PDA

View Full Version : loud knocking??? help please

nemesis 1006
05-04-2010, 14:39
hay all just wondering iv got a loud knocking coming from the front passager side of my r5 i first thought it could be the drive shaft but when iv checked it for excesive play it dont really move its got abit of play but not alot have you got any ideas what else it could be i.e wheel bearing or ? any help would be greatfull cheers guys :)

Chris Hebden
05-04-2010, 14:43
Jack the front of the car and put your hands at 9 & 3 o'clock (on the wheel) and give the wheel a good yank left to right, if you feel any give it could be the track road end. Also, hands at 11 & 5 o'clock (on the wheel) and give the wheel a good yank if you feel any give this could be the lower ball joint.

Finally, get a bar under the front wheel and pull the front wheel up (using the bar) while looking at the top of the strut (in the wheel arch) and see if there is any excessive lift.

Hope this makes sense.

nemesis 1006
05-04-2010, 14:48
quailty stuff ill give all that ago tomoz cus iv got the day off cheers for the help and advise :agree::)

paul-11turbo
09-04-2010, 13:18
Did you find anything thats causing the knocking?

Mine makes a knocking when i go over little bumps and holes in the road and need to find out what is causing it really as it does my head in.
also it cant be safe :scratch:

Bigfoot
09-04-2010, 13:23

Mine makes a knocking when i go over little bumps and holes in the road and need to find out what is causing it really as it does my head in.

Take off the suspension and look at the top mounts, they could be cracked which could be causing this.

Kris M
10-04-2010, 11:35
anti roll bar bushes ???

nemesis 1006
11-04-2010, 20:49
Hay peeps iv had the suspension off and fitted new rubbers and bearings both sides on the top also iv checked the driveshafts and the track rod end ball joint but still no joy iv still got a loud knocking noise from the front end when driving! I'm lost I don't know what else it could be :confused::scratch:

J$£5GTT
11-04-2010, 21:00
Hay peeps iv had the suspension off and fitted new rubbers and bearings both sides on the top also iv checked the driveshafts and the track rod end ball joint but still no joy iv still got a loud knocking noise from the front end when driving! I'm lost I don't know what else it could be :confused::scratch:

check your engine mounts..g'box would be a good start..:agree:
:)

nemesis 1006
12-04-2010, 14:33

sounds to me like your prob is the top strut rubbers or bearings m8 mine dont knock when going over bumps or hole it knocks all the time :mad: hope this helps :agree:

Chris Hebden
12-04-2010, 14:43
Did you do everything stated above, including checking your anti roll bar links?

nemesis 1006
13-04-2010, 12:08
No I haven't had a chance yet iv been working but iv got tomorrow off so I'm gunna change the anti roll bar bushes and the lower ball joints and see if that makes a differance cus iv check everything else and changed it plus the engine mount are new but I'll keep u informed if I find anythink :agree::p

nemesis 1006
15-04-2010, 20:47
ryt peeps iv still got this f***ing loud knocking from the front of my car :mad: iv changed the suspension top rubbers and bearings iv put new weels on and iv changed the anti roll bar bushes the engine mounts are new i changed them when i done the rebuild but still no luck im getting to the point were it is really pissing me off :cry::mad: cus i just dont know what it could be :confused: has anyone got anymore ideas on wot could be causing this f**king noise :scratch:

nemesis 1006
15-04-2010, 21:46
any idea's people :confused::confused::confused:

J$£5GTT
15-04-2010, 21:49
ok so you done the engine mounts...but just maybe the rear mount has come loose,that will make the engine rock about an sound like a knock..

Chris Hebden
16-04-2010, 08:32
Have you changed the lower ball joints? Have you changed the track rod ends? Have you changed/looked at the wishbone joints?

nemesis 1006
17-04-2010, 01:31
Yes to all above I changed all that to day but it is still there I'm starting to think it's the g/box, it's booked in to Ktec on Thursday so I'm just gunna let them have alook to see wat it is :) looks like I'm just gunna have to go back to driving my scooby for awhile :sad2:

tom t
17-04-2010, 17:44
what about the front stabiliser mount?

IANMM
17-04-2010, 17:58
have you checked the brakes?

TNT Tricky Nicky
17-04-2010, 19:28
is the roll pin holding the off side drive shaft in place as if that's missing it will move and knock?