PDA

View Full Version : Oil catch tank fitment

JRP
13-03-2010, 20:06
How is the best way for me to connect up this tank i have ? hoses config etc ?

any help welcome.

Rob@Backyardracing
13-03-2010, 20:12
Is there only two ports? if so one will have to breath out, the other id pipe from the rocker.. Id turn the 90deg elbow up and fit a breather to that..:)

Ian S
13-03-2010, 20:20
The breather will be on the top won't it? The screw cap?

JRP
13-03-2010, 20:23
Thanks ian/rob. Its the one in the pic, so one would be the in from rocker, other would be a small breather filter or the like ?

TrixNFlix
13-03-2010, 20:26
Have you blocked off the outlet from the sump or did you not have an outlet there to start with john?

Ian S
13-03-2010, 20:29
With mine I left the swirl pot in place and the rest of the hoses and just took the last hose out of the 'telephone hose' and took it instead to the catch tank.

that way the manifold still sucks a negative pressure into the crank case to lessen oil weeping past the crank seals and maybe valve guides.

The other inlet could be connected to another inlet you make in your sump if you're using high boost and have more gas blow past the piston rings. That would defeat the OE oil pipe set up so you may as well bin that in this case and from that tanks bottom bung you might need to take an oil drain back to the sump to prevent the tank overflowing.

JRP
13-03-2010, 20:29
Have you blocked off the outlet from the sump or did you not have an outlet there to start with john?

The outlet has not been blocked off, i will do that then remove breather pot. so its just straight out rocker and in?

Ohhhh my i bought those nice green hoses and barley using them hehe such is life:laugh:

JRP
13-03-2010, 20:31
With mine I left the swirl pot in place and the rest of the hoses and just took the last hose out of the 'telephone hose' and took it instead to the catch tank.

that way the manifold still sucks a negative pressure into the crank case to lessen oil weeping past the crank seals and maybe valve guides.

The other inlet could be connected to another inlet you make in your sump if you're using high boost and have more gas blow past the piston rings. That would defeat the OE oil pipe set up so you may as well bin that in this case and from that tanks bottom bung you might need to take an oil drain back to the sump to prevent the tank overflowing.

Brilliant thanks ian :) using the bottom of it use it as a drain back :agree: sure i can plumb it up :)

Rob@Backyardracing
13-03-2010, 20:32
The sump (outlet) is a return for oil traces from the OE breather, you could leave that open... or weld a pipe to the breather base (use the empty) and pipe it to the sump..

JRP
13-03-2010, 20:33
Think im getting confused :):cry:

TrixNFlix
13-03-2010, 20:43
Or you could have your rocker cover breather to the side of the canister behind the water pump, the sump outlet and pipe would be in the bottom of the canister (same as the oe setup) and the top outlet on the canister could be piped to one of your catch tank outlets. The other catch tank outlet would be vented via a pipe or a filter, :) Almost the same as robs idea.

dave j gtt
13-03-2010, 21:24
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=4990 at the bottem is how i put mine on , the pipe that gose to "phone hose" still gose there via catch tank.

to how much use i have no idea.

James5
13-03-2010, 22:29
John when I am next up we can fit it and plumb it matey it's a piece if piss :)

JRP
13-03-2010, 22:30
John when I am next up we can fit it and plumb it matey it's a piece if piss :)

Will ylu ever be allowed out again after thursday ?

James5
13-03-2010, 22:33
Will ylu ever be allowed out again after thursday ?

Shhh don't ever mention it I am in the dog house at the mo but working on it :)

JRP
13-03-2010, 22:35
love you james