View Full Version : snapping clutch cables

CHUNK The Goonies
24-02-2010, 11:41
I keep snapping clutch cables . ive gone through 4 cables in a year???renault ones and copy ones s makes no difference. today ive ordered another cable along with clutch pedal kit . has anyone had this problem?? by the way ive had o look and on this occasion the cable aint snapped but the white quadrant coggy thing looks like it has give up the ghost, (its not grabbing the black cog etc) has anyone done a automatic gtt :laugh::cooter:

Neak
24-02-2010, 12:06
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Yeah mate had three on the car in a year

the first time it went because the quadrant shat its last

then it went again about 3 months later because the outer had melted with the heat
from the exhaust and the water had got in and rusted it seized

driving a 5 with no clutch don't half annoy people

fingers crossed though, replaced the pedal, ratchet and cable

well routed and sleeved in silicone to protect it

been fine ever since mid august

;)

Sy5GTT
24-02-2010, 14:37
I think Renault made the angle on the quadrent too small. The new pedal you get should sort it :agree:

markey b
24-02-2010, 14:44
iirc the black quadrant with white pedal is the one you need

CHUNK The Goonies
24-02-2010, 15:20
champion the pedal i have got has a white ratched on it and a black cog? ive checked cable and its fine this time. ive ordered a kit ...what comes in it i dont kow?? it was 10.99 from local speedo shop. should be here about half 3 so ill let you know. the only thing i noticed this time was the black cog had a few teeth worn so could just be that. changed that with a new one last time just incase , should have left the old one on :cry: i wonder if i havent routed the cable through the eye on the white ratchet bit properley ???? hmmmm cheers anyway chaps. think ill try some silicone around the bits near the exhaust ect:agree:

old skool turbo power
24-02-2010, 18:26
it helps if you actually fit the cable in the correct location,there is brackets that hold the cable in situ its a bit tricky but possible if not make sure the cable is far away from the exhuast as the cable will/can tend to sit itself on the exhuast.....and yes melt then the heat will get to the cable and snap id say:(.AND always carry a spare :laugh:i find it would help saves times getting a new one.:agree:

5alldaway
24-02-2010, 18:31
in 7 years i have broke 1 cable:)

markey b
24-02-2010, 19:16
my campus would snap one every 3 months, even with a new pedal

my cabriolet snapped 2 in a week, changed the pedal and all was well

my orange one, never changed one in 5 years

my rader, also good as gold, 6 months in my ownership and no issues (touch wood)

andyrg
24-02-2010, 19:19
on the clio williams, the cable rubs the bulk head, as if you dont clip it in correcly it frays the cable.

dangerous dave
24-02-2010, 19:30
my first 5 snapped a few, biting point was all over the place and forever changing, had a valeo uprated but i think its had to be the pedal box mech fecking it all up..

i scrapped the car so that sorted that problem.. my next 2 5's have never had a problem, touch wood...:)

CHUNK The Goonies
26-02-2010, 13:21
my first 5 snapped a few, biting point was all over the place and forever changing, had a valeo uprated but i think its had to be the pedal box mech fecking it all up..

i scrapped the car so that sorted that problem.. my next 2 5's have never had a problem, touch wood...:)

i think ill pass on scrapping the car, :laugh: fitted the cable and new bits and feels much better, also clipped it in the engine mounting bracket thing. seems loads better. got spare cable as well.

CHUNK The Goonies
26-02-2010, 13:22
in 7 years i have broke 1 cable:)

cos you dont have a bad lad clutch in:laugh:

Woznaldo
27-02-2010, 07:07
Has anyone got a number for the 'clutch pedal kit'?

Nick k
27-02-2010, 15:39
Its that feeling you get when you put your foot on the clutch pedal and you hear the adjuster on the pedal go ping ping as the cable starts to let go' Your thinking of bugger' then snap! and the pedal hits the carpet and goes limp........... :)

Don't you just love renaults :D