PDA

View Full Version : KRV

Wallace
07-03-2010, 22:32
Where to begin?? – compared to some of the projects on here, i feel this is rather tame, and when i first decided to give the car a little love and bring it to a newer condition, it felt like a mamouth task and pretty nerve racking at first - “oh what have i done??” :scratch::devil:
However as the weeks and months have gone by and part due to the information on this site and peoples posts, i’ve learnt so much and feel far more confident to complete what i started.
It’s been a bit addictive logging onto to the RTOC world over the past year or so, and still so happy that i own a 5GTT, always loved the styling and shape of them- and DA BOOST!!:devil::D and the errrr............humm...............”Puussshhhh” when i change gear:ashamed::D – i know i know, Dump Valve = Gay, but i love it and it makes me smile everytime i change gear...............:)
Been hooked at looking at others projects/restoration................so at last taken the time to add my progress with some pics and info on what i’ve been doing over the last few months, and show what i intend to do further............
Most has been lots of little jobs and subtly mods – for instance drilling and tapping the rear window catches to ensure they stopped flying open, new gaitor on the gear stick, stripping and re painting the steering wheel, rear badges, fan casing and aerial bracket etc etc
Hopefully over time bring the car back to life and make it new “ish”
At first i thought i’d strip it completely, but plans keep changing and at present i’m just concentrating on the engine and engine bay mostly, partly due to room – i rent a garage and not exactly by my front door!!!!! I’ve got no plans for engine mods, just to clean and freshen things up, refurb brackets and odds and sods that make the car look aged!
Really i want the car on the road for Santa Pod and National Day, mostly so i can make the most of not just the car but the club also. It won’t be completed in my mind, but over time, i can refurb everything as the years go on, mostly because of time and budget, but also because i’ve got no intention of selling the car so feel there’s no rush to have to do everything at once.............
We’ll see and time will tell.............................................
Thanks for looking - Alex

Wallace
07-03-2010, 22:38
Spent a while refurbing a new carb, once again quite dawnting when you first try these things out:scratch::wasntme:

But figured as it a spare, what's the worst that can happen:)

Wallace
07-03-2010, 22:42
Like most of the uk infact?! Space has been at a premium, and this should go to show that if your thinking of a rebuild or refresh, anyone can do it!! - I am lucky that i have a girlfreind who never moans :laugh::laugh::agree:

Wallace
07-03-2010, 22:48
Some more random pics & bits and pieces i've attacked and refurbed - just can't stop cleaning:laugh:

Wallace
07-03-2010, 22:54
To say i've bought a few new parts seems like and understatement, every other week some thing else turns up, but as i've heard said before - the beauties in the detail! and i do want this to be a lovely example..............everything from all new brackets, to thermostates and so on.......

TrixNFlix
07-03-2010, 22:55
Nice work Alex, your utility room reminds me of my kitchen. :laugh: Any tips on your cleaning routine? Your not using the washing machine are you?!:laugh:
The carb looks good. :cool::agree:

Wallace
07-03-2010, 22:58

Wallace
07-03-2010, 23:05
Christ it takes an age to upload................so to more recent events...........i've concentrated on the head of late - had it sent off to be skimmed, valves recut, valve seats recut, manifolds face skimmed - all chemically cleaned and painted and this week i'll be bolting it all together...........

Wallace
07-03-2010, 23:11
Now the engine and subframe are out, i've been able to really get my teeth into it, going to be repainting the engine bay, the subframe, and gearbox and replace parts as required - but now with the space to nose around i came across the dredded "rust":mad:

The drivers side front wing has a spot on it and hopefully the picture shows why........perhaps not the clearest pic but i assume this is a common place for rust and i obviously can't ignore..............

Wallace
07-03-2010, 23:15
So all in all a bit long winded but thats where i'm at...........sorry for the jumble of pictures but i already have hundreds of everything i've taken off and that really is everything from every angle to ensure i know how to put it back together "hopefully":scratch::laugh:

Stick me in front of an electrical control panel or distribution system and i feel at home, but in front of an R5GTT engine bay i'm lost and not afraid to admit it:D:smokin:

Once again cheers for looking........................Alex

Wallace
07-03-2010, 23:18
Nice work Alex, your utility room reminds me of my kitchen. :laugh: Any tips on your cleaning routine? Your not using the washing machine are you?!:laugh:
The carb looks good. :cool::agree:

Cheers Andy.............

The best tip i can offer is: use "Femfresh" Ph neutral and doesn't itch;)

Reakon when i do the other carb it'll look even better, having said that though, the carb looks good but it was an ebay purchase and it's yet to be tested -Fingers crossed:coffee:

gtmatt
08-03-2010, 10:25
like all the new parts mate , it will be soon done , :) keep up the good work:)

fidos got a raider
08-03-2010, 10:42
This was one of my mates five lovely 5.
Glad to see somone is taking good care of it

gimme5
08-03-2010, 11:17
looking good keep up the good work
were did you get oil cooler pipes from
did you send away to get chromed,hows the finish?:)

James5
08-03-2010, 12:46
This was one of my mates five lovely 5.
Glad to see somone is taking good care of it

Keep up the good work. Must be something with this 5 as both Dunc & wez were obsessed with keeping it clean. I can think back to how much work they both put in there ownership as both spent alot of money on it I think Dunc ended up with 2 full outer re-sprays and I think Wez did a similar thing to.

Wallace
08-03-2010, 19:49
Cheers for the above comments - and thanks for your help too James:agree: - i will pop round to JRP's one night (assuming i'm welcome that is:D:D) when you have your wednesday meet:agree: - be good to meet you face to face mate......and the other boys, your only round the M25!!

The car had clearly been looked after and i feel with my little extra bit of T.L.C. it should become a great example..........:agree::agree:

Wallace
16-03-2010, 18:42
looking good keep up the good work
were did you get oil cooler pipes from
did you send away to get chromed,hows the finish?:)

Bought from CGB - The finish is good, but not perfect!!! I've touched them up near the thread as about a "cm" had been missed:mad:

Wallace
16-03-2010, 18:51
Small update, works been a little quiet so been able to mess around with some car bits........

Got the head mostly together, just a few brackets to put on, then thats another tick on the list:agree:

Also had a fresh delivery of new veins and arteries for the engine bay:cool:

Cheers for looking..............Alex

Wallace
16-03-2010, 18:55
And if work continues to be slow, then i'm hoping the engine will be done very shortly:scratch::D

Infact quite looking forward to rebuilding it as i've never done a rebuild before

gtmatt
16-03-2010, 19:00
well done mate ,looks really good now:)

andy_wpo
16-03-2010, 19:23
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

nice work m8.I love when i see an old car rebuild with carefully and all new parts on it.

mike r5 gtt
16-03-2010, 20:09
looks good mate.

Wallace
11-04-2010, 19:23
Small update..............................given the subframe a little lick of paint today, would of prefered to get it powder coated but i'm spending the money on more important things this time round.......

