PDA

View Full Version : Q's and A's on the volvo

dave r5
17-03-2010, 12:37
hey all

im having a rather hard time with this stoopid engine,
so i have a few questions and querys.

firstly i know its a renault block, but whats the renault engine code.
cometiks dont do a head gasket for a b18 ft so mayb they do 1 for it in renault form. would this work?

ive sourced some head bolts, 12.9 tensile.
this will help with the head lift, but how tight do i go? 75 ft/lb?

Q for scoff, how much is a lot when talking ignition at the top of the rev range.
ive bin told mines at about 11 degrees but can confirm this tomorow when i pull my map from the ecu as my laptop came back yesterday.
ill send it over if you still want a look at it.

how have ppl in the past plumed in the water system?
mine has no heater matrix!

what rad can i use, is it a r21 or an extra van rad i forget, as curently im using a standard 1.

im using a standard volvo box wich is the m59.
through experiance what have people found better. this or the gt turbo, as after droping the oil i found it verry metalik.

sorry for long post, im just loosing patience, and silverstone is 3 weeks and 2 days away and i want to take her out:cry::cry::cry::cry:

sieger
17-03-2010, 13:30
the cooling

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/9025/koeling.jpg

I have an volvo 240 2.3 rad installed, only problem is that you have to make something up for the thermoswits
http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/489/img1691r.jpg

Ow and the renault engine code is F2N

Markey Mark (BD)
17-03-2010, 17:27
I'm using a Renault 19 16v rad in mine mate, fits quite well in there too.

I've plumbed mine up like a standard Volvo 480 as my turbo doesn't have water cooling to it, still kept heater matrix though. Its just a case of looping the pipe really if your not using it so it continues the flow round.

How much did those head bolts come to mate, may be interested in a set. ;)

dave r5
18-03-2010, 16:55
sweet may try an get 1 of those rads then
any 1 have a spare?

the head bolts work out at £2.50 each bolt
im yet to order them tbh just gota make a fone call an its done.

Haz
18-03-2010, 22:31
got a few new volvo head gaskets, some slight oxidization on a couple here an there but cleans up with wire wool, drop me a txt.

i torque my bolts to around 73-80 nm depending on the day.

any pics of ya water system? so long as all the pipes are the same temp its should be workin fine, i've done them in various ways

for simplicity a gtt rad is the best, with oil sandwich plate for better than std cooling. 480t volvo rad, clio 16v, clioi/extra/5 diesel rad all work fine to

im using a standard volvo m59, as with anyone elses i've done. think it feels alot more precise than a gtt. have had a few that has ended up with metallic bits in, one the end cap was dented in rubbin on the end gear and the other was the one that was originally fitted to mine with the engine at 130,000miles, bout 20k racked up of hard abuse inc lots of pod visits, gradually increased in whine as the diff was on the way out.

just call if ya stuck :)