing the issue, it was the person that owns the company that was the problem;)

:laugh:
Haha fair enough.

At least your sorted now.

TNT ANDY
17-09-2012, 21:11
skeete wide arches now fitted , and side vents cut out and ducts fitted,will get some pics up (cough cough )os8427;)

if it makes 400bhp that will be more than enough for me:) dont think gearbox will last long at that level :cry:

andy and stu cant wait to meet up :smokin: the beast should be completed hopefully for end of july:cooter:

That was 2010 LOL

Just reading through again - I'm bored.

Mr Raider
17-09-2012, 21:17
That was 2010 LOL

Just reading through again - I'm bored.

But then they say good things come to those who wait! lol ;)

TNT ANDY
17-09-2012, 21:22
With you there Karlos.

:agree::agree::agree:

Going off what he's experienced and researched, he should be getting close to what he want's.

Which is a small blue sideways coffin:laugh:

Os8472
17-09-2012, 21:55
Which is a small blue sideways coffin:laugh:

PMSL :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Mr Raider
17-09-2012, 22:03
Lmao, - feel the love in the east coast massive tonight! :laugh: :wasntme:

Os8472
19-09-2012, 08:03
Lmao, - feel the love in the east coast massive tonight! :laugh: :wasntme:

About the same amount as always :)

HAndy
20-09-2012, 18:04
clutch / gearbox / driveshfts going in this weekend....it will be 85% complete again :cooter:

TNT ANDY
20-09-2012, 18:32
clutch / gearbox / driveshfts going in this weekend....it will be 85% complete again :cooter:

Get your name off EFI RR day then :cooter:

Os8472
20-09-2012, 20:06
Get your name off EFI RR day then :cooter:

He never said he'd be doing any of the work ;)

mattk
21-09-2012, 14:32

Fantastic look forward to seeing this on the road again :) i'm starting to have withdrawal symptoms about this car got to see some more pictures after its all gone back in :smokin:

HAndy
22-09-2012, 08:57
made a start yesterday, engine and gearbox now back together with clutch in:cooter::cooter::cooter: was a pain to fit even with the engine out the car, word of advice , if anyone else is doing this conversion in the near future , remove the drivers side drive shaft output flange first before trying to line up the gearbox to engine;)
all mounts finished and painted and in place along with modified thermastat housing,starter motor and gearbox selector rod connectors , stripped rocker assembly and removed old cams and cam belt, fittting new cams/belt /tensioners sunday along with the new driveshafts with some help from the wise bearded one;)

Tutuur
22-09-2012, 09:17
so wen is the car driving again? :D

pics?

TNT ANDY
22-09-2012, 09:48
made a start yesterday, engine and gearbox now back together with clutch in:cooter::cooter::cooter: was a pain to fit even with the engine out the car, word of advice , if anyone else is doing this conversion in the near future , remove the drivers side drive shaft output flange first before trying to line up the gearbox to engine;)
all mounts finished and painted and in place along with modified thermastat housing,starter motor and gearbox selector rod connectors , stripped rocker assembly and removed old cams and cam belt, fittting new cams/belt /tensioners sunday along with the new driveshafts with some help from the wise bearded one;)

TNT Tricky Nicky
22-09-2012, 14:05
Good work Andy :agree:

Must have been out of the loop for too long, someone has grown a beard and is considered to be wise :laugh:

mattk
22-09-2012, 17:21

:yeah::cool2::niceone:

HAndy
23-09-2012, 09:09
hopefully tuesday night will get some pics up, the egt/air temp gauges turned up yesterday, so might fit that as well if i have enough time:cooter:

exhaust system and screamer pipe system should be finished by end of next week also:cooter::cooter::cool:

TNT ANDY
23-09-2012, 09:36
hopefully tuesday night will get some pics up, the egt/air temp gauges turned up yesterday, so might fit that as well if i have enough time:cooter:

exhaust system and screamer pipe system should be finished by end of next week also:cooter::cooter::cool:

Good work Andy - Might pop along to see you, or may start removing my engine.

Decisions decisions

Os8472
26-09-2012, 10:53
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/os8472/4F4BB22D-A55B-4064-BF1D-35697ECE5F10-6738-000007EA88619B35.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/os8472/E0E58121-B634-4ED1-B36A-36FE5DD994B1-6738-000007EA91934A7A.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/os8472/BF89129F-05BB-4FFA-8B47-F269EA0C41F3-6738-000007EA54DAE3CF.jpg

Tutuur
26-09-2012, 11:19
Looks great! What turbo is it?

