PDA

View Full Version : RAC or AA european breakdown ??

Kris M
07-10-2008, 21:40
right folks, juat about to get some breakdown cover for the upcoming ring trip, RAC and AA are pretty much the same price, anyone got any views on which one is best ????

Thanks

Big Steve - Raider
07-10-2008, 23:37
Theyre all not worth a w-ank when you're broken down in Germany in a £500 Renault 5 Gt Turbo according to the Parkers Price Guide!!

Ask Tricky who was left stranded in the South of France in his VW Transporter camper & the RAC just got it towed to a local garage?

Still i suppose for that effort it may be worth it?

Saying that i've had it the two times i've been to the ring

Bigfoot
07-10-2008, 23:40
Trying to even get them to come out is another trouble. Lucky managed to sort out the problem when I was out there in the car park. Else it will have taken a lot of effort to sort out. Like Steve has said they look at the parkers guide for the cars value.

Mart
08-10-2008, 00:17
ADAC is who you want :agree:

Duncan Grier
08-10-2008, 10:01
Dont break down :D:D:D is the best cover ;)

As stated and I have only gone in the past on HIC Euro breakdown. You are going to be lucky to get towed home. I suspect even in the vx I would get a hard time let alone a 20 year old 5 :(:(:(:(

If you want to be sure on breakdown cover go with Marts advice and also AA/RAC etc as well.

And take the usual spares, plenty of people going who could help out if needed.

rogerreno
08-10-2008, 20:22
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

As stated and I have only gone in the past on HIC Euro breakdown. You are going to be lucky to get towed home. I suspect even in the vx I would get a hard time let alone a 20 year old 5 :(:(:(:(

I took the breakdown cover (inc Europe)out with HIC as part of my insurance on my 21 Turbo as I found out that RAC/AA etc will only recover your car to the market value as stated by Glasses guide/Parkers...so it really doesn't matter if you've got a fully restored R5 GTT or a Mint R21 Turbo thats won trophies...in the eyes of these robbing sods your cars worth about £300 :sad2:

And the worse bit of all is they'll take your money...but you'll be leaving your car behind if its terminal, this was confirmed to me by one of the sales op's for the AA :eek:

With the HIC cover its irrelavant how old it is, as they generally operate it in conjunction with an agreed value..so I can travel abroad, safe in the knowledge that if it goes tits up (and I can't repair BOB myself) I'll be getting him transported home.

Duncan, I don't think you'll have any problems with the VX....I take RAC cover when we go on holiday to France, thankfully we've not needed to call on it for the last 2 years (coz we got a nice reliable SEAT Alhambra TDI now) but when we owned the Espace 3 it broke down 2 years on the trot...IN FRANCE :cry: goddamn unreliable piece of ****e :mad:

The RAC did an amazing job both times, including forward transport and arranging repairs.

Just my take on things...but I know what i'd do!!!

Cheers guys,

Roj