PDA

View Full Version : Ok so iv bought it..... now what with £1000

CHOD
26-02-2010, 14:37
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Ok so ive bought my 1st R5 GTT and im looking to make it go faster basically my initial budget at the mo is around £1k with more money flowing in every so often.

Not knowing a great deal about the 5's im a little lost as what to do. Ive never really played with cars but a friend of mine is a mechanic with a full garage who will fit and install anything i buy if needed (he runs the 200+ mph go-kart up santapod).

So please any idea's or recommendations would be great, cheers!

(this is not an everyday car for me and will generally just be taken pod and track days)

raider_gtt
26-02-2010, 14:57
start with the basics like airfilter and exhaust to start with then if this hasnt already been done

RoboEK
26-02-2010, 15:04
if its for track/weekend toy use i would start with suspention and brakes, then posably some good bucket seats. i think you'll find it will make the car instantly more fun round a track/back roads and then once you'v got useat to the handaling side THEN make it go faster.

Bigfoot
26-02-2010, 15:13
Make sure the whole car is sound first before any changes, spend money on replacing parts for new ones, things as simple as poly bushes make the car handle so much better as the old items have more than likely had it. Then give the car a good service engine wise. Make sure it is running good temperature when driving around. Then start working on braking and suspension then would look at getting a T25 turbo, sort out the fueling and get that running around 180bhp which should give a nice fun track car.

CHOD
26-02-2010, 15:49

what sort of suspension should i look for, is there anything you recommend?

I still own a scooby so understand the importance of this but is there anything you think i should look at?

incase ne1 is interested here is my scoob (467 bhp)

http://chod.250free.com/darkrm1.jpg

Trevhib
26-02-2010, 15:50
start with the basics like airfilter and exhaust to start with then if this hasnt already been done

Only change the airfilter for a K&N replacement. The original air box set up is excellent OOTB. Changing the hot air feed to a cold one using some tubing, removing the thermostatic gubbins and wrapping the airbox in something heat reflective is super cheap and very worthwhile. £35 total. Don't bin the lot for a cone filter.

For the best results with your exhaust - BMS or Big Jim cross-over pipe then a decent 2.5" sidey. £250

The right T25 turbo, 15-18psi of boost with fuelling. £500

285mm discs/pads - £100

Sticky tyres - £200

Koni yellows all round - £200

£1285 but getting decent 2nd hand gear would see you hit your target.

All IMO.

Schakal
26-02-2010, 15:52

I still own a scooby so understand the importance of this but is there anything you think i should look at?

that looks sick :agree:

where did you get the smaller bonnet vent from ??

CHOD
03-03-2010, 23:38

ebay mate, cost about 9 quid. sits perfectly over the air filter!

5alldaway
03-03-2010, 23:52
i would go with what trevhib said :agree:

5teve L
04-03-2010, 08:23
Track
Suspension, tyres, turbo, cam, cooling, strip it out.

Drag
tyres, turbo, cam, cooling, strip the fooker bare inside.

The thing is they need slightly different specs really. If you want to do both then a T25 & 285 cam will prob do you for both ok .

For drag at pod invest in some decent drag tyres (proper ones), they will drop your times alot !

CHOD
04-03-2010, 09:59

Cheers guys, this have given me some to look at!

Andrew Cooke
04-03-2010, 13:10
without knowing the car I'd say spend £500 on servicing/maintainance, and put £500 in the repair fund.

CHOD
04-03-2010, 13:17
well the to any1 who knows 5's the Reg is F666 ODX

Tony Walker
04-03-2010, 14:32
First thing to do is check all suspension/steering components, any play in these will make a massive difference when changed for new items and are only cheap things to replace. tracking is also worthwhile checking if your mate has some gauges. Steering colum bushes are also common for failing, usually the top one, easiest job in the world to change and only about £6-7 for the bush. If your steering wheel moves up and down, when turning then it is probably worn.
After these are checked, koni yellow shocks are prob best value for money upgrade for track use. Best to check your brakes are up to the job too, I think theres a calliper extender group buy at the moment. Power wise a decent t25 and your carb set up properly(see articles section for tuning carb)
Then loosing weights your other cheapest performance mod, depending on what you can afford to take out. Usually pointless having a spare wheel as the bolt that holds it up genrally is seized and you wont be able to get it off to change the wheel anyway.

Sy5GTT
04-03-2010, 15:09

Nice :agree:

CHOD
04-03-2010, 16:48
cheers 4 the advice Tony and thanx Sy

bye_all_c_ya
04-03-2010, 22:41
sell it me chod ive forgot what its like to drive a 5 lol

CHOD
05-03-2010, 14:55
haha get bent ste...... im selling to nobody!

But why i got it sooo cheap my show its head soon enuf haha!