PDA

View Full Version : white smoke

scratcher
06-10-2008, 22:16
i done a search for this first but drew a blank....
when i start the car from cold theres a bit of white smoke from the exhaust so water is coming from somewhere, after around 27 seconds it clears up and all is fine :confused: it doesn't do it if the cars been run and started up again.
could the turbo be on its last legs and the water jacket leaking till its a teeny bit warm?
or is it likely to be headgasket going?

cheers for your help :agree:

Ross99
06-10-2008, 22:25
condensation, blimey 27 seconds is acurate lol!

mate its prob just the hot air coming from the engine hitting the cold air in the pipe, which will contain moisture.

if you have mayo under the header tank cap and oil cap, or car is loosing ooddles of power or your coolent is going down faster than a polish whore, then your in the poo.

scratcher
06-10-2008, 22:32
your coolent is going down faster than a polish whore, then your in the poo.

:laugh::laugh: haha. na, the coolant isn't going down, the smoke is fairly thick though, like the front door has vanished thick, thats why i didn't think of condensation. could that really be that bad?

Ross99
06-10-2008, 22:56
well cold morinings my car is quite bad, but its running quite rich at the moment, its a possibility, but if you have no mayo no coolent loss i doubt its hgf, as after all thats the coolent and oil mixing from the break down of the gasket which means it'd have to have gone down.

does the problem occur on nice sunny days and does it happen any other time ie after a drive then sat for 5 mins then started up again?

Adam L
06-10-2008, 23:05
During the winter I could see the condensation evaporating through the rear window for a minute or so on my Pulsar, that had the tailpipe angled upwards too.

scratcher
07-10-2008, 16:39
it doesn't do it after a run and being started up again, it done it also on a fairly warm day too :crap:
i wondered if maybe the water jacket could be on the way out in the turbo? i always expect the worst, ha.

Markey Mark (BD)
07-10-2008, 16:43
I would say it could be abit of oil in the exhaust mate coming from the turbo possibly, could be leaking out abit over night and then burninjg away when you first start up.

Oil doesn't always burn blue;)

scratcher
07-10-2008, 17:18
I would say it could be abit of oil in the exhaust mate coming from the turbo possibly, could be leaking out abit over night and then burninjg away when you first start up.

Oil doesn't always burn blue;)

cool, i'm gunna go have a look at it now and see if i can find anything i've been missing. :agree:

scratcher
07-10-2008, 18:00
i've had the exhaust apart at the turbo elbow and i can't spy any oil or moisture up there.
i had my camera ready to film the smoke so you can see what its like, turned the key.... battery is a no-show, spare battery in... even worse. this'll be on hold till i can get a charger/ jump leads which i'm hoping will be very soon :(

Ross99
07-10-2008, 19:16
dude you wont see oooodles of moisture, think cold morning what happens to windows they steam up then it runs in a water form, much the same as your pipe, the cold air obviously gets up in there and produces moisture, your simply blowing it out.

mine smoked like an indians tent, telling his mate his broadbands offline!

this time of year its concurrent BUT ANNOYING.

Brigsy
07-10-2008, 19:27
Sounds like a bit of condensation, dont worry about it. The big exhaust makes it look worse than it is, all cars do it.

scratcher
07-10-2008, 19:46
ok, cool. i feel like a right amature now :ashamed:

cheers for the advice :agree: