PDA

View Full Version : megane sport Help!!!!

Maka
15-03-2010, 23:25
so i brought myself a 5 year old trophy megane sport.
lovely motor.
bit of accident damage here and there, nothing a lick of paint cant fix.

but driving home one night (two weeks after purchase)
the car begin to misfire.
RAC pops out and plugs in his diagnostic tool. cylinder 4 is miss firing.
so changed the plug and it still does it.

there is neat petrol firing out the exhaust!

i have had this at a few diagnostic places and and now finally at renault.
renault themselves are a bunch of idiots.
rang me at work to say the turbo had gone as there was lots of smoke.
to which i pointed out did u read the notes with the car? there is neat fuel in the exhaust..hope my cat isnt damaged.
this caused panic and they have rolled the car out of their workshop and into the service yard for it to rot!
plus the renault engineer or whatever they are called didnt know if the cylinder futhest from the gearbox is nr 1 or nr 4!!!!

can an injector stick open and allow fuel to just pour straight through?
would this be anything to do with the car hitting the cold limiter by accident! (i didnt know the car had one)
could it be a turbo?
valve stuck?

or as one diagnostic place told me..it has to go to renault only as it looks and sounds like a software error!!

save me someone before renault give me a bill for £100 an hour, a broken car and a fooked cat convertor!

its been off the road now 3 weeks.

at least the R5 keeps going and gets me to work!

thank you

Mart
15-03-2010, 23:26
Might be the coilpack.

Miller
15-03-2010, 23:34
Might be the coilpack.

:agree:
That would be the first thing i would be checking.:)

Rob@Backyardracing
15-03-2010, 23:48
I Second the coil pack, have you any fault codes from diagnostic other than miss fire?

Scoff
15-03-2010, 23:59
they are coil on plug, no ? worth trying a spare (don't go buying one new just to prove the theory!) but neat fuel out of the exhaust is a bit random. there wouldn't be enough fuel to notice at the tail pipe at idle from a correctly firing injector, IE the amount of fuel is tiny, so if you can visably see fuel then either that injector is stuck on or it's not all fuel you're seeing!

Ashy
16-03-2010, 06:25
I Second the coil pack, have you any fault codes from diagnostic other than miss fire?

Coil pack for sure, they are coil on plug so just whip the engine cover off and fire the engine up. you can then just unplug one coil at a time (its safe to do so with the engine running) until you find which one it is.

Very common problem with this type of coil, had the same issue on my V6, over the space of 2 years I replaced 5 of the 6 coils!!

mike r5 gtt
16-03-2010, 18:28
renaults are backwards to most engines so 1 is 4 and 4 is one :sad2:.coils are where id look first but dont unplug them at the top of the coils as there are wired up in pairs, instead unplug the injectors one by one and see which cylinder/coil it is.
injectors arent uncommon on these either but shouldnt be that much that it drops out the back:eek:

Maka
19-03-2010, 19:35
plug was checked by the RAC guy...he had a spare one!!!!!!
how odd

Ended up being an injector!
had to have an oil change, filter, new injector, four new plugs and oil treatment.

renault tried to tell me it needed a new cat and they could replace it for £890!! (thats just the part)

£450 to put the car right.
knew i shouldnt of taken it to the main dealer.
if the cats tanked i may have to invest in a sport cat.

but on the plus side the R5 has been running a dream past few weeks the meganes been dead. carb freeze in a morning, but nothing the car mat cant fix.

andyrg
21-04-2010, 22:42
I have 4 x Coil packs and 1 x Cat for a 225 megane if you require them as spares.,