PDA

View Full Version : Being able to Embed YouTube videos in a post

HULK
22-02-2010, 23:06
Would be great feature to be able to embed the actual image of the youtube video that you want to post in a thread.:cool:

would it be alot of work to get the tech on this website so we can do this??

markey b
24-02-2010, 19:59
should be a code to use like the [img] tags

Scoff
24-02-2010, 20:13
It's no work at all infact, the feature is there but is switched off. We switched it off (or rarther we never enabled it) because allowing HTML on a public-ish forum is extreemely risky. invariably people will misuse it, weather they intend to or not. It would cause a multitude of problems. There would be no way of allowing only youtube code, for example.

HULK
24-02-2010, 21:24
ahh I see, its a good feature though and works well on cliosport, I understand that there is a certain risk involved that someone may post something offensive to others, but surely this is highly unlikely on a site dedicated to renault turbo cars that this would happen, unless someone wants to be really un-popular with everyone else :rolleyes:

maybe we could have a weeks trial or something and see how we get on?? :sos:

Scoff
24-02-2010, 21:27
Thats what people thought with the last website, but still members managed to fill their profiles with unsuitable HTML, some of which so bad that it prevented them or anyone else accessing it in order to remedy it or change basic details :D :crap:

I didn't know cliosport allowed that - are you able to post "any" HTML and it'll proccess it ? Maybe they've found a solution to allow only youtube (etc) type embeds. I'd need more info on that one to decide if it's something we could add, or not.

HULK
24-02-2010, 22:03
I think it is mostly youtube vids that are embedded on cliosport, the only others i have seen is embedded images of what people have saved of there own in car footage they have saved on photobucket etc..

All in all it seems to work really well on Cliosport, infact i would say nearly a third of all threads posted would probably contain a you tube embed somewhere

Only an idea Scoff, just think it would be a great feature on the site and make threads a bit more colourfull and exciting. If its not much work to turn on we could certainly see how it pans out, cant see that much risk involved as there is still nothing to stop the small minority of noobs posting an image or a link of anything they want

will leave it with you. :worship:

Scoff
24-02-2010, 22:15
Yeah, it'll definately be cool if it all went to plan, but I really can't switch the full HTML support on else all hell will break loose on the forum, we've seen it all before. I think cliosport must have some system that allows only a limited use of HTML, which might be fine. Our option is a simple ON/OFF for all HTML - which would mean we were wide open for code abuse.

If anyone happens to know anything about cliosport's HTML policy then I'd be happy to hear about it and I'll see if we can enable something similar.

Andrew Cooke
24-02-2010, 22:24
apart from having a picture with a grey triangle in it is there an advantage over a link?

Embedded pictures and HTML are fine until someone replies and leaves the images in the reply - one of my pet internet hates :disagree: my scroll finger only has so much in it before RSI sets in ;)

Ian S
25-02-2010, 00:27
Answer = employ a free spinning wheel mouse :)

Ian S
25-02-2010, 00:28
all hell will break loose on the forum,

I seem to recall having to delete someone account in order to unlock the whole website one time as the html in his name field had jammed it!

Trevhib
25-02-2010, 09:23
Thats what people thought with the last website, but still members managed to fill their profiles with unsuitable HTML, some of which so bad that it prevented them or anyone else accessing it in order to remedy it or change basic details :D :crap:

Ahahahaha. I remember. Loads of members were at it. Why can't people leave things alone, especially when they don't have the skills to successfully meddle, lol?

Some folk had altered their profiles so much and c*cked it up so badly the information was barely comprehensible. I didn't realise it had gone to the point of being irrevocable. :laugh: Numpties.

It became ridiculous, I can fully understand why the door is closed to that stuff these days.

Trevhib
25-02-2010, 09:29
I seem to recall having to delete someone account in order to unlock the whole website one time as the html in his name field had jammed it!

http://www.digitalbricabrac.com/gifs/Worf%20Laughing.gif

Ian S
25-02-2010, 13:20
LOL, yes maybe he was the culprit :laugh:

Kenobi
25-02-2010, 15:01
Can we please have signatures like every other forum ever made. :agree:

Scoff
25-02-2010, 20:07
Can we please have signatures like every other forum ever made. :agree:

People who like to see their name in lights, their website advertised or their cars perfomance publiciced like to have that junk appended to their posts. Everyone but the author will hate it. Who ever said to anyone (and ment in sincerley): "hey, I really like reading the same egocentric drivel each time you post" ?

I think what makes this forum better than most is people usually only say something when they have something usefull to say, and not just just a 'bump', worthless comment or a ":agree:" with the sole end being to air their signature again.

D4WNO
25-02-2010, 20:09
I think the forum is FAR better off without it, I feel they are uneccessary anyway.

JRP
25-02-2010, 20:14
Can we leave the website as it is ? i hate the laoding times of some peoples funky moving prfile pics on ther sites etc site works well when its not down...

Wont youtube direct things make the site slower etc etc

tiff_lee
25-02-2010, 21:46
Like others here I personally prefer it without embedded youtube vids and sigs they just add unnecessary clutter to thread.

As for quoting pics I'd have to agree Andrew extremely annoying, someone quoting several pics to say 'nice'

Ian S
25-02-2010, 22:24
People who like to see their name in lights, their website advertised or their cars perfomance publiciced like to have that junk appended to their posts. Everyone but the author will hate it. Who ever said to anyone (and ment in sincerley): "hey, I really like reading the same egocentric drivel each time you post" ?

I think what makes this forum better than most is people usually only say something when they have something usefull to say, and not just just a 'bump', worthless comment or a ":agree:" with the sole end being to air their signature again.
:agree:

Really can make a thread hard to read.

We have a pretty good profile area with this site for people to show their stuff.

Ian S
25-02-2010, 22:27
Like others here I personally prefer it without embedded youtube vids and sigs they just add unnecessary clutter to thread.

As for quoting pics I'd have to agree Andrew extremely annoying, someone quoting several pics to say 'nice'

Post 12 was funny though.

tiff_lee
25-02-2010, 23:36
Post 12 was funny though.
Oh yea very fitting I wasn't digging at that just meant in general on other forums.