PDA

View Full Version : Honda Integra Type R

scratcher
09-10-2008, 18:51
after getting increasingly fustrated with ford garages most of the fun has been stolen from my KA :( so... i've been considering trading up for an integra type r.
has anyone had or driven one or now their stuff on the japs?
i've ben looking at a few on tinternet and i like the sounds of a 98 spec?

any opinions?

raj
09-10-2008, 20:38
only got good things to say about hondas. good solid engines :agree: may not be the fastest out the pot but they sure have alot of potential.!
im sure the newer cars are more on the heavy side though!?

djinuk
09-10-2008, 21:32
My friend has a green del sol , with a tuned b16 lump in it, thats damn quick, just i find vtec to produce a weird power curve, than can some time be a ball ache to put to good use. The engines are so damn solid though, and if you take a average conrod and piston from most other cars , and compare them to any out of honda engines, the finish is awesome.

dave j gtt
10-10-2008, 02:45
interga 1998 , mate had one until he crashed it:sad2:,

good car, bit pricey still holding 5k+ all he ever did was service it which was dear
, and new brakes which warped rapid style. also the clutch slave cylinder.

think its best to get one with full honda service history

overall was a good car , nice on fuel, dear on insurence and parts.

scratcher
10-10-2008, 17:03
i've thought they might be a bit pricey on the ol' parts front but i hoped the reliability would see them not needing too many bits doing. but then again if its 10 years old :rolleyes:
i'm gunna see about going to see a few soon :)

5alldaway
11-10-2008, 21:42
read the feature in a recent performance car mag, the type r was top of a hot hatch thrash they had, said alot of postive things, its a car id like to have a drive in sometime to see whether it lives up to the hype

sphinX
12-10-2008, 00:15
My mate just bought a JDM spec DC5 Teg, Beautiful car, pulls well too. 8.5k it cost him but he p/x his civic sport for it. Lovely car. Earlier versions the 98 are also nice sold cars, they seem to take everything you throw at them

Amber5GTTurb
13-10-2008, 09:15
Just sold our b16a1 VTec CRX (advertised on here). A few of my mates have integras but actually are only slightly quicker then the Rex. Many integras smoke and burn loads of oil (aparently in the handbook, after 30,000miles your supposed to change to a different oil but many people didn't know this when they bought the cars so ignore it causing problems later on).

VTecs are great fun and the Integra is arguable THE best handling car however they aren't actually as reliable as everyone says. Valve-stem oil seals are a common prob and once these have gone and been fixed the problem still tends to keep returning costing loads (about a Łg everytime - if you take it somewhere and don't do it yourself).

One of my mates has just taken his off the road to rebuild it - it's already had the vsos's done once but it's smoking like **** so wants to see whats up. At one point, if we went for a drive anywhere, he woudl have to fill up with oil before the journey home again!

Brakes tend to be a problem and parts can be expensive as most of the time you have to get them from Honda.

On the other hand, they rev right up to about 11k (the rex limited out at just over 10) and are very responsive.

My other mates got a del sol VTec turbo which is no use cos she can only run about 2 or 3 psi otherwise it's goodbye Honda!

Anyway - I don't want to put you off, just wanted to let you know that all Hondas aren't as people say. Looked after Integras that havn't been in the VTec everyday (as with all cars) are great though and are well worth it.

Amber5GTTurb
13-10-2008, 09:20
If you want some more info join up (free) at my friends club www. SJ-CC.net. Theyre very helpful and will tell you all about their Tegs. :)

Ross99
13-10-2008, 10:05
amber do you know rex daz? pinky as i call him?

mate tegs are good, one of the jap cars i have not owned i hear good things about them for track use also however i think there are far better cars for the money they demand.

Amber5GTTurb
13-10-2008, 12:17
amber do you know rex daz? pinky as i call him?

mate tegs are good, one of the jap cars i have not owned i hear good things about them for track use also however i think there are far better cars for the money they demand.

No I don't think so - unless he has a silver one with a 2.0 bottom end (that's the only other person i've met with one).:confused:

scratcher
13-10-2008, 16:44
nice one Amber, some useful info there. i'll have to read up on some buying guides too so i can know a few more details. i'm only after a DC2 prob a '98 spec, something like this http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/671398.htm
i'm getting ever tempted by a 200sx as well :rolleyes:

BriC
13-10-2008, 16:52
Don't get a 200sx, unless you enjoy being surrounded by people who's only interest in the car is to put some bald tyres on, some 'Drift' stickers, call their car drift spec, rag the living daylight out of it and then go on to sell it when the engine is about to implode. That's my rant on the experience I had with the 200sx :)

scratcher
13-10-2008, 22:29
Don't get a 200sx, unless you enjoy being surrounded by people who's only interest in the car is to put some bald tyres on, some 'Drift' stickers, call their car drift spec, rag the living daylight out of it and then go on to sell it when the engine is about to implode. That's my rant on the experience I had with the 200sx :)

hahaha, fair points though. i'd probably spin one into a dirty great mess anyway thinking i'm a rally driver and look like a :jerkoff: ha.

ollyhock
18-10-2008, 20:33
my wife has a mitsy colt czt turbo, paid 12k but you can pickthem up for 5k now suprisingly quick, witha 57i induction kit there 170bhp and only the same weight as as gtt

Amber5GTTurb
24-10-2008, 13:39

No probs - I tend to get brainwashed a bit by Jap cars cos of the other half! ;)

Not true (well actually it probably is!lol :)) 200's are f**in good cars when they've been looked after and had som $$ spent on them!

My boyfriend had one a couple of months ago and looked after it - that's probably cos he couldn't drift properly which isn't a bad thing but anyway, it had a stage 3 engine 340bhp - bit of a beast.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h70/invisibleconspiracy/n533568119_369951_8739.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h70/invisibleconspiracy/n533568119_369954_9847.jpg

You should be able to tell if its been looked after by what mods it has on it - if it's gonna be drifted the cambre and brakes etc need to be set up properly otherwise it'll just f**k - same with any car though I spose. Loved that car, oen of our mates owns it now - he loves to light up the back wheels :cool:

BriC
24-10-2008, 13:57
Yeh.. that does look rather nice. To be fair, I wouldn't mind an S14 that's been set up for grip, rather than going sideways :)

Sparkie
24-10-2008, 15:31
my mate has got an s14a, with 450bhp at the wheels. it goes very well...but the speeds you can reach are life threatening.....