PDA

View Full Version : Fuel issues......

Big Steve - Raider
16-03-2010, 16:07
Right gents, after a winters storage in my garage I've had my 5 out a couple of times now & both times it's played up.

First time I took it out & filled it up with some Sainsburys Super Unleaded. Then drove down the road & after giving it a bit of a bootfull it started hesitating & misfiring like buggery?

I limped home and proceeded to pull the carb apart & found this black sludgy liquid in the carb bowl? I cleared it out & the car ran fine. I thought it was just a bit of scum that had grew in the carb as I stored the car over winter. Went for another run & it was fine.

Or so I thought?

Went to the ace cafe last night and on the way home had a little bit of a spirited drive with another car and the car started hessitating & buggering about again & it was a bit of a game getting home!

Is this just a case of a carb refurb & a new fuel filter or should I be considering something else? Additional online fuel filter perhaps??

The fuel filter isn't old which made me wonder if the petrol was duff??

Alastair
16-03-2010, 17:22
Black sludge sounds like Sulphide Reducing Bacteria that grows on the fuel water interface in fuel tanks that are left uncirculated for long periods. Your fuel filter should stop almost all of this, try changing the filter and cleaning your carb out again - don't forget to drain the filter to FPR fuel line too;) and the gauze on the carb inlet.

If it doesn't get any better you might need to clean all your fuel system out... whip off your tank, clean the inside as best you can. I also understand there is an additional filter/gauze at the base of the fuel pickup within the tank. Blow through your hoses with an airline and clean the carb again.... And repeat for the aux tank.... Good luck with it mate :)

Matt Cole
16-03-2010, 19:57
Fuel generally christilyses when old and may cause blockages. Just fill it up and keep driving. Hopefully it will clear.

Brigsy
16-03-2010, 20:04
Change the fuel filter & keep topping the fuel up mate. Kris m's cup car suffers from this same problem, it will clear with a couple of tanks.

Kris M
16-03-2010, 21:27
Change the fuel filter & keep topping the fuel up mate. Kris m's cup car suffers from this same problem, it will clear with a couple of tanks.

:agree:

Rob@Backyardracing
16-03-2010, 21:28
Id fit a small inline fuel filter to the carb aswell for now untill its cleared.. They cost pennys and will save you having to keep cleaning the carb...

Big Steve - Raider
21-03-2010, 09:32
Id fit a small inline fuel filter to the carb aswell for now untill its cleared.. They cost pennys and will save you having to keep cleaning the carb...

I did think about doing this? I'll give it a try thanks!! :niceone:

Big Steve - Raider
03-04-2010, 12:44
Stripped the carb down yesterday and found a load of sludgy light brown residue in the back of the bowl fill valve that has today dried out to be a hard scummy substance?!