PDA

View Full Version : what happens with poorly turbos

djinuk
07-10-2008, 08:05
If a turbo has in and out play, would i be right in using common sence in saying the blades can come into contact with the housing and thus cause the turbo to stall, if so will this cause the boost pressure on the boot gauge to judder quite a lot, reason saying i have a turbo with a lot of play in it (this will be coming off very shortly once i know my oil pressures are good) , but when boosted on the spot the boost gauge is very erratic., the gauge is measured in psi, and on idle it sits jst below 0psi.

Sorry if the questions is common sence to most of you guys, im new with turbo's so cramming in all the info that i can.

Brigsy
07-10-2008, 11:44
A turbo even on its last legs will normally boost ok, you need a road test as testing at standstill wont give you any idea what its like really.

djinuk
07-10-2008, 11:48
looks like i best look at bringing the car out then. , the turbo smokes.. loads.

dave j gtt
07-10-2008, 13:15
looks like i best look at bringing the car out then. , the turbo smokes.. loads.

thats what happens with poorly turbos ;) they smoke

scratcher
07-10-2008, 17:13
if its smoking loads i wouldn't run it much. it'll cover your plugs with crap and can't the oil going into the engine cause it to det? or did i make that bit up :ashamed:

Markey Mark (BD)
07-10-2008, 17:39
if its smoking loads i wouldn't run it much. it'll cover your plugs with crap and can't the oil going into the engine cause it to det? or did i make that bit up :ashamed:

If its leaking out the turbine end it'll only leak oil into the exhaust, it'll just smoke loads