PDA

View Full Version : spark plugs

tom t
25-03-2010, 20:15
does anybody run these or reccomend them?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RENAULT-5-TURBO-NGK-IRIDIUM-IX-SPARK-PLUGS-x4_W0QQitemZ270226795087QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Cars Parts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item3eeac5aa4f

or should i just go for ngks? thanks

Markey Mark (BD)
25-03-2010, 20:19
Just normal NGK B8EVX, Champion plugs (for life of me can't think of standard number) or even NGK campus plugs will be fine no need to go for those type of plugs

J$£5GTT
25-03-2010, 20:19
dont waste your money,ngk b8eg...or budget tuning ftw campus plugs.

:)

tom t
25-03-2010, 20:29
will they all be ok to run 21 psi? cheers:agree:

Markey Mark (BD)
25-03-2010, 20:35
will they all be ok to run 21 psi? cheers:agree:

Yes they will mate

markey b
25-03-2010, 20:38
random bit to add to this, but when i run OE plugs from renault (£10 each!!!) i get a missfire under high boost, but not with iridium, also had the same with the B8EVX, swapped back to iridium and all is well. would high compression and standard plugs cause this? its a bit random?!?! almost as if big boost blows out the flame, or thats what it feels like

RoboEK
25-03-2010, 21:06
Its because the high compresion makes it hader for the spark to jump the gap on the plug, it could be a good sign that it is time to upgrade the ignition components and you may even see some more power.

markey b
26-03-2010, 01:25
silly question alert...

how would i upgrade ignition components? :cartman:

could i use a different coil maybe?

markey b
26-03-2010, 01:55
something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MSD-Ignition-General-Usage-Blaster-SS-Coil-PN-8207_W0QQitemZ380214032405QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Ca rsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item588685b815

or just big waste of cash?

Mart
26-03-2010, 07:55
As said, you might find good gains with a higher o/p ht coil.

Myself & Sparkie (or was it KD?) ran such a unit from Summit Racing many years back in the high boost days, and that seemed to help, more so with a slight increase in plug gap.

Downside though was that it shortened the life of the rotor arm & cap contacts, but in the grand scheme of things they're only pennies to replace yearly/at service time anyway.

When I got sensible (!) & reverted back to mediocre boost levels, I removed the coil & refitted the o.e item as that was (and is) more than upto the job.

Thundercat
26-03-2010, 08:16
I'm running with the NGK Iridium plugs in my raider with 23 psi, seem to give better detonation on boost but found they misfire when engine cold. But have no problem with the standard NGKs (the so called red box plugs). The best thing i've found is to keep plugs cleaned regularly and i use a plug sand blaster of USA ebay.

Jimmy_GTT
26-03-2010, 10:05

Myself & Sparkie (or was it KD?) ran such a unit from Summit Racing many years back in the high boost days, and that seemed to help, more so with a slight increase in plug gap.

Downside though was that it shortened the life of the rotor arm & cap contacts, but in the grand scheme of things they're only pennies to replace yearly/at service time anyway.

When I got sensible (!) & reverted back to mediocre boost levels, I removed the coil & refitted the o.e item as that was (and is) more than upto the job.

What plug gap have you used those days? ;)
As I have Megasquirt for ignition in my car in wasted spark mode, so I think I can increase the gap...

Mart
26-03-2010, 10:24
0.8mm if memory serves me correctly. Didn't want to go too mad as there's still the rotor arm-cap contact gap for the spark to 'jump' as well, albeit a miniscule distance.

Jimmy_GTT
26-03-2010, 11:34
0.8mm if memory serves me correctly. Didn't want to go too mad as there's still the rotor arm-cap contact gap for the spark to 'jump' as well, albeit a miniscule distance.

And still using B8EVX just increase the gap from 0.69 to 0.8?
Is it worth making it any larger? I do not have rotor, so no spark 'jump'.

markey b
26-03-2010, 13:24

do you think the link i posted above would be suitable? i think for that much its worth a shot, i rarely use big boost but it'd be nice just to be in the knowledge its ok.
lastly, what output is a std coil?

tom t
27-03-2010, 23:23
i got the nkg b8evx. Havent drove the car much but there seems a slight missfire. Need to investigate more. Also the old plugs where b8eg. Do you think the difference in plugs could be the problem? Thanks