Also spent an age cleaning up the gearbox and managed a few coats of paint, it's turned out well but i can see it flaking as soon as it gets near the hot engine:laugh:

Next stage is to get all the subrame and suspension back on the car then off to the body shop for the engine bay refurb......................then crack into the engine for the rebuild........

Cheers for looking
Alex

Wallace
12-05-2010, 19:53
As the pic's show really, had alot bits & bobs back from being refurbed, so finally getting things assembled back together.........

Had delivery of more bits today,new tyres, paints, etc etc got the marine clean & metal ready and Por-15, ready to attack the block and make it look fresh:smokin:

Started the engine bay too, spent alot of time sanding and grinding where needed and hopefully get it striped and a layer of primer on over weekend, i'll get some pics up at some point...........

So all in all in it's finally coming along.............everywhere i look though i'm finding rust - nothing major and it's all pretty solid, but obviously want to tackle it before it gets a grip..........

Cheers for looking:agree:

Wallace
12-05-2010, 19:55
Couple more.......

Brigsy
12-05-2010, 20:23
Nicely done mate:agree:

Kris M
12-05-2010, 21:51
Looking fresh mate :)

Wallace
28-05-2010, 19:41
Been sorting out the engine bay wiring loom, getting rid of through crimps and replacing with solid wire, cleaning out the relays and connections and just generally tidying all the connections where needed......

Pics are of the rust thats eaten through to the front wing and front wing/wheel arch section, but thats getting sorted at the bodyshop - car should be going to body shop tmrw - spent some time rubbing down and grinding out as much as poss, ready for the body shop to finish it off properly:agree:

shaggy
28-05-2010, 20:43
Keep up the good work Alex :agree:

gtmatt
28-05-2010, 20:52
nice work fresh as

philr5t
28-05-2010, 22:38
top work fella loving it i bet your getting the buzz back now to see it all coming together wicked stuff mate and again top work keep it up good to meet at last at pod phil

Wallace
31-05-2010, 21:07
Been at work sorting out the block..............when i arrived, was greeted with this:agree::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Sparkie
31-05-2010, 21:31
:agree::agree::agree::laugh:

philr5t
01-06-2010, 00:29
Been at work sorting out the block..............when i arrived, was greeted with this:agree::laugh::laugh::laugh:

THAT IS QUALITY MATE BUT WILL THE PROPS HAVE ENOUGH CLEARANCE IN THE ENGINE BAY :laugh:

stevedob1664
01-06-2010, 00:37
Should fly when its back in the car. I got an engine crane now if u need to borrow one to get it back in.

Dudders
01-06-2010, 00:40
you got to appreciate the thought that went into that, i woud agree that there is not a great deal of room but perhaps consider cutting through the bulkhead to enable the tailplane to move freely within the passenger compartment and a 20mm hole in the grille to pass the prop through?:D

philr5t
01-06-2010, 00:59
you got to appreciate the thought that went into that, i woud agree that there is not a great deal of room but perhaps consider cutting through the bulkhead to enable the tailplane to move freely within the passenger compartment and a 20mm hole in the grille to pass the prop through?:D

:D

phase i 16 v turbo
01-06-2010, 10:36
Excellent effort.:laugh:

Wallace
01-06-2010, 15:19
It's quality "init":laugh:

Saw the bloke this morning and congratulated him on a spiffing effort.....:laugh::laugh:

Wallace
01-06-2010, 15:22
Should fly when its back in the car. I got an engine crane now if u need to borrow one to get it back in.

Yes Please:D:D:D (monies is waiting:D)

You geeza Steve:agree::agree::agree:...........matter of days for the engine to be ready, infact mate i'll give you a buzz a bit later, cause if your up for it - come and have a look over it before it's all bolted back together............

benj88
01-06-2010, 18:29
Great thread mate

Wallace
01-06-2010, 21:16
Great thread mate

Cheers Buddy:agree:

Wallace
08-06-2010, 20:42
And so it begins.............

Cars not going to the bodyshop now till end of the month, as seems to be the case, they say one thing and mean the other, but its turned out well because the new bodyshop where i'm taking it, is so close to my flat that i'll be able to pop in everyday and get good photo's:D

MASSIVE thanks to Steve (stevedob1664) for stripping the engine with me:agree: but keep your phone on dude cause it's gotta go back together:devil::wasntme:

So the blocks been sent for acid dipping and crank regrind etc.......

Cheers for looking....:agree:

philg
09-06-2010, 08:43
Top man, its looking great.

benj88
09-06-2010, 10:52
How much does it cost to dip a block/box mate?

Wallace
09-06-2010, 15:56
it's costing me £20...................no doubt that'll differ from place to place but generally not expensive:agree: - and in my opion if your going down the rebuild route then it will clean off all the old rust and crud and give a good base to build from, so should absolutely be considered:agree:

benj88
09-06-2010, 19:01
it's costing me £20...................no doubt that'll differ from place to place but generally not expensive:agree: - and in my opion if your going down the rebuild route then it will clean off all the old rust and crud and give a good base to build from, so should absolutely be considered:agree:

Wow that's cheap :agree: it's well worth doing looks really good, is there any certain paint that can only be used for the block and box?

Wallace
09-06-2010, 22:14
POR-15 Products:agree:

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=7215&highlight=painting+block

This thread should answer all your questions and if you need proof, check out Raj's engine builds - good enough proof for me:agree::D

This is where to get it all from:

http://www.frost.co.uk/

And as said in the thread, it comes highly recommended from lots of members:agree:

benj88
09-06-2010, 22:29
POR-15 Products:agree:

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=7215&highlight=painting+block

This thread should answer all your questions and if you need proof, check out Raj's engine builds - good enough proof for me:agree::D

This is where to get it all from:

http://www.frost.co.uk/

And as said in the thread, it comes highly recommended from lots of members:agree:

Cheers mate, yeh iv seen his builds they look great, keep up the good work!

Wallace
10-06-2010, 10:45
Cheers mate, yeh iv seen his builds they look great, keep up the good work!

Your car gets lots of love..........give it POR-15 You know it makes sense:wasntme:

Wallace
05-07-2010, 21:37
WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO:D

Dropped the car off to the bodyshop tonight - at last:agree: so should be ready in a couple weeks........................

All the engines ready to go............cranks been reground, bearing ready to fit, blocks painted,oil pumps good to go etc etc etc.

Had a delay on the piston&liner set............down to the engine engineers, absolutley top blokes, that have a genuine interest in what i've been doing, so i put the business their way, only down side has been the delay in getting the parts, but they did tell me the lead time and it's not caused me any probs cause of the bodyshop delay....

Shouldn't be much longer now:D:D:D:D:smokin:

shaggy
05-07-2010, 22:08
I can not waite to meet up with the old girl at national day:cool:. keep up the good work wallace:agree:

Wallace
19-07-2010, 19:31
Taaaadaaaa:wasntme:

It's been slow going again.....for one reason or another money has had to stop going into it.........but i'm now gonna start putting it all back together........which for the best part is free:D:agree:

Wallace
19-07-2010, 19:36
Few more......

