PDA

View Full Version : steering wheel issue

jantheeven
01-03-2010, 23:21
Hey guys... For a while now I've been having this steering wheel issue. When I apply the throttle gently, no problem, but when I slam on the accelerator abruptly, the steering wheels jerks a little to the left, in a shock. I'm not quite sure how to describe it. Hope I'm making sense! Same for when I release the throttle abruptly, it jerks to the right. So not the car itself, just the steering wheel. It's pretty annoying and an indication that something's probably worn. But what? Ideas anyone? Cheers!

Kris M
01-03-2010, 23:23
Are your engine mounts worn mate, do you have the engine steady bars in place ???

Could it be the engine hitting against the steering rack under load ??

Mart
01-03-2010, 23:24
You sure it's not just torque-steer?

If not, it's more than likely the ball-joints.

Brigsy
01-03-2010, 23:32
Check the engine mounts, tca bushes/uj on rack for wear.

Spooky
01-03-2010, 23:38
Steering column bushes?

TrixNFlix
02-03-2010, 08:55
Marts right.:agree: I had this exact problem too, it was my Bottom left hand side balljoint.Easiest job I have done on the gtt, a few bolts undone and it's off, happy days. :)

jantheeven
02-03-2010, 10:01
Marts right.:agree: I had this exact problem too, it was my Bottom left hand side balljoint.Easiest job I have done on the gtt, a few bolts undone and it's off, happy days. :)

Fantastic... I'll get to it today then ;) Thanks guys!

Tony Walker
02-03-2010, 22:02
With your steered wheels jacked up hold the wheel and try turn it yourself left and right if you do it quickly left right small movements you should feel the play it will either be wheel bearing play which will be up and down aswell as left and right. bottom ball joint play, track rod end play or steering rack end play.
good luck :)

TNT Tricky Nicky
03-03-2010, 01:00
Mine did this, it slowly got worse and the car would start pulling to the left because it was difficult to stop the steering wheel from turning, couldn't figure out what it was until the off side drive shaft snapped, fitted a new shaft, no more pull on the steering wheel

jantheeven
07-03-2010, 14:21
Replaced the left lower balljoint yesterday... the old one did look and feel kinda dodgy, but the problem is still there unfortunately. And the car doesn't pull to one side whilst driving... it's just the "shock" in the steering wheel when I abruptly put my foot down on the accelerator, or release it. Could it be the right lower balljoint then? Or the track rod ends? I don't suspect it's the steering rack or U/J, because I can't feel any play while steering... it responds right away. Wheel bearings are fine too...

Spooky
07-03-2010, 18:52
Steering column bushes?

Steering column bushes? :D

Matt Cole
07-03-2010, 19:00
Is it the steering wheel/column that moves but not actally turn? If so it sounds pretty serious and likely to be the rack brackets, bushes as said or rack related.

markey b
07-03-2010, 19:00
i was gonna say CV joint on the side that it pulls too

Mart
07-03-2010, 19:36
Always change both ball-joints at the same time...

J$£5GTT
07-03-2010, 19:47

what he means is one after the other...

:p

jantheeven
07-03-2010, 19:51

Ah... didn't know that... so you still think it's the ball joints?

Mart
07-03-2010, 20:03
It's always been the ball-joints whenever I've had a car that's done the same, but now you're saying there's a knocking noise, so I'd be tempted to take off the front shocks, and inspect the mounting plates, top hats, and rubber donuts.

And for the sake of a few quid, I'd also change that other ball-joint for peace of mind as well.

jantheeven
07-03-2010, 20:50
I didn't say there's a knocking sound... :confused:

And I already replaced the suspension top hat, strut bearing & rubber a few months ago :agree: