PDA

View Full Version : corsa red top conversion

Smokey
17-03-2010, 21:57
my mate has just had his 2.0litre calibra conversion put into his corsa B. we just went for abit of a drive and lets just say i got smoked, iv bin giving it the big en for ages while it was being done an now feel like a t*t.

Im now in the search for more power to woop his ass im now running 14psi of boost on the T2 with a front mount intercooler.

car.crash
17-03-2010, 21:58
a friend had a corsa with a red top and a nos bottle. went like stink but handled crap. one of the worst cars i have ever driven.

J$£5GTT
17-03-2010, 22:02
just get a nova there way better than the 5's,so rare to,be a real collectors car in a yrs to come.

:cartman:

Smokey
17-03-2010, 22:09
must admit it was fast on the straight but around the big island near me he was fading and once i got in front an got the power down first he wernt catchin me.

Still wouldnt swap it for the five tho its a chav mo-biele

J8TRO
17-03-2010, 22:14
Matt, sure it wasn't your bad driving? :cooter:

I wouldn't come on here saying I got burnt by a redtop corsa unless it was a LET. Also second the comment that it would handle like a jelly

dangerous dave
17-03-2010, 22:31
A nicely set up 5 on a t2 might see him off the mark, but it's not gonna be that way for long.. Even a t2/25 pulls harder up the rev range unlike the stanard turbo. You could go bigger but lag isn't that much fun day to day. :(

Tony Walker
17-03-2010, 22:38
lag is fun every day :D

5alldaway
17-03-2010, 22:47
its only 150bhp corsa, its nowt special, unless it has da boost

how about reverting to a standard strapped intercooler

atecautos
17-03-2010, 23:16
used 2 race my mates nova redtop, beat him of the lights all the time ( running 16 psi) until he stopped spinning in third gear :cry:.

LampsR5
17-03-2010, 23:33
tbh a t2 is small turbo tho mate , and 14 psi still isnt that much.

turbo'd corsas are the ones to beat, it would have been a good close race between my 5 and my m8s turbo'd corsa (he smashed it up).

As for redtops........they are **** wasted them in my 106 xsi with the gti conversion :wasntme:

5alldaway
17-03-2010, 23:43
to be honest i dont know what all the rage is with these redtops, mi16 engines make more power with lower capacity 1.9

benj88
18-03-2010, 00:03

I wouldn't come on here saying I got burnt by a redtop corsa unless it was a LET. Also second the comment that it would handle like a jelly

:agree:

tiff_lee
18-03-2010, 00:04
I suppose its just a common conversion thanks to their reliability and tuning potential, its not as if they're anything new being about 20 years old.

I think its a bit harsh to go as far to say red tops are crap especially if its a LET.

LampsR5
18-03-2010, 00:18
Matt what colour is this Corsa will keep an eye out theres always loads of vauxhalls running around by us..... you really do need to change the t2 they are great round the streets but have no top end grunt, they go to sleep after 4000rpm, :)

benj88
18-03-2010, 00:45
Red tops are good iv had 2 myself, nova and tigra, the tigra had a 4branch and a cam it was decent, but the let's are the boys! Sayin that tho sometimes the xe's do better 1/4 mile cos they grip the let's just spin for fun

Smokey
18-03-2010, 06:58
its a purple one with the old astra GTE rims standard as you like but with a big exhaust it sounds like a tractor and aparantly was running 170bhp before it got taken out to be put in the corsa.

Im thinking T25 with the 285 piper cam wen iv got some money. Any suggestions on that.

And also why return to a standard intercooler thought the front mount would be better.

Smokey
18-03-2010, 08:05

Thanks James my drivings not that bad surely we only nearly totalled the car on that one road :rolleyes:, it was all under control really but tbf its fast an theres nothing i could do.

im on the hunt for more power now tho ill ge him back.

sphinX
18-03-2010, 09:24
Ha those red top corsa's... used to think they were pretty quick back in the day when I was driving 1.1's!