Wallace
19-07-2010, 19:41
http://www.daytonacoachworx.co.uk/

These are the guys that did the work, some lovely cars in the gallery section.......and most importantly they are "dam good geeza'zzz":agree:

Wallace
19-09-2010, 18:21
Greeetttings all:D

So project sloowwwly sloowly 2:laugh: has moved another step forward:D

It will get done eventually...........:D

(Sorry if the photo's are schiite - taken from my mobile!!)

Thanks for looking:agree::agree:

Wallace
11-10-2010, 19:57
Woohoooooo:wasntme::wasntme: - Engine in, few other little bits sorted..........Happy chappy:D

benj88
11-10-2010, 20:17
nice mate its taking shape :agree:

was just looking at this thread earlier wondering if you had done much more, iv got my engine out now, getting the subframe powder coated soon

jesus in the seat of a 5
11-10-2010, 20:23
Damn alex, thats inspired me more with the phase one buddy...a credit to you my friend...ps , can i ask where you got your turbo oil feed with inline filter my good friend as i need one for the cup...ta:).

philr5t
12-10-2010, 00:38
alex me old mate that is looking really really smart top work , meeting up with you at the surrey meet also helped me to pull my finger out again on mine once again mate fantastic work :agree:

TNT ANDY
12-10-2010, 06:32
Just seen this for the very first time - Good work fella, you must be very pleased with the progress so far. Top quality re-build if I ever saw one. Nice to see the C1J in such nice fettle.

phase i 16 v turbo
12-10-2010, 09:21
Keep up the good work Alex.:agree:

Wallace
12-10-2010, 10:43
Damn alex, thats inspired me more with the phase one buddy...a credit to you my friend...ps , can i ask where you got your turbo oil feed with inline filter my good friend as i need one for the cup...ta:).

Cheers Matty:agree:

I was going to post on the thread about the in-line filter, cause i wasn't sure how to go about getting it:scratch:

Simplez! Speak to Ben @ Hose Solutions, send him you braided hose, he'll then cut it into 2 and send it back with the filter in place - I paid £30 (incl delivery!) - I know some guys haven't been that impressed, or say the hose is too long, but from my experience, the hose has been done well! although maybe slightly too long, i can't see it being a problem!!

Hope that helps mate:agree:

Wallace
12-10-2010, 10:45
alex me old mate that is looking really really smart top work , meeting up with you at the surrey meet also helped me to pull my finger out again on mine once again mate fantastic work :agree:

Mate after seeing Tonys (Fisheads) car at the meet it really gave me the horn:D:D

Just neeeed:devil: to get mine back on the road:D

James5
12-10-2010, 10:52
Alex, the car is looking fantastic matey although always did :laugh: and you have done a top job on that engine, not long now by the looks of things and you will be able to enjoy the pleasurers of your labour.

Look how dirty the engine used to be from back in the day when it was outside my house with a H/G failure which caused the header tank cap to explode and a similar thing happend to the top hase stat aswell:scratch:

Not sure if you have seen this pics

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh25/GTTJames/Duncs%20R5%20GTT/IMG_3482.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh25/GTTJames/Duncs%20R5%20GTT/IMG_3483.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh25/GTTJames/Duncs%20R5%20GTT/IMG_3486.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh25/GTTJames/Duncs%20R5%20GTT/IMG_3479.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh25/GTTJames/Duncs%20R5%20GTT/IMG_3497.jpg

benj88
16-10-2010, 02:42
are them pics your car? i have a few pics of that red 5 saved on the computer off a few year ago on a pistonheads ad :coffee:

James5
16-10-2010, 11:07
are them pics your car? i have a few pics of that red 5 saved on the computer off a few year ago on a pistonheads ad :coffee:

Yeah they are pic's of Alex aka Wallace's car when Dunc owned it before selling it to CGB, he had the private plate on it at the time and the pic's are outside my old gaff when I had it for a few days doing some work on the ole girl:D

Couple more pics on a return trip from Track n Road rolling road back in 2008

Wallace
16-10-2010, 11:45
Nice one James:agree:

Those pics are exactly the reason why I've done what I've done! From the outside the car was stunning:D

Then as soon as you pop the bonnet:cry::laugh: God dam O.C.D....can't leave anything alone:D

The engine also should now serve me well....as its been given a lot of attention and if somethings needed doing I've had it done:agree:

Look forward to taking you out for a burn James......but I'll be keeping an eye on the actuator when your about:laugh::laugh:

James5
16-10-2010, 12:15
Nice one James:agree:

Those pics are exactly the reason why I've done what I've done! From the outside the car was stunning:D

Then as soon as you pop the bonnet:cry::laugh: God dam O.C.D....can't leave anything alone:D

The engine also should now serve me well....as its been given a lot of attention and if somethings needed doing I've had it done:agree:

Look forward to taking you out for a burn James......but I'll be keeping an eye on the actuator when your about:laugh::laugh:

Looking forward to it Alex:D

Keep me away from that actuator:laugh:

Wallace
16-11-2010, 21:24
Works slow so been able to get stuck in!

To get it running i need to: Finish plumbing in the radiator, fit the intercooler & pipe work,get the drive shafts in, fit the battery,give it some fluids then hopefully all being well.............turn the key:smokin:

Big Thanks to PurpleRob for letting me use his car as the template for all the ancilliaries and where they live:agree:

Just a couple of pics,

Cheers for looking

Spooky
16-11-2010, 21:38
Thats one sexy bitch!

TNT ANDY
16-11-2010, 21:54
You've got to be happy with that.:agree::agree::agree:

philr5t
17-11-2010, 11:01
that is looking rather pukka mate top job glad you are almost there now at the end of the project i was almost there but now i have hit a big wall with an electric problem

again top work mate keep the pics coming :agree::agree::agree:

James5
17-11-2010, 11:15
Alex, that is looking very nice matey, OE with a hint of bling love it:agree:

Wallace
18-11-2010, 20:07
Cheers for the comments:agree:

I've no intention of chaving it up too much, but once it's altogether i'll chop & change things around till i'm happy with the look - alot things i've added just because they look cleaner and better than some of the oe bits i had on there!

As said before, i know alot of people would piss this kind of project, but pretty happy and chuffed with it,considering this is my first ever build project....

Lets just hope i haven't f**ked anything up and it actually starts and runs:devil::wasntme:

TrixNFlix
18-11-2010, 20:17
Alex, dont put yourself down, you've done an amazing job matey. So much work has been put into this and it looks superb. :agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree:: agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::cool::cool::coo l::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool: :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::D

benj88
27-11-2010, 00:52
Alex, dont put yourself down, you've done an amazing job matey. So much work has been put into this and it looks superb. :agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree:: agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::cool::cool::coo l::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool: :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::D

agree :agree:

phase i 16 v turbo
27-11-2010, 11:00
Can't wait to see it at one of the meets. Keep up the good work Alex.:agree:

Wallace
09-12-2010, 20:22
Just a little update:

CGB had sent me some random oil cooler lines that just didn't fit, so that has held me back.....................

