PDA

View Full Version : Wont Start

cpt chunk
06-03-2010, 14:23
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

I have recently decided to try and get my 5 going again after leaving here covered for 2 years. I had a small shunt in it and damaged the windscreen, front wing, front bumber and grill but she was running fine, i just coundnt afford to repair it..

Anyway, i have just tryed to start it and it nots starting. Its got a new battery, new plugs, leads and distributer cap, fresh oil and plenty of water..

The thing is the accelerator pedal is rock sold! i can move it on the carb but it is stiff as a m**********r and doesnt flick back into place.. I have tryed a bit of WD40 but no joy..

Im guessing its siezed. Will i need a new carb?

michael tierney
06-03-2010, 14:29
if its stiff on the carb its probably rust on the throttle spindle...not easy to free out !! but also check that ur accellerator pump lever is working(this will slow it down too).if its sat 2 years you'll need fresh petrol in the carb

cpt chunk
06-03-2010, 14:40
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Is the pump lever that little thing at the base with the spring on it? Can i just put the petrol straight into the top of the carb? I will try this tomorrow.

michael tierney
06-03-2010, 14:44
pump has a lever and spring under the carb connected to throttle,try a tiny bit of petrol down the carb while its been cranked.