PDA

View Full Version : help: trying to set up boost controller

ranj
03-03-2010, 21:51
I have a GTT spider valve and cockpit boost controller .... it was setup at 12psi closed and 17psi open at manifold ....... all worked fine .... but now has gone funny .... closed the boost is still 12psi but when i now open the controller i am only getting 13psi .... i have checked all the boost pipes and t pieces and tried reseting the controller but i cant get past 13psi ...... i am running a Ktec T3 actuator .... I am out of ideas now ..... the only thing i can thing of is using a resrictor but before i do that any other ideas ????? cant figure why it worked before and now doesnt .......

Are there any advantages of running a electronic boost controller over the GTT version i have ?????

Thanks.

IANMM
04-03-2010, 09:04
faulty actuator...boost leak....

if it was me mate i would ditch the spider valve and not bother with an electrioic version...

will post up spider diagram and instructions just in case

ian

IANMM
04-03-2010, 09:05
http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww290/IANMM69/spider-1.jpg

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww290/IANMM69/spider2-1.jpg

ranj
04-03-2010, 14:51
Thanks for them instuctions ..... thats what i have been doing ..... im quite sure there is no boost leak .... how do i check for a faulty actuator ?????

I tried putting more preload on the actuator today and boost went up ... now 14psi .... so am i right in thinking that acuator is ok ???? but with spider i get 15 psi .... cant seem to bleed more than 1psi at manifold ..... might just ditch the spider and try a simple T connector in its place to see what effect that has ....

ranj
20-03-2010, 22:47
Have read them instructions again i noticed it says phone for more instructions when using a T3 actuator .... I have no idea what you would do different.

Today i took all boost hoses off and vacum pipes and took t3 actuator off too so as to start from scratch. The actuator is from k-tec but when disassembled it has a collins diaphragm so maybe its a collins actuator rebranded. Put all hoses back on and then put spider valve back on and then put some preload on actuator an tested ... i was getting 10psi ... so put more preload on and then i got 14psi i have to say it was a lot of preload to get here ...... but thats it ... no matter how much more preload i put on ... it wont go past 14psi ....... maybe its just a crap weak spring .... i have noticed forge sell stronger ones .....

Anyone else had this problem when using a t3 actuator ????????

Also can someone tell me if the pressure in the turbine housing could open the wastegate flap on its own if the spring is weak ??? I am using a garret gt28r with a smaller .49 ar/r housing ......

Have to say it doesnt seem weak when i try pulling it ............. :)

raj
20-03-2010, 22:54
ranj, the ktec actuator is actually a collins. ktec just have there name machined onto it. the actuator is a bag-o-sh1te. do yourself a favour and get hold of a genuine garrett -31

ranj
20-03-2010, 23:09
I am gonna try the stronger spring option from forge first raj as its the cheapest way ... about £12 .... if that fails then it will have to be the garret -31 actuator .... i actually have a old t2 actuator lying around that used to hold more boost and run perfectly with my spider valve ... if i get some time i might try that too just to see if it has any effect ..... according to collins website the actuator goes from 8psi to 25psi ..... i cant get nowhere over 14psi :(

Could i be missing something ???

raj
20-03-2010, 23:12
I am gonna try the stronger spring option from forge first raj as its the cheapest way ... about £12 .... if that fails then it will have to be the garret -31 actuator .... i actually have a old t2 actuator lying around that used to hold more boost and run perfectly with my spider valve ... if i get some time i might try that too just to see if it has any effect ..... according to collins website the actuator goes from 8psi to 25psi ..... i cant get nowhere over 14psi :(

Could i be missing something ???

well when i asked collins what the actuator is rated to they told me "its progressive":scratch: even after i fitted a new spring sent from them it made no difference.

Jimmy_GTT
21-03-2010, 06:48
Is it not enough if you put a T piece into the front actuator pipe and connect it to the booost controller? If the diameters of the T piece is correct than you can set nearly any boost even with the std. actuator.

ranj
26-03-2010, 14:02
Just tried the strongest spring i can get from forge , its more than twice the size of the original one but when compressed it went it ok ... initial test without a load of preload produced 14psi Manifold ... Now gonna try to get cockpit to work ....:confused:

ranj
03-05-2010, 23:28
Havent had much time lately to get cockpit controller to work but i tried today with no success .... damn thing. Screwed controller totally out and there is air coming out so it should be bleeding it but making little difference. So i compared boost readings incase i had a leak .... i am getting just under 16psi at manifold and at compressor i am getting just under 20psi .......... is 4psi drop acceptable through chargecooler , intercooler and carb ????