But massive thanks to Mike who sent me some more oil lines and they have now had a rub down and refurb and now all fitted.

Turned the key last night (with no spark) to get the oil pumped round, all fluids are now topped up so almost ready to go.......was such a good feeling to hear the engine turn over, and it seemed to have a very strong ignition:agree:

Soooo just a few little jobs to do till i can actually get some miles on it! (adjust accelerator cable,clutch cable, bleed brakes etc etc)

I'll add some pics but every night i go out its fooking dark:wasntme:

benj88
09-12-2010, 22:48
Nice one mate, yeh get some pics up, mikes been really helpful to me too, it took over a month to receive my chrome altenator and oil return pipe from Cgb.

Wallace
27-02-2011, 20:32
Oh my life.............how long is it taking hee.....hee..........:wasntme:

IT'S ALIVE:agree::agree::devil::devil::D:D:D

Well today after months and weeks of in-action............finally got it started!

MASSIVE MASSIVE THANK YOU!!! - To PurpleRob.......RTOC Spirit at its best:agree:

Still lots to do to get it where i want it but today is big step to getting back on the road:burnrubber:

Purple_rob
27-02-2011, 20:58
Any time mate. It was great to hear it up and running after the rebuild. Only a few more things for you to tidy up and I hope we can go for a little cruise around.

Did you try the other Carb out on it and stop that little return pipe leak when I left you?.

You done a great job rebuilding it and once we got that fireing order right it started well.

Wallace
27-02-2011, 22:53
Any time mate. It was great to hear it up and running after the rebuild. Only a few more things for you to tidy up and I hope we can go for a little cruise around.

Did you try the other Carb out on it and stop that little return pipe leak when I left you?.

You done a great job rebuilding it and once we got that fireing order right it started well.

No mate didn't change the carb over............I re-tighten the jubilee and it seemed to sort the oil leak from there...........

Need to address the leak from the in-line filter hose and i've got a horrible feeling that there maybe a drop in oil reaching the turbo "if" that noise is the bearings?!

As before mate, next weekend i'll get cracking early - it's up'd my enthusiam too:D

And mate, once again - THANK YOU!!!!!

philr5t
28-02-2011, 00:30
Fantastic news mate on getting it started so when will you think it will be finished :agree:

Wallace
28-02-2011, 09:25
Fantastic news mate on getting it started so when will you think it will be finished :agree:

Cheers Phil........was such a buzz when it fired up:D

Back on the road should surely only be a matter of wks!

But finished??? Depends how anal I am with it!!!!

MADFIVE
28-02-2011, 20:15
so glad for you mate. it will be great seeing you and your 5 at pod day or mallory again and this time i will get some beers in. :cool: top work mate.:agree:

r5adz
28-02-2011, 20:42
looks really nice m8, another lovely 5. Oh yeah, theres nothing wrong with running a dump valve fella, don't listen to the haters!! I know i'll be running one when mines finished. ( one day :scratch:)

Wallace
28-02-2011, 21:37
so glad for you mate. it will be great seeing you and your 5 at pod day or mallory again and this time i will get some beers in. :cool: top work mate.:agree:

Cheers Grant............I'll see you at one or the other:agree:

Wallace
28-02-2011, 21:38
looks really nice m8, another lovely 5. Oh yeah, theres nothing wrong with running a dump valve fella, don't listen to the haters!! I know i'll be running one when mines finished. ( one day :scratch:)

:agree: Vroooomm PUUSSSSSSHHHHH - Love it:cooter::laugh::D

Danboi2
28-02-2011, 21:57
thats some amazing work mate keep it up :)

Wallace
05-03-2011, 20:43
All in all a good afternoon on the 5 - I'm clucking to get it back on the road and would like it road worthy for the next surrey meet........but it doesn't give me much time cause i'm working away again in the weeks to come:mad:

Car idles well, but the accelerator is a little sticky, so need to get that spot on.......got the afr gauge wired in temporarly and the readings on idle are good.

However though i've been trying to eliminate a couple of oil leaks : one is coming from the oil return (turbo - sump) thought i'd fixed it but unfortunately not, and also the new in-line filter/turbo feed braided hose is also leaking!

Once again thought i'd sorted them but they have persisted.....

Also some lights work, and some don't..........but not worried should all be simple fixes.........

Not long now:D:devil:

Thanks for looking:agree::agree::agree:

benj88
05-03-2011, 21:02
Class work mate! Loving it!

Wallace
05-03-2011, 21:19
Class work mate! Loving it!

They'll look good parked next to each other:D

James5
05-03-2011, 21:32
Alex matey, looks sexy matey although that car always did, but you have your stub axle to strut bolt and nuts on the wrong way around:D

philr5t
05-03-2011, 21:52
Beautiful mate spot on love it can't wait to see this now mate :agree:

Wallace
06-03-2011, 08:55
Alex matey, looks sexy matey although that car always did, but you have your stub axle to strut bolt and nuts on the wrong way around:D

Cheers James:agree:

Newby alert:ashamed::D - Does it matter about the bolts being that way round?

"Talk to me!"

Wallace
06-03-2011, 08:56
Beautiful mate spot on love it can't wait to see this now mate :agree:

Cheers Phil - as above mate hoping to get it sorted for your next meet, but i'm away for the next 2 weeks which is a royal pain in the ass:mad:

James5
06-03-2011, 09:58
Cheers James:agree:

Newby alert:ashamed::D - Does it matter about the bolts being that way round?

"Talk to me!"

It's something to do with the nuts if they come off the bolts won't apparently fall out the other way it's detonator something along those lines :)

Wallace
06-03-2011, 19:48
Not the most eventful day in the end.....:(

Wipped the turbo off to adjust/retighten the oil return pipe - give it a good clean and that seemed to work...............but............still got a leak from that area??:mad:

It was too dark in the end and too covered in oil to see clearly so that'll have to wait for another day.......

Also the Turbo oil feed pipe (block to turbo) is leaking oil! - I'm going to be sending it back to Hose Solutions because i've tried ptfe and making sure its clean and seated well but it still leaks, its leaking at a join so must be faulty.............

Car idles @ 13.9 but the idle screw is not sensitive at all, so may try the old carb to set things up and see how that on performs?

Got the lights all working though which made it feel like i had accomplished something................:D

And then as i go to pack up and do the window back up..........NOTHING:scratch::mad:

Turns out the wires to the window motor are seriously corroded -- but managed to get it closed in the end:wasntme::wasntme:

Shame because it's almost a waste of a day, and now it's so close i'm just clucking to drive it:D:D:D:D

See what the next attempt brings......:smokin:

stevedob1664
11-03-2011, 00:40
ello mate cant remember but is there a copper washer between the union and the turbo? if not maybe why its leaking. you gotta bring her round when shes finnished. oh and ive got a spare union here if you wanna try it.

