PDA

View Full Version : buying a new car

jackw04_123
25-03-2010, 17:05
hi i am looking to buy a car privately and i was just wondering what are the key things to look for to make sure i am not buying a shed, any advice??

Bigfoot
25-03-2010, 17:11
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=4795

BriC
25-03-2010, 18:53
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=4795

How long ago was that written? It seems rather out of date.

D4WNO
25-03-2010, 19:30
If anyone has the time to rewrite it we would very much appreciate it :agree:

Sparkie
25-03-2010, 19:37
open the boot. push you left hand, in the cubby hole. - push up and over the wheel arch with a straight fingers. - when at the top of the arch, push down with the tips of your fingers. - you feel rust or your fingers go through the top of the arch, well done you have a rotten car. - better check the sills, jacking points - body - where the rear trailing arm bolts to. floorpan under your feet. etc etc etc

Kenobi
25-03-2010, 20:42
open the boot. push you left hand, in the cubby hole. - push up and over the wheel arch with a straight fingers. - when at the top of the arch, push down with the tips of your fingers. - you feel rust or your fingers go through the top of the arch, well done you have a rotten car. - better check the sills, jacking points - body - where the rear trailing arm bolts to. floorpan under your feet. etc etc etc

:agree: Good man.

J$£5GTT
25-03-2010, 21:01
what car you have in mind?

firstchoicegary
25-03-2010, 21:09
check join lines on bonnet wings boot etc line up symmetric so you know its not been a write off, check paint work colour matches perfect on doors rear quarter panels and wings, make sure you got v5 full service history or proof its been serviced. try get a mate to check suspension etc avoid knocking noises on tight turnings maybe cv or worse. check oil and make sure engine is not pristine on an old car as it may have been steam cleaned.

HULK
25-03-2010, 21:30
Errr HPI check it???

firstchoicegary
25-03-2010, 21:37
good idea but my was crash estimater and repaired hes nova years ago through work and no record but hpi a must i thought that anyway

firstchoicegary
25-03-2010, 21:38
my mate was left that out

kayzee
26-03-2010, 10:34
Errr HPI check it???

Doesn't mean anything imo. I know plently of people that have been in crashes and repaired the car outside of insurance... so the HPI will still be clear.

Saying that, I still always do one though.

Spooky
26-03-2010, 11:13
Nothing beats a damn good going over...

Check the documents marry up ie VIN numbers match on the body and stamped locations, log book is in order etc

Interior wise - check the mileage is accurate, have a sniff around the dash area to see if its been tampered with...or ask why if it has been.

Seats and trim will depend on car, age and useage so its down to you to nit pick.

Check windows for leaks and how secure they are etc

Exterior wise - Check for panel alignment, overspray etc...well, basically anything that looks newer than it should...it can be hard to detect but generally following panel lines can indicate something has been altered since leaving the factory...

Always good to look under the car...rust and rot in the sill areas, wheel arches and where the subframe or rear beam is fixed to the body are all areas where water loves to live :coffee:

ALWAYS check the boot and ENGINE BAY...again, look for panel alignment and colour change which will indicate any other than a factory finish...

If you are not happy doing this yourself, take someone who is familiar with cars and give it a thorough going over.

Mechanically it could be a nightmare...just look at the basic areas ie tread on tyres, oil level, coolant level, is anything leaking etc etc

The AA or RAC do comprehensive vehicle checks so it may be worth looking into that if you are keen on the chosen car.

HPI check will let you know about any previous financial or insurance based history *I think*

Always test drive BEFORE making any decision.

If its too good to be true, it probably is so STEER CLEAR!!

I would expand further but thats pretty much my rule of thumb :agree: :smokin:

REMEMBER : any issues you find or are not happy about either haggle...or walk away...

HULK
26-03-2010, 12:11
Doesn't mean anything imo. I know plently of people that have been in crashes and repaired the car outside of insurance... so the HPI will still be clear.

Saying that, I still always do one though.

True but it is still vital in finding if the car still has finance left on it, been stolen and recovered. It will Tell you many other things apart from just crashes.

Penfold aka The Dealer
26-03-2010, 13:20
Nothing beats a damn good going over...

Check the documents marry up ie VIN numbers match on the body and stamped locations, log book is in order etc

Interior wise - check the mileage is accurate, have a sniff around the dash area to see if its been tampered with...or ask why if it has been.

Seats and trim will depend on car, age and useage so its down to you to nit pick.

Check windows for leaks and how secure they are etc

Exterior wise - Check for panel alignment, overspray etc...well, basically anything that looks newer than it should...it can be hard to detect but generally following panel lines can indicate something has been altered since leaving the factory...

Always good to look under the car...rust and rot in the sill areas, wheel arches and where the subframe or rear beam is fixed to the body are all areas where water loves to live :coffee:

ALWAYS check the boot and ENGINE BAY...again, look for panel alignment and colour change which will indicate any other than a factory finish...

If you are not happy doing this yourself, take someone who is familiar with cars and give it a thorough going over.

Mechanically it could be a nightmare...just look at the basic areas ie tread on tyres, oil level, coolant level, is anything leaking etc etc

The AA or RAC do comprehensive vehicle checks so it may be worth looking into that if you are keen on the chosen car.

HPI check will let you know about any previous financial or insurance based history *I think*

Always test drive BEFORE making any decision.

If its too good to be true, it probably is so STEER CLEAR!!

I would expand further but thats pretty much my rule of thumb :agree: :smokin:

REMEMBER : any issues you find or are not happy about either haggle...or walk away...

says the bloke who brought a white 5 with out a test drive & it broke down within 2 miles on the way home!!! Dodgy seller's out there :p;)

Spooky
26-03-2010, 14:30
Hahahaha...I was thorough, or so I thought...;) :laugh:

Spooky
26-03-2010, 14:31
Personally I thought I was stitched up a bit ;) ;) :wasntme: