PDA

View Full Version : Turbo pressure testing?

SP33DY
23-03-2010, 22:09
I'm in the middle of redoing my turbo conversion on my clio and am just about to fit the turbo. It has a gt28r comp housing along with bolt on adaptors so I can connect my boost pipes.
I figured it would be a good idea to ensure they were sealed correctly so I placed my hand over the comp intake and then blew into the comp outlet and I'm shocked that there is a tiny air leak. I got my mate to blow into it for me so i could have a listen to see where it's coming from and it's coming from the oil way outlet.

Is this normal? as I don't have my old turbo to compare it with.:cry:

It really is a tiny air leak, and you have to blow really hard to get it to leak, how many psi can a 30yr old pair of lungs produce? :)

Cheers

Steve

SCHWARTZ
23-03-2010, 22:19
i tried blowing into my tyre gauge the other day random i know max i could get was 4-4.5 psi so not much im guessing looks like the leak would quite big if you had some deacent pressure behind it.

SP33DY
23-03-2010, 22:22
Very Random, but it's certainly cheered me up :)

Tony Walker
23-03-2010, 23:02
Your oil pressure is going to be much higher than the air pressure in your compressor housing. Once the engine is running the turbo will be spinning on a thin film of oil, air wont leak there but possibly a small amount of oil will pass in and be burnt but this is normal. excessive amounts will be obvious.

SP33DY
24-03-2010, 10:53
Cheers for the replies chaps.