PDA

View Full Version : new engine

mezza85
06-10-2008, 19:42
do you think i should a 2.0l turbo lump in my 5 if anyones got one and wants to sell it let me know

dave j gtt
06-10-2008, 19:45
no , unless your pockets are lined and you cant work on the cj1.

Markey Mark (BD)
06-10-2008, 19:47
do you think i should a 2.0l turbo lump in my 5 if anyones got one and wants to sell it let me know

Yeah why not;) Be an interesting project to do.

You don't have to start with a Williams/Megane 2.0l, you could alsways use the 1.8 out of the clio/19 as there more easier to find and cheaper.

mezza85
06-10-2008, 19:50
im trying to get a 19 or 21 turbo to do the conversion

dave j gtt
06-10-2008, 19:51
thats my point mark why swap for a weaker/slower engine, the gtt engine is as good as they get, no hidden waterpump and cam belt. easy to work on less thing to go wrong. and less hassel and cost to fix and moddify :cool:

dave j gtt
06-10-2008, 19:53
there is a r19 sallon 1.8 16v no mot or tax just ran out, all runs and drive alright, £200 just down the street , was thinking the other day and got a 405 td instead ;)

mezza85
06-10-2008, 19:54
im going to do a full rebuild first before i put it in and tune it up abit

Markey Mark (BD)
06-10-2008, 19:56
thats my point mark why swap for a weaker/slower engine, the gtt engine is as good as they get, no hidden waterpump and cam belt. easy to work on less thing to go wrong. and less hassel and cost to fix and moddify :cool:

I can see your point mate but the 16v lump in my eye is stronger, more realiable and can get more power out of it with less boost and cost. Don't lket the thought of a cambelt scare you and the water pump thankfully is still on the outside of the engine, not hidden away under the cambelt.

Markey Mark (BD)
06-10-2008, 19:58
im going to do a full rebuild first before i put it in and tune it up abit

Its worth giving it a checkover before it goes in.

Markey Mark (BD)
06-10-2008, 19:59
im trying to get a 19 or 21 turbo to do the conversion

A 21 lump isn't going to go in so wouldn't bother looking at them mate.

Tiny Tim
A 21 lump isn't going to go in so wouldn't bother looking at them mate.

Yes it would... just not in the front :eek:

mezza85
will do cheers for that

Markey Mark (BD)
06-10-2008, 20:00

Yeah true Tim, anything is possible if you try hard enough:D

Think he was thinking of more just dropping it straight in the front

Mike Wilson@ PCS
06-10-2008, 20:02

there was a reno mechanic in kirkcaldy that put one in the front , made a space frame and every thing it was different , just stick it in the back

Andrew Cooke
06-10-2008, 20:04
Yeah true Tim, anything is possible if you try hard enough:D

Think he was thinking of more just dropping it straight in the front

bugger, I was all excited about a mid-engined conversion :(

somebody graft the front of a 21T into the back of a 5 before I die, and I'm not talking about shunting a 21 into the back of a 5 on a track day.

raj
06-10-2008, 20:05

yes it will.........

if you fancy cutting into the cabin to house the gearbox:D

im actually suprised nobody has done anything like this as it is possible. obviously cost is an issue.

Tiny Tim
06-10-2008, 20:07
somebody graft the front of a 21T into the back of a 5 before I die, and I'm not talking about shunting a 21 into the back of a 5 on a track day.

Been done ages ago Andy... you not seen it?

Obviously not.... white wide-arched GTT? With a cage... of sorts?

Markey Mark (BD)
06-10-2008, 20:09
bugger, I was all excited about a mid-engined conversion :(

Hmmm, wonder how much wider the 21 is to the 5?:)

All seriousness thats what i'd do as that way you'd use as many standard renault parts as possible

dave j gtt
06-10-2008, 20:09
look at the 1/4 mile board , 1.4 does very well.

only good thing about new engine is more down pressure on the front, but is it a good this :confused: dose it out way the bad points, extra weight wil cause :confused:

and if you throw a fair few quid at it, and know what your doing more power. :)

either way if i had the money, i wouldnt do it to my gtt , i'd get another and built it with volvo engine or 172 engine and turbo it :cool::cool:

Andrew Cooke
06-10-2008, 20:11
Been done ages ago Andy... you not seen it?

Obviously not.... white wide-arched GTT? With a cage... of sorts?

I thought that was a T2 with a 21T engine fitted

Markey Mark (BD)
06-10-2008, 20:12
look at the 1/4 mile board only good thing about new engine is more down pressure on the front, but is it a good this :confused: dose it out way the bad points, extra weight wil cause :confused:

and if you throw a fair few quid at it, and know what your doing more power. :)

either way if i had the money, i wouldnt do it to my gtt , i'd get another and built it with volvo engine or 172 engine and turbo it :cool::cool:

Only reason most of the cars on the quarter mile board are C1J is back then most people didn't do engine conversions, i'd say in the next year or so that'll change you'll see more conversion cars on there.

Yeah they are abit heavier on the front but i haven't heard of any bad reports on handling from people with the bigger engines

Andrew Cooke
06-10-2008, 20:23
if 1/4 mile is you thing look at Scoff. He's spent years trying things with the C1J, and got it up to a very creditable 116mph trap. With comparatively little work his 172 engined car is at 127mph. That's a huge improvement, and there is masses more to come, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw 135mph traps next year.

jamiew
06-10-2008, 20:32
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

had a look at the 1\4 mile board and its very inpressive.what sort of power are they running to do 12 sec quarters.suppose they will have a good power to weight ratio;)

Markey Mark (BD)
06-10-2008, 20:35

had a look at the 1\4 mile board and its very inpressive.what sort of power are they running to do 12 sec quarters.suppose they will have a good power to weight ratio;)

Most of the cars with C1J's at the top of the table are running around 230-250 bhp, you can tell who has more power by the terminal speed of the run (i:e the mph) but there are one or two with abit more:D

Rob@Backyardracing
06-10-2008, 20:43
if 1/4 mile is you thing look at Scoff. He's spent years trying things with the C1J, and got it up to a very creditable 116mph trap. With comparatively little work his 172 engined car is at 127mph. That's a huge improvement, and there is masses more to come, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw 135mph traps next year.

I back that.... Give it a few years and id say 140+ traps.... One reason i cant decide the next step for me. Either battle with an efi C1j for a 125 trap (which i think is poss) or just move on to somthing bigger with more power(cant decide which lump). The C1j is very cheap to fix when goes wrong thats the only advantage. But id say there wont be many C1js left at the top of that board in the next few years for sure....

DaveAVT
06-10-2008, 21:20
The C1j is very cheap to fix when goes wrong thats the only advantage. But id say there wont be many C1js left at the top of that board in the next few years for sure....

But the same time, Scoffs engine (bar changing the crank) is bog standard internally, so even if you killed one, 172 engines can be picked up for very little now...

Scoff
06-10-2008, 21:29
I know where your comming from Rob. There's still times I wish I'd plodded on with C1J because I don't consider my car to be a GTT anymore. It would have ment so much more to me to have gone even 123mph in a C1J than do 127mph in my 16v. Sence of achievment would have been alot greater. Hardly anyone bats an eyelid when they see me do those traps with a 16v engine.

With you Rob it maybe shouldn't be so hard to make your mind up though. You have a clio, so putting a 16v clio engine back in almost makes the car more of what it was originally. If you had your C1J in a GTT then you'd have the same feelings I have, possibly.

But, ultimately if you want to go fast then you need 16v. I've moved on from the GTT, I want to compete with the other really fast FWD lads, and I couldn't do that with C1J.

jamiew
06-10-2008, 21:43

are you guys not happy with 12 sec 1/4:eek: seen some of you guys doing 11s in the table now thats quik.my mate had a 400 horse scoob and only managed a 12.1 and that was 4wd.

anyone got a vid of a 5gtt doin the 1/4 in sub 13s

Andrew Cooke
06-10-2008, 21:50

are you guys not happy with 12 sec 1/4:eek: seen some of you guys doing 11s in the table now thats quik.my mate had a 400 horse scoob and only managed a 12.1 and that was 4wd.

anyone got a vid of a 5gtt doin the 1/4 in sub 13s

pah 12's, wouldn't get out of bed for a 12

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=PhbIwiV0FOc

if you want to play with the big boys you have to be thinking about how to do 9s

jamiew
06-10-2008, 22:01

yeah you need deep pockets for that mate.very impressed with the times though for a 1400cc motor anyone run at totb this year????

Rob@Backyardracing
06-10-2008, 22:03
I know where your comming from Rob. There's still times I wish I'd plodded on with C1J because I don't consider my car to be a GTT anymore. It would have ment so much more to me to have gone even 123mph in a C1J than do 127mph in my 16v. Sence of achievment would have been alot greater. Hardly anyone bats an eyelid when they see me do those traps with a 16v engine.

With you Rob it maybe shouldn't be so hard to make your mind up though. You have a clio, so putting a 16v clio engine back in almost makes the car more of what it was originally. If you had your C1J in a GTT then you'd have the same feelings I have, possibly.

But, ultimately if you want to go fast then you need 16v. I've moved on from the GTT, I want to compete with the other really fast FWD lads, and I couldn't do that with C1J.

Yep if i stick with the c1j i feel like i need GT shell to go.... visa versa....:crap:

Rob@Backyardracing
06-10-2008, 22:12
pah 12's, wouldn't get out of bed for a 12

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=PhbIwiV0FOc

if you want to play with the big boys you have to be thinking about how to do 9s

Ai Ants all for the d16 civic :)... looking through the honda tech sites in states it doesnt seem a bad idea..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YccjIP9Qlsc&feature=related

minty83
06-10-2008, 22:13
I back that.... Give it a few years and id say 140+ traps.... One reason i cant decide the next step for me. Either battle with an efi C1j for a 125 trap (which i think is poss) or just move on to somthing bigger with more power(cant decide which lump).

got matts old clio vag lump here;)