TNT ANDY
26-09-2012, 11:47
Looks great! What turbo is it?

A fooking big one.

Tutuur
26-09-2012, 11:49
Looks like a gtx because of the 11 blades however it isn't a gtx cover...

Os8472
26-09-2012, 12:56
GT3071r fitted with an aftermarket GTX comp wheel

Tutuur
26-09-2012, 13:21
must have been way cheaper then my gtx3071r then? :(

although you shouldn't forget the geometry of the gtx wheel is different than the gt wheel so the housing is probably sh*t on it....

Tony Walker
26-09-2012, 18:34
Thats an awful lot of effort to blow up a glove.

TNT ANDY
26-09-2012, 19:13
I have a bonner!:cooter:

allanr5gtt
26-09-2012, 19:43
Thats an awful lot of effort to blow up a glove.

hahahaha:laugh::laugh:

mattk
26-09-2012, 21:25
Wow thats a big turbo :devil: its going to sound awesome spooling up when its two feet from your head :smokin:

Mr Raider
26-09-2012, 22:46
Niceone Andy, - am thinking meet up when shes done with the usual suspects?! ;)

TNT ANDY
27-09-2012, 06:45
I'm thinking of a Crimbo Doo.

Maybe a meet up in Cambridge to get southern members involved also.

See

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?p=293769#post293769

TNT ANDY
07-10-2012, 20:40
C'mon MoFo - Update please.

HAndy
08-10-2012, 09:27
C'mon MoFo - Update please.

formed new turbo oil return pipe back to sump, for the new turbo position ,(15 mm copper pipe and bender,and 2x copper olives for the swaged ends;))
wired in the new starter motor,fitted the hydro pipe to the clutch cylinder/ release bearing,(m10x1.00) for future reference if anyone else goes 02m route;)
also fitted the header tank, coolant hoses for the rad (pain in the arse,getting it to clear the gear selector arms/bracket:() turbo and wastegate, also fitted the 350cc injectors to the first fuel rail (closest to the cylinder head) and fitted a new tow eye bracket and seatbelt type tow strap:) the tow eye bracket is part of the front box section/slam panel where the subframe bolts up,and fits neatly between the air intakes in the bumper:cooter: front splitter has covered over the o.e tye bracket and position:innocent:

Tim is taking the car up to his workshop today,so hopefully by the end of this week the manifold and exhaust system will be complete:cool:

getting there:laugh::laugh:

HAndy
08-10-2012, 09:44
decided to run the wastegate and exhaust seperate to each other , i know we spoke about this a few weeks ago, and the sound of a screamer pipe sounding like poo!!, but i still dont think it will be a big problem in my case as the exhaust is loud anyway and being only 1.5m long in total length and with the engine being fairly close to the seating area:cooter::cooter: well you know what im getting at;):D,

the waste gate pipe will run along side the exhaust system and both will then be joined together where they exit the rear bumber , should look very nice ,and have less flow restrictions/turbulance issues to overcome:)

HAndy
12-10-2012, 19:41
been busy buying more bits for the beast, bought a few m6 rose joints and rods for turbo bracket support/ bars, two poly x exhaust mounts and another load of fuel lines/connetors/ in line filter for modifiying the existing fuel system with:cooter: the exhaust /wastegate system is looking good and is 95% done:cool:, and have been designing /building a release handle for my new compbrake handbrake system, so i can engage release with one hand, without having to mess about and take my eyes of the road, so to speak:laugh: :laugh:, i have also got to build a heat shield for drivers side drive shaft inner rubber gaiter, as it sits fairly close to the runners on the exhaust manifold and will no doubt burn/melt in time sending grease all over the manifold and resulting in a ball of flames:crap:,

looks like im going to be busy for a few more weeks/months yet:coffee:

5 turbo
13-10-2012, 13:11
**** that'll be a laugh in the wet...

wooooooooooooooosh,,spiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin....Hopefully change, and again wooooooooooooooooooosh,,spiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin hopefully change........

Qtr mile time N/A...
Kwick fit "trade" account..........................most definately applicable :wasntme:

Top Job fella :agree: :agree:

mattk
02-11-2012, 22:02
Just read through the spread in PPC on this again, and was thinking how much it's changed since that ;) how's it coming anyway?

HAndy
03-11-2012, 09:20
will get some pics up later today;)

mattk
03-11-2012, 09:31

Sweeeeet :cool:

TNT ANDY
04-11-2012, 16:29

:confused:

HAndy
04-11-2012, 18:57
my computer skills fail:confused:
up loaded photos to photobucket, but from there cant/wont transfer to the rtoc site,anybody got an idiots guide on how to upload:ashamed:

TNT ANDY
04-11-2012, 19:11
:)

Tutuur
04-11-2012, 19:49
Just copy the url link below the pic and paste it here.

HAndy
04-11-2012, 19:49
here is a few piccys of the wastegate and exhaust system,still got a little bit of work to dohttp://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af41/turbochappers/r5gtt/P1020171.jpg

http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af41/turbochappers/r5gtt/P1020172.jpg

here is a few of the the engine bay with the pipe work dummy fitted so to speak, still need to fettle abit with the layouthttp://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af41/turbochappers/r5gtt/P1020175.jpg

http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af41/turbochappers/r5gtt/P1020180.jpg

http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af41/turbochappers/r5gtt/P1020182.jpg
http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af41/turbochappers/r5gtt/P1020183.jpg

here is a few of the new hydrolic handbrake, had to ditch the old set up, as the new gear selector system got in the way of 2nd and 4th and sixthhttp://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af41/turbochappers/r5gtt/P1020165.jpg

http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af41/turbochappers/r5gtt/P1020164.jpg
http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af41/turbochappers/r5gtt/P1020179.jpg

here is the new exhaust pipe layouthttp://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af41/turbochappers/r5gtt/P1020174.jpg

and finaly a few shots of the outside of the car, its not been cleaned in months and has a few issues with movement cracks on the kit, but will sort theses out next year
http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af41/turbochappers/r5gtt/P1020170.jpg
http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af41/turbochappers/r5gtt/P1020169.jpghttp://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af41/turbochappers/r5gtt/P1020168.jpg

and some more shots of the front splitter and connardshttp://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af41/turbochappers/r5gtt/P1020184.jpg
http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af41/turbochappers/r5gtt/P1020185.jpg

got lots more to do, like getting rid of the ****e fit carbon bonnet, got a nice 16v fibreglass item to fit, not everyones cup of tea :D also will be re fitting the phase one grill:cool:

HAndy
04-11-2012, 19:54
and get rid of the scoops as they dont look right, already started making new items,but with horizontal slats like the original skeete type :cool:

and a general tidy up over winter along with a gauge sort out,knock sensor to fit ,air/exh temp gauge, and maybe meth injection to go in:scratch:

Tutuur
04-11-2012, 20:00
Finally some progress pics :D Can't wait to see it in the flesh next year!

Where do you get the intake air from?

philr5t
04-11-2012, 20:01
Outstanding project mate really does look amazing and I'm quite jealous actually :) it's making me want to start another project, I really can't wait to see this next year great work mate :agree:

Phil

HAndy
04-11-2012, 20:05
Finally some progress pics :D Can't wait to see it in the flesh next year!

Where do you get the intake air from?

passenger rear side scoop for the air filter, drivers side for the oil cooler, rad is still in the front for engine:)

mattk
04-11-2012, 22:14
Car looks fantastic mate, those image rims really suit the car well :) I'll be honest this is inspiring me to start my project and finally get the ball rolling.

I think the 16v bonnet will look good, where did you get it from?

Mr Raider
04-11-2012, 22:17
Great work Andy, - been busy then! look forward to seeing her finished :agree: :cool:

markey b
05-11-2012, 00:11
Give me 1st refusal on the ****e bonnet ;-)

HAndy
05-11-2012, 07:16
Car looks fantastic mate, those image rims really suit the car well :) I'll be honest this is inspiring me to start my project and finally get the ball rolling.

I think the 16v bonnet will look good, where did you get it from?

bought it from rtoc member lynchstar, lucky old me:D:cool:

does anybody know who made them ?:scratch:

HAndy
05-11-2012, 07:25
thanks for the great comments guys, still got lots to do, will get more piccys up over the next week or so, thinking of carbon wraping the 16v bonnet or maybe painting it blue, thoughts on that anybody:scratch:

carbon bonnet will be coming of in the next three weeks
cough cough mr B;)