View Full Version : Back on the Road

captain haddock
10-03-2010, 15:30
Big thanks to Kris, who came over and gave the old girl the once over yesterday. After a bit of tinkering we had her running again. After 10 years in the garage, a great result I think!!

Next a good service and see where we go from there.:D

thanks for the other replies to my original post

capt haddock

First post!

Hi all, new member here!!!
I've got a 5 in my garage, that I want to get back on the road. Thought this would be the best place to start. Can anyone recommend a decent garage/mechanic in the Swindon/Oxford area. Its a pretty standard 86 E. Don't want it to be the fastest thing in the world. Just running and sound and back on the road.
capt haddock

J$£5GTT
10-03-2010, 15:33
ahoy captain welcome to the rtoc !..:cool:
whats the condition of the car have you an idea of what work it needs doing?
just a general service?

:)

pirate J..:p

captain haddock
10-03-2010, 15:44
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

I'm sure it'll be more than a service. Its been stood for approx 4 years!!

Bodywork is good, front seats are shot
Mechanically not so sure. What I can remember from the last time i drove it. It ran a bit hot, the speedo wasn't working. I spose first thing would be to give it a once over and take it from there.

History goes, bought it, drove it for a year, wiring loom burnt out (fixed) someone tried to nick it, got given a company car, been in the garage waiting while I've got some money together!!

IANMM
11-03-2010, 08:47
try not to send it to a garage yo will get shafted......try to see if a local member or members can sort you out

ian

bye_all_c_ya
11-03-2010, 08:57
as above or get a manual and a tool kit and start your self and get help as needed of the site :)

modfather
11-03-2010, 09:07
as above or get a manual and a tool kit and start your self and get help as needed of the site :)

i got a spare manual if you want it

DaveMayGTT
11-03-2010, 12:20
Sounds like a service and a flush of the rad/coolant and give it a try.

Markey Mark (BD)
11-03-2010, 15:55
Alright mate, if you get stuck i'm not a million miles away from Oxford i live in Aylesbury, more than happy to give your 5 the once over if you like.

Kris M
11-03-2010, 19:53
Ahoy captain :D

Im in Swindon, i dont mind giving your 5 a going over aswell :)

Spooky
11-03-2010, 20:19
You need to visit the PMT SW HQ :smokin: :agree:

firstchoicegary
11-03-2010, 20:23
i would trust these guys they all know a hell of alot if some one willing to have a look im sure they know more than renault do

captain haddock
12-04-2010, 17:40
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Big thanks to Kris, who came over and gave the old girl the once over yesterday. After a bit of tinkering we had her running again. After 10 years in the garage, a great result I think!!

Next a good service and see where we go from there.:D

thanks for the other replies to my original post

capt haddock

First post!

Hi all, new member here!!!
I've got a 5 in my garage, that I want to get back on the road. Thought this would be the best place to start. Can anyone recommend a decent garage/mechanic in the Swindon/Oxford area. Its a pretty standard 86 E. Don't want it to be the fastest thing in the world. Just running and sound and back on the road.
capt haddock[/quote]

Brigsy
12-04-2010, 17:42
Good work! get some pics up:)

Big Steve - Raider
12-04-2010, 17:47
Ahoy There Me Hearty!! http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn259/BigSteveT/Captain_Birds_Eye_196371a.jpg

I'm glad 'auld Krissy M sorted you out & didn't shivver ye timbers!!

Safe Passage!

:wasntme:

Kris M
12-04-2010, 20:52
no problems Joel, was nice to meet you yesterday. Was nice to see a standard lekky blue, E plater :)

Had afew issues with a rather 90`s lazerline alarm system which ended up in the bin eventually :D. other than that id didnt take much to get the old girl fired up, just a new tdc sensor and an AEI ( + some fresh fuel :D )

Just get those parts on that list i gave you Joel, and il pop over in the coming weeks and we can see what the car needs for an MOT :)

J$£5GTT
12-04-2010, 20:56
Ahoy There Me Hearty!! http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn259/BigSteveT/Captain_Birds_Eye_196371a.jpg

I'm glad 'auld Krissy M sorted you out & didn't shivver ye timbers!!

Safe Passage!

:wasntme:

:laugh:,nice one M,what a good lad...:p:cooter:
gta go....shark attack!!:D