Trevhib
11-03-2011, 10:56
Aren't there two copper washers on that banjo fitting assembly?

block-washer-banjo-washer-bolt

IIRC. :)

James5
11-03-2011, 11:20
That banjo fitting is the turbo oil drain I don't think there is a copper washer on it. Could be worth sticking some ptfe tape around the thread

Wallace
11-03-2011, 15:28
Cheers for the advice guys - I think and say "think" because i've yet to run it for a prolonged period yet! - That i've actually sorted that leak,fingers crossed!

But there was definatley no chopper washer in there in the first place?? - makes me laugh because this is one of the only exsisting parts that i've not touched......

If continues to leak, i've got lots of chopper washers so i'll wip it all off again!

The hold up has been the oil feed hose to the turbo, hose solutions mind have been absolute stars:agree:

In short, sent them the old hose and filter back, saying it leaks - they've agreed and i've received the new braided hose today.

Also, had a FOOOOOOOKING RESULT:D - Was meant to be working away, but the job has been put back a week, so planing to get it ready for MOT over the weekend, assuming i don't run into more probs.......................:devil::D:D

Purple_rob
11-03-2011, 16:30
Also, had a FOOOOOOOKING RESULT:D - Was meant to be working away, but the job has been put back a week, so planing to get it ready for MOT over the weekend, assuming i don't run into more probs.......................:devil::D:D

Whoop!!! I should be around then Sunday mate?

Wallace
11-03-2011, 17:58
Whoop!!! I should be around then Sunday mate?

Yes mate........:agree::agree:

By that time hopefully just be bumber and bonnet to go on:agree:

Wallace
11-03-2011, 18:00
ello mate cant remember but is there a copper washer between the union and the turbo? if not maybe why its leaking. you gotta bring her round when shes finnished. oh and ive got a spare union here if you wanna try it.

Cheers Steve - May have to try it if ptfe doesn't work!

And mate for sure once it's done i'll be round, i'll need to put some miles on the engine to run it in;):D

Wallace
11-03-2011, 18:11
GGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR:mad::D

Just been and fitted the new turbo oil feed and that is spot on:agree:

AFR's are all over the place now i've put a new mixture screw in, so will test for leaks tommorrow and try to get that sorted.......

Buuuut still got a leak from the turbo! - as the pics probably show, it's clearly coming from the turbo drain section, and i assume it is the banjo?

Can anyone confirm if there are copper washers???

If so i'll fit them tommorrow and try ptfe too:agree:

Most worrying of all though there is some kind of grinding/scraping noise:scratch: - thought it might be the fly wheel and some rust on it as it's stood for soo long but not entirely sure - thinking it could be coming from the rear housing of the turbo too?

Will have to see tommorrow as i'm off out now..................roll on tommorrow:D

Brigsy
11-03-2011, 18:42
No copper washers on the turbo drain, might just need nipping up? also check the oil cooler hoses for leaks they look pretty wet to me.

Its also worth checking oil isnt dripping from the exhaust housing, if the rear seal is worn it can happen.

Also clean the rubber/metal parts of return hose with brake cleaner before fitting, stops them, makes a better seal and the pipes dont slip all over:)

Wallace
12-03-2011, 00:03
No copper washers on the turbo drain, might just need nipping up? also check the oil cooler hoses for leaks they look pretty wet to me.

Its also worth checking oil isnt dripping from the exhaust housing, if the rear seal is worn it can happen.

Also clean the rubber/metal parts of return hose with brake cleaner before fitting, stops them, makes a better seal and the pipes dont slip all over:)

:agree:

Trevhib
12-03-2011, 11:36
That banjo fitting is the turbo oil drain I don't think there is a copper washer on it. Could be worth sticking some ptfe tape around the thread

Ooops, misread due to the word banjo. Was thinking oil feed where it comes out of the block. Apologies. There's no banjo fitting on the oil drain.

Turbo oil drain outlet - there are two sizes of outlet and thus two different sizes of that little 90 degree pipe. If you try to fit the larger pipe to the smaller outlet it leaks. Maybe that's a possibility? Also, you need one of those neoprene inner-coated pipes...

Wallace
12-03-2011, 17:58
Ooops, misread due to the word banjo. Was thinking oil feed where it comes out of the block. Apologies. There's no banjo fitting on the oil drain.

Turbo oil drain outlet - there are two sizes of outlet and thus two different sizes of that little 90 degree pipe. If you try to fit the larger pipe to the smaller outlet it leaks. Maybe that's a possibility? Also, you need one of those neoprene inner-coated pipes...

Trevor.........you have just bought a little ray of sunshine into my life:wasntme: - This could well be the problem?!

I've just come in from trying to sort this leak ALL DAY!!

I've tried everything, and now i've just siliconed the hole banjo - it's all i could think to try:devil:.............

As a result i've now well and truely ruined the new 90 degree pipe, in the end i've just over tightened it and split it.........

In all honesty, its been a waste of a day, my arms are covered in cuts and burns from the turbo:D but its been a great day messing with the car in the sunshine:D:agree::D

Once again thanks for your input guys, it is greatlt appreiciated:agree:

Brigsy
12-03-2011, 18:16
Could be the wrong size fitting like! measure it up and see, it should fit the pipe tight. Fitting the rubber pipe is always a sod of a job :crap:

Wallace
12-03-2011, 18:27
Could be the wrong size fitting like! measure it up and see, it should fit the pipe tight. Fitting the rubber pipe is always a sod of a job :crap:

Yeah got to be honest, i really hope Trevor is right, because it isn't really a "tight" fit.

But what i don't understand is, surely its not pressurised return so the leak shouldn't be as brutal!

Wallace
12-03-2011, 18:38
Just a few pics from today - any observations??

The ptfe perished instantly, maybe cheap crap ptfe or assuming maybe the heat from the turbo! either way, it didn't work:laugh::D

Wallace
12-03-2011, 18:43
Also took a couple of the turbo turbine blades, some are a little bent! - Anything to worry about??

Theres minimal and i mean minimal side to side play in the shaft and zero back and forwards movement!

Brigsy
12-03-2011, 19:29
Its hard to tell in the pics but it looks like you have the larger ph2 sized fitting. All i can really suggest is use a narrow good brand jubilee clip, Clean everything with brake cleaner thoroughly so the pipe doesnt slip all over and keep your fingers crossed :(

Wallace
13-03-2011, 11:41
Thanks Brigsy..........fingers crossed mate

Trevhib
13-03-2011, 17:17
No probs.

The genuine OE part is quite expensive I think (the 90 degree bend pipe that is). It has a funny coloured inner (i.e a beige colour, not black). It's neoprene I think. It has to be like this due to the heat of the oil/turbo.

I'd take the outlet to Renault and see if they can supply a genuine hose.

Of course it could still be a leak from the fitting itself.

Wallace
19-03-2011, 19:24
Hi all,

Purchased a new oil return hose from Renault, unfortunately I STILL have the leak, it's not as bad, but i have siliconed the bolt and fixing (no doubt burning off).

So anyway, i'm going to book the car in for tracking & MOT - get it on the road and iron out all the little niggles.......

As for the oil leak,i'll try another fitting- probably a new one so as not to mess about!