Funnily enough my 1st off the lights race was with a red top turbo'd corsa :) and the 5 hasn't stopped making me smile ever since.

sphinX
18-03-2010, 09:25
its a purple one with the old astra GTE rims standard as you like but with a big exhaust it sounds like a tractor and aparantly was running 170bhp before it got taken out to be put in the corsa.

Im thinking T25 with the 285 piper cam wen iv got some money. Any suggestions on that.

And also why return to a standard intercooler thought the front mount would be better.

Get the bigger turbo and cam on and it will be :)

5alldaway
18-03-2010, 11:37
Get the bigger turbo and cam on and it will be :)

in reality a healthy gtt running a bar with some ignition advance should deal with a red top corsa

a few years back i was up behind a astra gte and he really wanted to test his car out(on a private road of course) anyway i was running a bar on my lag central t28/t3 and i was pretty much glued to his rear bumper, i was so close i could see his teeth in his rear view mirror :)

MADFIVE
18-03-2010, 12:54
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

theres a redtop corsa that runs around leicester and he tryed to have ago at my 5 on the a46 let him pass then put my foot down and went by him like he was standing still. lol :laugh: seen him that nigth and he wanted to see what i had done to the car? i was running 16psi on low boost on a t3/28 with steel pis/liners piper285 fast road cam set up one off race carb front mount and a stage 6 race head. i have done a lot more work on the car since then. i still see him alot but he never goes up my ar*s anymore. :D that will teach him. :laugh:

Smokey
18-03-2010, 13:09
hes been gloating real bad since but iv kept my cool and just said wait about 3 month so i can raise the cash and we will go again, i ent getting done over by that shed.

Blick
18-03-2010, 13:17
dont take many mods on a 5 to smoke a red top corsa..... i destroyed a lad by me on the local dual track!!!! only nova thats had the beating of me was a lad with a 2.0 turbo.... fair to say that smoked along abit. at the time i was only runnin standard boost, my actuator was on its last legs!!! by the wknd i`d ordered a t3 and put it back up to 16psi. happy days! :agree:

LampsR5
18-03-2010, 15:12
hes been gloating real bad since but iv kept my cool and just said wait about 3 month so i can raise the cash and we will go again, i ent getting done over by that shed.

lamps ere not dan, tell your mate to put his log book on the line and ill race him

markey b
18-03-2010, 15:51
i've said in a previous thread, but my bro had a xe'd corsa before his 5.. cost him thousands and thousands, had SBD throttle bodies, DTA management, 2.1 pistons, flowed coscast head, posh cams etc, made 250bhp and would rev to 8k, was an absolute weapon so so quick, would go off the speed and revcounter clocks easily, but it was so unreliable as it was so highly strung he got shot.

tiff_lee
18-03-2010, 16:07
i've said in a previous thread, but my bro had a xe'd corsa before his 5.. cost him thousands and thousands, had SBD throttle bodies, DTA management, 2.1 pistons, flowed coscast head, posh cams etc, made 250bhp and would rev to 8k, was an absolute weapon so so quick, would go off the speed and revcounter clocks easily, but it was so unreliable as it was so highly strung he got shot.
My mate has an astra track car which is nigh on 400 brake and has cost him well over 16k it spends more time in bits then it does on the track.

5alldaway
18-03-2010, 16:11

lol you have a nice mate there dont you :sad2:

stevo clio
18-03-2010, 18:01
i also have one of the xe engines get rebuilt ready to go into a corsa along side my clio at the minute :). have been told they are good for 13second quaters give or take. supposed to respond really well to tb's and are very easy to make into a let- then (with the money of course) look to around 500bhp if wanted. one of my friends has one and it can light tires in 5th do 70 mph :eek: but as said they are seriously heavy on the fromt end when they are fitted! the gtt engine is so much lighter :)

markey b
18-03-2010, 18:41
when my bro got his car it was converted from a 1.0 to a 2.0, had a pod slip for a 14.9 and we got it rr'd soon after and it was 161bhp* with a std smokey engine and power cap. apparently it had a boot full of 'ice' when it did that

it was an absolute weapon after my bro redid everything cossvaux messed up, but it never made it to the pod as it cost so much to build and was so fragile

just found some youtube vids of it..

