PDA

View Full Version : Wierd Problem

sphinX
09-10-2008, 16:56
Hi guys, had a problem with the 5.

A couple of Weeks ago my Battery Light kept flickering on and off whilst driving, it got worse and then eventually the fan belt slipped off. I put it back on, everything was sorted, then whilst on boost the fan belt snapped off. Anyway I put a new fan belt on and i thought everything was fixed but whenever I go on boost I see the battery light flicker on and off. I don't understand what the problem is? Anyone shed any light on what I should look for? Cheers

James5
09-10-2008, 17:45
Purple connection on the alternator loose

Tiny Tim
09-10-2008, 18:07
Right sort of belt on?

Belt too tight?

Belt stop on water pump in place?

sphinX
09-10-2008, 18:30
il check the purple connection 2moro

as for the belt, it is the right one im sure of it. I can twist it 1/4 turn, which is what I thought should be right. Belt stop on water pump? what is that?

Tiny Tim
09-10-2008, 18:37
It sits just below the oil breather pot on the water pump, its basically a very small shaft that sticks out from the pump just behind the main pump wheel and is there to stop the belt slipping off.

sphinX
09-10-2008, 18:43
oh that, yea when I looked at mine the other day it was bent away from the belt...this must have happened when it 1st came off?

stuTHC
10-10-2008, 12:24
The belt stop is a 5mm diameter hardened or stainless steel peg, a rubber belt would never bend it, so what you are looking at is probably not the belt stop.

By the sounds of it your problem is the alternator thou. Battery light flickering and throwing belts is a classic sign that your bearings are **** on the alternator shaft, i bet there is a load of play on the pulley. Try a new/recon alternator :)

Mart
10-10-2008, 12:27
Might also be worth checking the alternator bracket (for cracks/bolted up) and the long bolt, which holds the alternator in situ, is tightened up.

G801CVT
10-10-2008, 23:21
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

If the belt is slipping under load as it sounds then would first ensure that the pullies and new belt are clean and oil free - not slipping.

Scoff
11-10-2008, 00:13
as above, no.1 suspect. no.2 suspect should be the smaller wiring to the top of the alternator, namely the purple and yellow wires. a loose connection on the yellow wire here will cause the battery lamp to flicker. no.3 suspect should be the alternator itself - sometimes they like to play up at high rpm's when they're old.

sphinX
11-10-2008, 15:34
Nice one guys, I took off the belt and re-put it back on make sure it was on properly and that the bolt holding it in place was completely firm, checked the purple wire, seemed fine. Since then the light hasnt come on at all after about 100miles of on and off boosting so hopefully I have sorted the problem. If I see it again though I will prob change the alternator.

Thanx for the help :d