I've uploaded a video of the car ticking over, and would appreciate peoples opnions/suggestions on the AFR readings??

Thanks again, and cheers for looking:agree:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0FkplJvOKY

5teve L
19-03-2011, 19:32
Thats a compression fitin for the drain, if it isn't going in right & got nothing to 'pinch' it together it will leak. Can you twist or move the oil return once nipped up at all ?

Pretty sure you need a fitting that just screws in right up into the turbo as I bet that fitting isn't going in far enough to act as a compression fitting...

Wallace
20-03-2011, 23:04
Thats a compression fitin for the drain, if it isn't going in right & got nothing to 'pinch' it together it will leak. Can you twist or move the oil return once nipped up at all ?

Pretty sure you need a fitting that just screws in right up into the turbo as I bet that fitting isn't going in far enough to act as a compression fitting...

No can't move anything once it's all in position.

The fitting is definately tight, and as you say, i think its not seating properly?

Will try another one or perhaps i'll send the turbo to turbo technics to see if they solve it!

Wallace
20-03-2011, 23:06
Can anyone comment on the afr readings?

Have noticed also that if i pump the excelerator the readings go straight into the 15's & 16's............?

stevedob1664
23-03-2011, 11:49
i wouldnt worry about the afr readings with no load on the engine. You need to run it in for a few miles then check the afr while driving with a load on the engine and on boost.

Wallace
26-03-2011, 13:01
i wouldnt worry about the afr readings with no load on the engine. You need to run it in for a few miles then check the afr while driving with a load on the engine and on boost.

Hi Steve,

Cheers mate:agree: - Once i've got it MOT'd i'll pop down........be good to see you and the 5 and we'll go for a little cruise see what you think......

Hope alls well mate, i'll give you a buzz......

Wallace
29-03-2011, 22:15

Still got the oil leak from the oil drain "area" so now have to suspect its dripping from the exhaust housing, was too dark to check properly.......

Managed to check the brakes and lights etc ready for MOT and am hopin to get it MOT'd next wkend:agree:

Wallace
15-05-2011, 17:13
Latest little update,

Work,getting ready to move & enthusiam have slowed my progress. But at last i've sorted the feeking oil leak!!!(pics say it all!) Used Copper high temp sealent, and reakon for a more permenant fix i'll source some other compressions fittings if this doesn't last:D

All being well, will get it MOT'd on tuesday - still a few issues but National Day in the 5 is looking good:agree::agree::agree::agree::agree:

stevedob1664
25-05-2011, 00:08
hi mate you still going the national day? when you planning gonig up there?

Wallace
25-05-2011, 22:43
Failed MOT:cry:

*Master Cylinder Leaking

*N/S & O/S Sills - excessive corrosion

*Parking Brake below requirements

Few Advisory: Fuel & brake lines corroded+ nsf top strut bearing stiff etc etc etc

In short, although i'm gutted - cause wanted to show it off at national day - its kinda done me a favour, I'M SKINT:laugh::wasntme:

I'm moving and work is mega busy so just haven't got the time to give to the car at present.......

As of tonight i've now written myself a list of everything I want to do on the car, and will just do it as and when i can.......................

Wallace
25-05-2011, 22:43
hi mate you still going the national day? when you planning gonig up there?

Hi mate,

I'll call u tmrw............

Wallace
04-06-2012, 13:20
Testing the waters for any potentional buyers...........

Sad to admit, but i've just lost the love for the car, and my priorities have changed.

Once the bits and pieces have been done to get it through MOT, i'll advertise it properly, or if anyone is keen drop me a PM, come have a look and we may be able to strike a deal.

Cheers................Alex

sammo_gtt
04-06-2012, 16:15
How much you looking for??

Wallace
04-06-2012, 18:45
How much you looking for??

Finished with MOT????? or As is???

PM'd:agree:

Trevhib
05-06-2012, 14:32
Nice looking car this. Shame it became a chore :(

Wallace
05-06-2012, 20:19
Nice looking car this. Shame it became a chore :(

It is a lovely car:agree: but i'd obviously say that:D

But seriously, it is a good example............

All in all, i've not touched it for over a year now...........Its not a chore to me, but i just do not have time to give the car...........

I've moved 3 times, business is good and i'm branching out on my own, getting married, starting a family......new home.................

Its just the wrong time for me............simple as that..............

Wallace
03-09-2012, 22:04
Well funk me, its been a while - My life has changed so much in the last 12 months,that i'd felt a bit bogged down with everything..........but...............things change, and i'm happy to say i'm keeping the car:agree:

All in all, i've been a busy boy:smokin::D

To get it through MOT now, all I need is to get the n/s sills repaired, and this time i'm paying someone to do......having burnt the shiiite out of my arms and head:wasntme: and trying to work 2 feet off the ground, with 3 feet working area, enoughs enough:laugh::D

The projects still on-going, carpets,interior etc etc, but it times to start enjoying it:burnrubber:

Think the pictures tell the full story:agree:

Wallace
03-09-2012, 22:06

Wallace
03-09-2012, 22:11

Wallace
03-09-2012, 22:14

Wallace
03-09-2012, 22:17

Wallace
03-09-2012, 22:20
As has been said before: POR-15 is absolutley brilliant stuff:agree::agree::agree:

But i'm still scrapping it off my skin 10 days later:laugh:

'use with caution!!!! cover yourself head to toe':D:D

James5
03-09-2012, 22:20
Looking good Alex, feck me the clocks have 0 miles on:agree:

Wallace
03-09-2012, 22:38
Looking good Alex, feck me the clocks have 0 miles on:agree:

Cheers James.................:agree:

Yeah the original clocks were playing up and these appeared;)

Just cluccking to use the thing now

Trevhib
04-09-2012, 17:27
Good stuff

philr5t
05-09-2012, 11:00
cracking news you've seen the light and your keeping it mate i had a feeling you would never let it go hurry up and finish it now mate and get it to some meets again well done with progress :agree:

Wallace
05-09-2012, 21:49
cracking news you've seen the light and your keeping it mate i had a feeling you would never let it go hurry up and finish it now mate and get it to some meets again well done with progress :agree:

Had the light shine on me for a change:D - its just been a great change in fortune, thats allowed me to keep it........and at last crack on:agree::agree:

I'll be down again Phil............i'm holding you to a ride in your motor:smokin:

Kris M
05-09-2012, 22:56
Looks a proper job mate. Definatly worth getting bodywork done properly. Will be good for years to come now :agree::)

Wallace
07-09-2012, 23:23
Looks a proper job mate. Definatly worth getting bodywork done properly. Will be good for years to come now :agree::)

AGREED:agree:

It took an age to get all the old ****e etc from the underside,but hopefully put alot more years into the body:agree:

Wallace
07-09-2012, 23:32
Good stuff

:agree::D

Wallace
12-09-2012, 21:28
New red carpet in - Check:agree:
Spare wheel and cage/carrier refurbed and powder coated - Check:agree:

I'll upload soon........but the red carpet looks soooooo good:D

Next step is to get it to the body shop for the inner and outer sill repair, then MOT time:D

Its finally starting to progress.....just in time for winter:laugh:

Wallace
29-09-2012, 14:51
Little update,not a great deal done today buuuuuttt........

Got all the bodykit off so the bodyshop can come and have a look and see whats needed to get the sill done, and also see the extent of the rust for myself too!

Re-routed the AFR to where the clock was, few tweaks to the engine bay,and hopefully the pictures do the red carpet justice.............it looks fooking sweeeet, even if i do say so myself:cool::D

:mad::mad::mad: Cant upload pics for some reason?! - Will try again later!

Wallace
30-09-2012, 10:18

Wallace
30-09-2012, 10:18

Wallace
30-09-2012, 10:19

Wallace
03-10-2012, 22:08
Cars at the bodyshop today having the inner & outer sill sorted:agree::D

Hopefully get it back over the wkend - give it a few tweaks and sort the last few little jobs out, then MOT time:D:D

Wallace
06-10-2012, 18:31
Poped to the bodyshop this morning, not much to report, but the rust is pretty much as i'd expected...............

Had a good look up on the ramps, and its also developed a coolant leak - will need to have a proper look, but cannot for the life of me see where its coming from:scratch:

Wallace
16-10-2012, 12:03
Cars back from the body shop-Not overly happy with what they've done!

It seems that its been patched and filled rather than removing the old sill and welding in the new sills, of which i supplied..............but i'm over it at the moment, just want it back on the road.

Gave it a good coating of POR-15 so should last a few more years:agree:

So hopefully today will get the valves readjusted,few little bits like getting the bodykit back on and try and get it fueling properly - theeennnnnnn M to the O to the T:D

Cheers for looking:agree::agree:

Wallace
20-10-2012, 22:56
As you may have seen from another thread - IT PAST MOT:yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah:

I've not covered many miles yet as i'm still trying to sort the fueling, but its been fooking awesome sitting in the drving seat.................been a while, but its reminded why i bought it:D:D

I have spent hours just readjusting valves, making sure jubilee clips are tight etc etc etc, whilst running through things, i checked the turbo oil feed filter and was surprised to find swarf in it already-just goes to show it is a well worth while purchase!

Still to do:

*Still to sort the fueling
*N/S Rear caliper is very down on braking effiency
*Sort out the inlet mainfold core plug
*run the engine in
*Give it through clean,wax,polish etc

*Sit in the garage with a brew and admire your work:laugh::D

Just a few random pics as i've also been playing about with engine bay to remove pipes, tidy cables etc:agree:

Wallace
20-10-2012, 22:58

Wallace
20-10-2012, 22:59

philr5t
21-10-2012, 11:51
mate the car looks stunning well done for keeping it going after a stage where it was nearly for sale top stuff again mate cant wait to see it now and catch up and have a good chat well done

phil :agree:

Wallace
21-10-2012, 22:51
Nice one Phil:agree::agree::agree:

Yeah mate it would have gone, but things turned around for me and it just made me able to keep it - which im obviously WELL happy about:D:D

If we get a good patch of weather i'll be down mate, just in time for the early evenings to set in, at least that way i can show it off in the dark:wasntme::laugh:

Danboi2
22-10-2012, 08:02
good work going on there, you dont have any pics of when you put the side skirt clips back on do you?

Wallace
22-10-2012, 14:13
good work going on there, you dont have any pics of when you put the side skirt clips back on do you?

Cheers:agree:

No mate i don't, whys that?

Danboi2
22-10-2012, 15:13

No mate i don't, whys that?

the bodyshop who fitted my skirts put the clips on upside down, Ive took the skirt off now rotated the clips but cant get the side skirt to clip on properly and im woundering if the clips are mounted too high

Wallace
22-10-2012, 16:25
Hummmmm i see..........

Mine had the orignals left on for exactly that reason, the new sills were cut about an inch lower of the studs so i didnt have to piss about with the side skirt fixing+paint etc,and the rust was only again about an inch from the bottom!

Yours could be that there mounted to high,or is the sill itself mount to high (this will massively depend on what you've had done though!)

Or is just a case of them being a f**ker to get on, they are simple a pain in the arse:disagree:

Try lining it up, then get underneath as you get a far better view of where everything is.............kinda push down and in towards the car

Hope that makes sense:scratch:

benj88
25-10-2012, 15:10
Looking good mate

Wallace
12-11-2012, 10:45
250miles on, so far so good................although its not been with out teething problems:

*O/S Electric window kept failing so re-wired that
*Pesistant coolant leak turned out to be in 3 places, but fingers crossed now all sorted
*Small oil leak from the turbo to sump pipe but i'll address that properly at a later stage
*Suspect the heater matrix is leaking-typical as this is one of the only parts i've not replaced:wasntme:
*Rocker cover continues to seep oil:mad::wasntme:

But when alls said and done, the car drives well,fuels well (for a carb anyway:D) and the cooling system does what it should:agree:

Roll on another 250miles then i can start to feel the boost again:cool:

I've given the car a good polish and waxing so when the weathers a bit brighter i'll get some pics up:cool:

Wallace
12-02-2013, 19:00
Been a while:D

So im about 440ish miles into the running in of the engine, and ive gotta laugh (or just get F**KING mad) because everytime ive used the car, something else has broken or gone wrong:wasntme:

Now got a few jobs to complete before getting it on the road again, and as we all know the weathers just shhhiite:disagree:

Drove the car in the freezing conditions and had the drivers door fly open on me whilst turning into my road, so so lucky it didnt clout anyones car:eek:

Made a subframe up to fit a clio seat, always found the oe gtt seats uncomfortable, and have now of course got Koni's to go on:D

Just some more random pics (hope no re-posted), COME ON SUMMER and F0000K OFF RAIN:D looking forward to getting bacl down to surrey and attending an ace cafe meet as never been:agree:

Wallace
12-02-2013, 19:02

TopCat
12-02-2013, 20:05
Nothing like a fresh red 5. Looks really nice that fella.

Wallace
14-02-2013, 17:29
Nothing like a fresh red 5. Looks really nice that fella.