standard XE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JgmSKRR0uA&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVN3e479UMw&feature=channel

on throttle bodies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB-6RR8Sd4Y&feature=channel

* dyno figures... take as you will

Brigsy
18-03-2010, 18:50
Xe'd corsa's are nowt in std form, in my old white gtt i used to see them off with 14lb boost. On the twisties theres no way they can keep up:D

Let is a different animal though, awesome engine.

Shane P
18-03-2010, 20:16
Xe'd corsa's are nowt in std form, in my old white gtt i used to see them off with 14lb boost. On the twisties theres no way they can keep up:D

Let is a different animal though, awesome engine.

A 150hp Corsa would just be like a Williams Clio wouldnt it? Minus the handling of course :) Getting smoked by one of them would be pathetic :D

LampsR5
18-03-2010, 20:31
A 150hp Corsa would just be like a Williams Clio wouldnt it? Minus the handling of course :) Getting smoked by one of them would be pathetic :D

your right in saying that but my williams did a 15.1 sqm completely standard nothing done to it what so ever and my mates 5 did exactly the same running a bar of boost the williams are really good cars.

i absolutely destroyed and astra gte 16v last summer by me thats one of them red tops aint it? but i am using a t3 with a 285cam

Matt at the end of the day your mates drivin a girls car, the 5 has millions more street credability with people
it wont be long till you sort him out, you might just need the carb settin up a bit now you have turned the boost up you will probably find this helps a lot. get the t2 ditched

Shane P
18-03-2010, 21:03
i absolutely destroyed and astra gte 16v last summer by me thats one of them red tops aint it?

Thats the one, not to be confused with the Eco-wreck engine, my mechanic friend has one on mild cams, LSD and throttle bodies. You can get non cat versions as well, which give you an extra 6 hp :D

Some of them suffer from a funny problem with the head, namely you corner way too hard and oil gets trapped on top of a certain plate, which i dont know the name of, and the car ends up smoking its tits off as if you have just blown something. You have to drill/modify this plate to solve the problem, i've got pics of it all if you get bored :)

jesus in the seat of a 5
18-03-2010, 21:10
Does anyone else find this post rather gay.... i smoked this and i smoked that , all on public roads ...:laugh:, its a good advertisement for the club for sure, i think maybe im getting really old....:laugh: it just i cant get my head around it, maybe you lot need to get out on a track before someone get injured etc or loses their liscence....;), sorry , old git rant over....:coffee:....:dearme:

Spooky
18-03-2010, 21:13
smoke? you'd have loved the burnout in front of my house a couple of weeks ago...the evidence is still on the tarmac :laugh:

Adey aka Ewok
18-03-2010, 21:32
Defo b J, I think since I've driven on track I've defo tamed down on the roads, that and I hit 19 and stopped thinking cruises and subs were cool, keep it on the track and keep ure licence

Kris M
18-03-2010, 21:33

Smokey
19-03-2010, 08:14
we wernt speeding tho, we went on a national speed limit dual carriage way and 0-70 was enough to see he has more power, so there was no reckless driving involved we just wanted to get on a big open strecth to see how his new car went we didnt break any laws and returned home safetly to put our cars to bed so how this could be bad publicity i dont know.

