PDA

View Full Version : Help...Wont start after head gasket change

Tom@SimplyAutomotive
04-03-2010, 18:19
I found out that my head gasket had gone the other day and now its all done it wont start... :sad2:

1. Had the head skimmed about 7 fow i think it worked out.
2. New headgasket added.
3. Torqed head down to about 80 n
4. Undid rocker arm slightley to get push rods back in. (have checked them also to make sure there not bent)
5. Put everything back together.
6. Added oil and water.

Now...

Im getting fuel 100%, im getting spark 100%, car turns over but there is NO sign of it wanting to start...it sometimes backfires aswell...

If anyone got help it would be much appreciated..

Thanks

Alastair
04-03-2010, 18:22
I found out that my head gasket had gone the other day and now its all done it wont start... :sad2:

1. Had the head skimmed about 7 fow i think it worked out.
2. New headgasket added.
3. Torqed head down to about 80 n
4. Undid rocker arm slightley to get push rods back in. (have checked them also to make sure there not bent)
5. Put everything back together.
6. Added oil and water.

Now...

Im getting fuel 100%, im getting spark 100%, car turns over but there is NO sign of it wanting to start...it sometimes backfires aswell...

If anyone got help it would be much appreciated..

Thanks

Sounds like ignition timing, did you remove the dizzy? Check the plug leads are on in the correct order, top one (12 o'clock) nearest rocker cover anti-clockwise goes 4,3,1,2.

Oh and once you've got it going again check your valve clearances....;)

Tom@SimplyAutomotive
04-03-2010, 18:26
Yea i removed the dizzy and replaced it in same order, cleaned sparks and checked each one and there all sparking.

Kempy
04-03-2010, 18:30
Yea i removed the dizzy and replaced it in same order, cleaned sparks and checked each one and there all sparking.

Did you remove the whole distributor or just the dizzy cap?

Tom@SimplyAutomotive
04-03-2010, 18:31
Just the dizzy cap.

ollie j
04-03-2010, 19:44
did you take the carb off the inlet manifold?

Tom@SimplyAutomotive
04-03-2010, 22:40
Yea took the carb off but did not replace the gasket, have ordered one today thoe.

Adey aka Ewok
05-03-2010, 08:02
Try reataching your ht leads 180degs out

Tom@SimplyAutomotive
05-03-2010, 17:42
I tried that also, but nothing, it doesent even sound atall like it wants to start??? :cry:

Brigsy
05-03-2010, 17:53
Pull a plug out & see if its covered in fuel, might be flooded..

If the plugs are sooted up then sometimes it doesnt take much to stop them from firing.

Tom@SimplyAutomotive
05-03-2010, 22:35
I took all 4 plugs out yesturday evening and they were wet and sotty, i cleaned them up and tried turning it over today and they were wet and sotty again.

I might try doing a compressiom test if i can find the equipment. But when i changed the head gasket everything in there seemed OK.

Rob@Backyardracing
05-03-2010, 22:37
Check Valve clearance...

Tom@SimplyAutomotive
05-03-2010, 22:39
Check Valve clearance...

Sorry, how do i do that??:confused:

Tony Walker
05-03-2010, 22:49
The rockers acting on your valves from the pushrods. Exhaust valves have a slightly bigger clearance than the inlets as the exhaust valves get hotter and expand. i cant remember what the clearance should be off the top of my head, someone will add it no doubt.

Rob@Backyardracing
05-03-2010, 22:50
Tappets... do you own a hynes manual?? might be worth getting one to help you out with it..

Shane P
05-03-2010, 22:54
Tappets... do you own a hynes manual?? might be worth getting on to help you out with it..

:agree: Follow the procedure in the Haynes manual and you cant go wrong, dont follow the clearence values stated though, as they are wrong.

TrixNFlix
05-03-2010, 23:01
Inlet 15
exhaust 20
or can go 20 on both

James5
06-03-2010, 08:44
As peeps have said above sounds like its timing related, but I would eliminate the push rod clearance first as your head has been skimmed it will be incorrect anyway. To do that you need feeler gauges, 10mm spanner and a i think its a 6m, spanner also. If you have a standard cam I tend to set all mine to 20inlet and 20 exhaust never had a problem doing it to these settings. You need to set the tappets by the rule of 9 ie number 8 valve down so you would adjust number 1, number 5 valve down so you would adjust number 4 or just follow the order in the Haynes guide.

Once done the above i would try just moving the dizzy lead order around so you have number 1 at the water pump and go aroud in the normal order from there if that makes no difference just move the number 1 to a different position but obviously movig the other lead around.

If it's still doing it might be worth setting the engine to TDC using the flywheel TDC mark to 0 on the gearbox bell housing and removing the dizzy shaft to see where the dizzy gear is sitting (Big D side should be facing the passenger side of the car). To rotate the engine use a 19mm socket on the crank pulley to turn the engine.

James5
06-03-2010, 08:45
As peeps have said above sounds like its timing related, but I would eliminate the push rod clearance first as your head has been skimmed it will be incorrect anyway. To do that you need feeler gauges, 10mm spanner and a i think its a 6m, spanner also. If you have a standard cam I tend to set all mine to 20inlet and 20 exhaust never had a problem doing it to these settings. You need to set the tappets by the rule of 9 ie number 8 valve down so you would adjust number 1, number 5 valve down so you would adjust number 4 or just follow the order in the Haynes guide.

Once done the above i would try just moving the dizzy lead order around so you have number 1 at the water pump and go aroud in the normal order from there if that makes no difference just move the number 1 to a different position but obviously movig the other lead around.

If it's still doing it might be worth setting the engine to TDC using the flywheel TDC mark to 0 on the gearbox bell housing and removing the dizzy shaft to see where the dizzy gear is sitting (Big D side should be facing the passenger side of the car). To rotate the engine use a 19mm socket on the crank pulley to turn the engine.

Tom I have Haynes and feeler gauges if you need matey:cooter:

Tom@SimplyAutomotive
06-03-2010, 17:55
:):):):):)

Sorted...I reset the valves and to be honest i dident really think that would be the cause because they were adjusted ever so slightly, anyway turned the key and she started first time!!!

Cheers guys for your help!