:agree::D

philr5t
14-02-2013, 18:08
looking quality mate as always are you taking it to pod and national day this year when you gonna make my surrey meets ???? :agree:

Wallace
14-02-2013, 18:49
looking quality mate as always are you taking it to pod and national day this year when you gonna make my surrey meets ???? :agree:

Cheers Phil:D

Pod is unlikely mate, but I fully intend on national day & camp up this year:agree:

As for Surrey, give me some sunlight & give me some dry weather and I'm there:wasntme: but yeah seriously, just waiting on the nights to lengthen and the weather to improve and I'll be down:agree: enjoy summer nights being outside, when its like this I can't be fooked to do anything:D

Wallace
28-03-2013, 20:54
Had some foooooking rare rays of sunshine today and got home early, so took the 5 for a spin:smokin:

stuherts also helped me out removing a broken wheel nut:mad::laugh:

All in all cars running really well:agree:

As with all 5's still got a list as long as my arm of things to do but as when i can be arsed:wasntme:

cheers for looking:agree:

LiamR
29-03-2013, 12:19
I still love how your car looks mate. Top job :)

Jimmy5
29-03-2013, 12:33
Lovely 5 Wallace - looks amazing and sits perfectly on those turbines. :agree:

What suspension setup are you using? Have read konis in your thread but not what springs.

philr5t
29-03-2013, 14:48
Looks really stunning mate well done for carrying on with it rather than selling it looks amazing mate love the wheels to :agree:

Wallace
29-03-2013, 18:49
Cheers fella's:D

it probably looks at its best cause all ive been doing is cleaning it recently due to this ****e weather we're getting:mad:

As to the suspension set-up, its koni all round - set at the softest for the minute, im happy to sacrifice handling for a bit more comfort:agree: -

The springs come from a company called: Lesore foeres (french manufacturer) spelt something like that! and are a 35mm drop or supposed to be anyway as it does sit a little higher than my set-up before, Koni UK got me the springs but they arent available anymore otherwise they would have been offered during the group-buy, i got one of the last few sets kicking about.

Added a few pics of the shocks before, and the new Konis so you might be able to see the slight differences in springs:agree:

Wallace
29-03-2013, 18:50
:laugh::laugh:

or not:laugh: couple of the pic are worthless:wasntme: but you get the idea with shocks off the car:agree:

Jimmy5
29-03-2013, 18:58
:laugh::laugh:

or not:laugh: couple of the pic are worthless:wasntme: but you get the idea with shocks off the car:agree:

Cheers for letting me know the secrets of your suspension setup :agree:

Id love to get a set of konis for mine but just alot of money!

As said before great looking car.

Wallace
29-03-2013, 18:59
Looks really stunning mate well done for carrying on with it rather than selling it looks amazing mate love the wheels to :agree:

Any update on yours Phil?

Wallace
29-03-2013, 19:02
Cheers for letting me know the secrets of your suspension setup :agree:

Id love to get a set of konis for mine but just alot of money!

As said before great looking car.

Agreed its alot of money, especially when your mid flow getting your back to scratch - but even the sets in the club shop are cheap compared to what the other distributors sell them for.................but completley get the money thing - im meant to be saving for a wedding but just cant help myself:wasntme:

And thank you:agree: appreciate the positive comments:agree::agree:

Jonny5
29-03-2013, 21:43
Car looks really nice mate :)
Is that a knight rider strobe i spy under the number plate :D

Wallace
29-03-2013, 22:11
Cheers Jonny:agree:

And yeeeeeeeeap it is:D:D:D:wasntme::D

Wallace
13-04-2013, 19:48
Been off work and house bound the last week so bought a few bits and bobs to cheer me up:D

Bit of cosmetic improvement, slowly its getting fresher and fresher:agree:

Changed the rear lights over for a set i sprayed probably 3years ago:wasntme: but happy with them think they look pretty:smokin:

Wallace
13-04-2013, 19:50
Just a couple of further randoms for us picture whores:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Slammed 66
13-04-2013, 20:12
Very nice. Those rear lights really suit it. What was used to paint them?

Congrats! It gets the 'slammed 66 seal of approval' :D

Wallace
13-04-2013, 21:36

Just a real light mist of red rattle can light spray, then once again just a real light mist of clear lacquer.

shaggy
13-04-2013, 22:22
This is one lucky 5 and shes looking super sexy. Keep up the good work mate.:agree:

Wallace
13-04-2013, 23:39
This is one lucky 5 and shes looking super sexy. Keep up the good work mate.:agree:

Nice one Dave:agree:

If I don't see you at a Surrey meet then National day you can have a proper butchers at last:agree:

It's definitely getting there, the pics do make it look better than up close but hopefully once I've given the paintwork some attention it'll really bring out the colour!

Looking forward to seeing yours evolve too mate:smokin:

Wallace
05-05-2013, 23:30
Another little update:)

been mainly fettling with the carb to not only look good:wasntme: but fuel right and i think ive at last cracked it:agree:

as well as that - bought a sticker for the gear knob:agree: new fog lights:agree: and im now really happy with the engine bay, just been moving pipes and generally getting it looking the way i want:agree:

next moves are new headlights,spray tow eye cover & fit a CV Boot which needs changing, then gonna overhaul the brakes, refurb caliper, new rear compensator, new brake lines etc etc

Wallace
05-05-2013, 23:31

Wallace
05-05-2013, 23:33

Nad-5GTT
06-05-2013, 16:27
Engine bays looking lovely, one of the smartest oe looking bays on here:cool:

Wallace
06-05-2013, 20:13
Engine bays looking lovely, one of the smartest oe looking bays on here:cool:

Nice one:agree:

I'm really happy with the bay now, don't wanna go over board and mod everything but I think it's got a good balance

Junglist
06-05-2013, 20:19
Another little update:)

been mainly fettling with the carb to not only look good:wasntme: but fuel right and i think ive at last cracked it:agree:

as well as that - bought a sticker for the gear knob:agree: new fog lights:agree: and im now really happy with the engine bay, just been moving pipes and generally getting it looking the way i want:agree:

next moves are new headlights,spray tow eye cover & fit a CV Boot which needs changing, then gonna overhaul the brakes, refurb caliper, new rear compensator, new brake lines etc etc

Gear knob sticker? your car looks great btw.

Wallace
06-05-2013, 22:00
There's a guy from France that sells them, got his details from mattv6

Basically a sticker of the gears marking on the gear knob:agree:

I'll upload a better pic:agree:

Wallace
21-01-2014, 18:54
Speaking of updates:laugh:

Well if you didn't see, I got married in the 5:cool::cool:

Cars been great so far:agree: few odd issues but nothing to write home about:agree:

Plans this year is to finally get my droopy doors sorted and continue to tart the car up, fuel lines, brake line, oil pressure gauge, possibly the jacking points........and fit my R19 seats that I've had for about 2years:wasntme:

Until then, just a few cheeky wedding shots:cool:

Wallace
21-01-2014, 18:54

Wallace
21-01-2014, 18:55

Jonny5
21-01-2014, 21:02
Beautifully turned out as always mate :niceone:

Wallace
24-01-2014, 18:48
Cheers Jonny:agree::D

Red October
24-01-2014, 21:33

I know its old but thats some good mates youve got there wallace!

Quality prank!

Wallace
29-01-2014, 22:23

I know its old but thats some good mates youve got there wallace!

Quality prank!

Agreed:agree: when I was rebuilding the engine, the guy that did the plane prank was an absolute geeeza and helped me out no end, although I remember coming into work and seeng his creation and pissed myself when I saw it:wasntme:

Wallace
02-02-2015, 09:11
Well that concludes my project.....................

Hopefully the guys that brought it will join the club, and then this thread can continue:agree:

We'll see.

THANK YOU EVERYONE Thats helped, taken the piss or led me up the garden path, its been great fun:cool::smokin:

Now onto the new motor:burnrubber:

:agree::agree::agree::agree::agree: