View Full Version : Turbo

Smokey
22-03-2010, 19:14
There is a turbo for sale in the classified section and its a T25 of a rover tom cat it needs the housings rotating and the dump valve blanking off for gtt.

How much work is involved in getting this to fit and at wat cost also where could i get this done, im very interested in this but is it better for me to just get one thats a straight fit to the renault.

Im not very clued up on this so help is very much need.

Thanks

SCHWARTZ
22-03-2010, 20:01
rotating the housings is a simple case of undoing nuts and turning the housings round no need for balancing etc... because youre not touching the core. I dont know about the dump valve but assume a simple reasonably thick steel or ally plate would do the job but dont hold me to that

Smokey
22-03-2010, 20:06
thanks for your input,
and im assuming theres no difference in power as its from a Rover because its still a T25 right.
So anyone know about the dumpvalve bit.

Thanks

TrixNFlix
22-03-2010, 20:11
Regards the dumpvalve bit you would create a blanking plate and seal it with gasket sealer. Just use the original dumpvalve plate as a template. Another thing Mathew, the rover t25's dont seem to last that long on the gtt with the higher boost.

Smokey
22-03-2010, 20:15
so ideally get myself one designed specifically for a gtt, im not in any rush im just saw it and thort it was a good price.

How much would i expect to spend on a brand new T25 for a gtt.

Thanks

TrixNFlix
22-03-2010, 20:19
Yeah thats ideal but, its all down to ££'s. Adeys looks good for £110, i would say a new one would be £500+.:eek: So sometimes its cost effective to take a risk :laugh:

Smokey
22-03-2010, 20:21
thanks, ill save the pennies.

SCHWARTZ
22-03-2010, 23:22
the reason these dont last as well as an after market turbo designed for high boost is down to the bearings. If im correct the tomcat has a 270 thrust bearing where as an after market turbo will have a 360 thrust, roller bearing etc...