PDA

View Full Version : Breaking in a new cam.

Brigsy
16-03-2010, 13:04
Fitting a new cam to the van, i understand as the c1j is flat tappet it will need a 20 min 2k rpm break in.

Do i need to use mineral oil whilst breaking in? Im planning on butchering an old dizzy drive to prime the oil pump before first fire up, is this necessary or overkill :coffee:

Iam also using the cam followers that are fitted to the engine currently, the engine sounded great when running before removal, is it worth pulling the head off to check the followers?

They were in good nick when i fitted the dd cam, just frightened im gonna feck the lot up & make an expensive mistake.:cartman:

Mart
16-03-2010, 13:35
I've never used mineral oil for bedding in a cam (even on the Evo), and all was/is good.

It's always a case of Russian roulette with cam followers. Apart from Sparkie (I think it was) with his high lift, aggressive-ramped cams of old, I don't know anyone else who's ever suffered with a holed/faulty follower, so chances are you'll be fine with what's already in situ.

markey b
16-03-2010, 14:53
isn't it a good idea to use new cam with new followers, used cam with used followers.. i heard something about the used parts will be tempered with the heat so will wear the new part prematurely, maybe this is an old wives tale i dont know?!

Brigsy
16-03-2010, 18:28
Think ill just risk it on the followers currently fitted, new ones are just too expensive!

Would it hurt to use cheapo oil for the break in, ill drop it & put the good stuff in after initial run in.

Mart
16-03-2010, 19:33
Hello?

jesus in the seat of a 5
16-03-2010, 19:34
Hello?

:laugh:..i knew you were old like but....... hearing aid...:wasntme:

Matt Cole
16-03-2010, 19:44
As long as the follwers aint gone concave, then it should be ok. Its hotspots that kill the cam lobes, so i used graphogen to bed the lot in.

Spooky
16-03-2010, 19:47
As long as the follwers aint gone concave, then it should be ok. Its hotspots that kill the cam lobes, so i used graphogen to bed the lot in.

graphogen :agree::agree::agree: