PDA

View Full Version : Windscreen fitting

Rob@Backyardracing
28-03-2010, 18:41
Ok, so ive repaired my windscreen surround on my 5 and want to re fitting my screen, idealy i could do with a new fresh screen but i just havnt got the funds and i really need to move the car fastish. So im going to fit the old screen but use a rubber seal from an old transit van (so ive been told i can do) im going to save all my OE plastic surrounds etc for when i get a new screen. Any advice on screen fitting? what bond to use? ive removed them ok before but never fitted.. any advice will be great.. :)

philg
28-03-2010, 18:47
I will be interested in this to.

phil

tiff_lee
28-03-2010, 19:02
I'm just waiting on a new seal before I fit my screen but i'm going to use some Sikaflex 255 and I have a couple of suction clamps to make it a little easier putting the screen in place.

J$£5GTT
28-03-2010, 22:24
i think you will be fine in using sikaflex or stixall,stixall in name sounds a bit amateurish,but its a good adhesive,available in clear,black an white an cures to a rubber like finish.

:agree:

Rob@Backyardracing
28-03-2010, 22:32
What about aftermarket seals? will the ford tranny do the job?

J$£5GTT
28-03-2010, 22:35
What about aftermarket seals? will the ford tranny do the job?

hi rob,i had my screen done a few yrs ago,the guy used a 'universal seal',looks ok an does away with that gap at the botton to,transit seal i am not familiar with,may work tho.

:)

gimme5
28-03-2010, 23:37
not sure about transit seal,i used universal seal as mentioned above
dont forget to spirit wipe metal down and around windscreen and apply
windscreen primer to allow sealant to bond to surfaces,i used a windscreen sealer
from a bodyshop to keep the rigability of the shell

Schakal
29-03-2010, 00:33
i think you will be fine in using sikaflex or stixall,stixall in name sounds a bit amateurish,but its a good adhesive,available in clear,black an white an cures to a rubber like finish.

:agree:

its made by dinitrol and comes in salami packaging :agree:

tiff_lee
29-03-2010, 00:53
Ok where do you find this 'universal seal'?

BriC
29-03-2010, 07:27
I fitted one using a kit off ebay - came with all the stuff to prep the panel, apply it all, etc. Didn't cost too much from memory either.

youngscottie
29-03-2010, 20:53
tiger seal in black
£10 from the local factors 2 years no leaks:)