PDA

View Full Version : doors help changing pins and torx

philg
15-03-2010, 17:54
I have had mayor headaches with the locks on my car, so i have found a full campus shell on a f plate that is in good nick so I'm going to be taking off some bits, really want the car for the doors.

What happens if the doors on the campus are the pins and not the torx?

Obviously then there will be no thread on the door, is that right?

Does this mean you can not fit earlier doors onto a later cars with the torx style pins?

phil

modfather
15-03-2010, 18:05
my 5 gts got torx bolts :brickwall: bloody things

Brigsy
15-03-2010, 18:17
I imagine they will go on without too much hassle mate, as the hinge is different on the doors & part on the car is the same?

You will need to use the pins that match the door unless you chop & change bits.

philg
15-03-2010, 18:23
I imagine they will go on without too much hassle mate, as the hinge is different on the doors & part on the car is the same?

You will need to use the pins that match the door unless you chop & change bits.

I thought that, the doors i have at the mo, have the torx fitted, they have the threaded part on the door. If the campus doors are the pin type then there is no thread on the hinges.

I think the people who convert from pins to torx have to drill out the hinge part on the car, so therefore if the campus doors are pins then my cars hinges are going to be to big to take the pins, if you get my drift.

phil

philg
15-03-2010, 18:24
The car is a f plate, when did they change to torx?

phil

Brigsy
15-03-2010, 18:25
Either shim the hinges on the car to suit or drill the hinges on the door for bigger roll pins :agree:

philg
15-03-2010, 18:31
Either shim the hinges on the car to suit or drill the hinges on the door for bigger roll pins :agree:

I get you, whats the best option, i would think putting a shim in the hinge, rather than drilling the door. I then would fit standard old type pins with the shim in place, correct?

modfather
15-03-2010, 18:57
i had trox bolts in mine but replacing pass door which has got pins so i took the sleeves out of the hinge on the car and the door fits no problem :)

Schakal
15-03-2010, 22:18
being a campus it is more likely to be torx tbh .
my e reg renault 9 has got torx .

philg
16-03-2010, 09:03
i had trox bolts in mine but replacing pass door which has got pins so i took the sleeves out of the hinge on the car and the door fits no problem :)

Can you explain a bit better sorry, i don't understand. If you fitted back in pins you would have to put a shim in the hinge on the shell as the hole is larger. To put torx pins back in the door hinge needs a thread to tighten up the bolts.

I hope it has the torxs, easier to fit and to replace, i plan on keeping the car and don't fancy replacing them again after 4-5 years.

modfather
16-03-2010, 10:11
ok my original 5 gts doors had trox bolts and im changing the passinger door as mine bit beaten up and the door that i will be useing has got pins in but didnt fit straight on so had to take out the droopy door sleeve bits fitted in the hinge on the car as the sleeve over laps the hinge by about 2-3mm top and bottom after taking them out the door fitted on no probs havent got to putting any bolts back in yet as i got to put them on with the doors open because of the body kit i got i will try and sort out some pics in a bit :)

modfather
16-03-2010, 10:36
ok heres the pics the 1st 1 has got the sleeve in the hinge the 2nd has got it removed sorry that the pics are a bit poor quality hope this helps :)

just added pics of the sleeves that was in the hinge on the car now what i may do is cut the tops off those sleeves so then they can sit flush with the hinge without the over lap on the top and bottom of the hinge as shown in the 1st pic and hopeing that i can then use the pins instead of the torx bolts :)

philg
16-03-2010, 12:16
So by fitting the brass hats on the hinge, that makes the size of the hole on the hinges smaller. Does that make it the right size to take the pins then?

I suppose its the same way as fitting a shim into the hinge.

phil

modfather
16-03-2010, 13:07
i dont know if the pins fit in with the sleeves i havent got that far yet and havent got any pins yet iva :wasntme::wasntme:
i just been looking though the bits i got and found loads of those sleeves so if you or any1 else needs any let me know set of 4 for £2.50 posted

NayJ
16-03-2010, 17:19
ive just picked up a set of torx door pins and sleves and found out my doors have the split pins, how easy/hard is it to change over and is it worth doin or just keep the split pin setup, theres loads of threads on this at the mo and didnt wana start my own as your already on the topic;)

modfather
16-03-2010, 20:28
if i had the choice i would leave them as pins

philg
16-03-2010, 20:45
Do the pins not were out quicker and cause more wearing on the hinge.

Me if i can i want the tor bits back in mine, dead easy to take out, if the doors drop again 20 minute job to fix.

What are other peoples views, torx or pins?

phil

modfather
16-03-2010, 20:55
Do the pins not were out quicker and cause more wearing on the hinge.

Me if i can i want the tor bits back in mine, dead easy to take out, if the doors drop again 20 minute job to fix.

What are other peoples views, torx or pins?

phil

least with the pins you dont have to worry about them rounding off :laugh:

philg
16-03-2010, 21:03
If i remember, the top goes in from the bottom and the bottom torx goes in from the top of the hinge, i think.

If i use the pin type doors im going to change the hinges over from my torx doors, job done.

I read a thread that you can drill them out buy a hinge kits and screw the new hinges on. Should not be to hard to fabricate something.

phil

philg
31-03-2010, 20:02
Right i have changed my doors over today.

Anyone looking to do there pins or torx, the pins are alot harder to do, torx were out in 10 mins, i spent 1hr smashing like a mad man to get the pins out :(, the back of the campus doors are a bit marked to. There getting painted but anyone just looking to do a pin change beware it gets a bit messy.

I'm going to try and tap the hinge to give it a thread so i can use the torx on the doors.

Failing that its a sleeve for the body hinge and sleeve in the door hinge, a bolt through them with a lock nut on them, no way am i fitting pins back in this car :mad:

phil

Tinka_Dill
01-04-2010, 19:20
I strongly urge anyone that's planning to do this job and has pins not torx to get their hands on a Draper door pin removeal tool. I changed the pins recently on my 5 and it made the job a piece of piddle rather than a massive ball ache. You can get the tool on eBay for around 12 quid or so.

philg
06-04-2010, 19:26
Right i have been having a good old think about this one.

The shell has a torx hinge and have a 8ml hole

The pin type have a 7ml hole on body hinge and door hinge

The torx type hinge on door have a 6ml with a thread at one end.

Option 1 is to drill my 7ml door hinge (pin type) out to 8 ml and fit a 8ml bolt and nylock, my mate has done this exact method and works great. Problem is for how long, i think the hinges will were before the bolt. Then you are screwed.

Option 2 fit brass hats to the shell hinge, tap the door hinge from 7ml to take the torx bolt, and fit a shim at the other side to take the 6ml torx bolt. Im not sure if you could get a shim that would only be 0.5 ml thick

Option 3 put a shim in the shell taking the hole down to 7ml to match the door and fit new 7ml pins or a 7ml bolt and nylock.

Option 4 fit brass hats to the shell and drill the whole door hinge out to 8ml, fit another brass hat top and bottom and fit a 6ml bolt and nylock right through the whole thing.

What do you reckon chaps, i think option 2 or 4, therefore no were on shell hing or door hinge.

Brigsy
06-04-2010, 20:30
You could always chop the hinge off the new doors & fit the bolt on replacements to convert to torx mate, might be easier!

philg
07-04-2010, 08:34
You could always chop the hinge off the new doors & fit the bolt on replacements to convert to torx mate, might be easier!

I think the kits are about £35 each.

I have seen the other thread where someone removed the hinge with a dremel, that is an option and just re-weld the hinges back on.

phil