LampsR5
19-03-2010, 08:44
Does anyone else find this post rather gay.... i smoked this and i smoked that , all on public roads ...:laugh:, its a good advertisement for the club for sure, i think maybe im getting really old....:laugh: it just i cant get my head around it, maybe you lot need to get out on a track before someone get injured etc or loses their liscence....;), sorry , old git rant over....:coffee:....:dearme:

thats fair enough but why doesnt everyone drive round in electric cars if you can only do 30mph everywhere you cant tell me you or anyone else only put their foot down on a track?? im not saying about driving like an idiot because i dont agree with that either think people may be getting the wrong perceptions from this thread.:)

LampsR5
19-03-2010, 08:45
:laugh:
smoke? you'd have loved the burnout in front of my house a couple of weeks ago...the evidence is still on the tarmac

:laugh::smokin:

jesus in the seat of a 5
19-03-2010, 18:21
thats fair enough but why doesnt everyone drive round in electric cars if you can only do 30mph everywhere you cant tell me you or anyone else only put their foot down on a track?? im not saying about driving like an idiot because i dont agree with that either think people may be getting the wrong perceptions from this thread.:)

lamps ere not dan, tell your mate to put his log book on the line and ill race him, off course , totally the wrong perceptions...:laugh:, just my take on how it reads all of it, think im gonna put a list of cars on my profile that ive beaten to date too...;), look dont get all upset , it just how i see it , im entitled to my point of view , i even did it in a humorous way, kinda , what with the icons etc , im just getting a wee bit feed up also of some of threads on here at the mo that are making us sound like a right bunch of chavs without us realising it, please refrain from a reply, unless its constructive and honest, i didnt mean to offend...:coffee:

Mart
19-03-2010, 18:24
It's the not-so-new-now tedium mate.

jesus in the seat of a 5
19-03-2010, 18:31
It's the not-so-new-now tedium mate.

:agree:, see, im not alone, cheers mart , i know jesus is an old fart but i thought i was going mad, glad others feel the same..maybe im not barmy just yet.....:scratch:..;)

J$£5GTT
19-03-2010, 18:45
agree racing on public roads reads 'danger',take it to the track..

unless its just you an your machine and an open carriage way hey!!

how fast in the clio matt...151 mph was it??....you got a dodgy speedo!!!
eather that or you were wearin you super speedo pants...:cooter:

:cooter::laugh::D:p

jesus in the seat of a 5
19-03-2010, 18:49
agree racing on public roads reads 'danger',take it to the track..

unless its just you an your machine and an open carriage way hey!!

how fast in the clio matt...151 mph was it??

:cooter::laugh::D:p

more like 15mph in 60mph , im the coffin dodger with the national trust sticker , you all get desperate to overtake....:laugh:, seriously , please lets all move on...:)

sphinX
20-03-2010, 00:12
If people want to race on public roads leave em to it...end of the day they will either learn from their mistake one way or another. Hopefully not endagering someone elses life.

But the way I have been brought up is that you can drive "quick" when it is safe to do so, some may argue that it is never safe but you can only be your own judge.

Slim
20-03-2010, 00:19
shhhh dont say that!

just to testify.. no one in this club agrees with this gentlemen, We all abide by the laws and road rules :)

sphinX
20-03-2010, 00:25
I never said anything about breaking the law? :disagree:

Spooky
20-03-2010, 00:28
I never said anything about breaking the law? :disagree:
i think its safe to say people do this quite regularly in terms of the posted speed limits unintentional or not...:p...

benj88
20-03-2010, 09:34
70mph is the speed limit, but there's no law on how quick you get to it? I usualy boost up the slip roads and steady cest after

HAndy
20-03-2010, 19:14
70mph is the speed limit, but there's no law on how quick you get to it? I usualy boost up the slip roads and steady cest after

:scared:erm... driving with undue care and attention is what they will book you with;)
been there before you ask :D

benj88
21-03-2010, 00:09
:scared:erm... driving with undue care and attention is what they will book you with;)
been there before you ask :D

Lol orite yeh.. My mate got 3points for that, the copper said "congatulations that's the worst piece of driving iv seen uv just earnd yourself 3 points!!"

ollie j
21-03-2010, 19:42
Couple of pictures of my mates old nova. Im not normaly a fan of nova's at all but i liked this one. Had a red top lump in it, quite alot of work was done to it and it ran r1 bike carbs. It produced 181bhp, was very quick. Best thing about it were the wheels 14x8 borbet t's.