PDA

View Full Version : standard boost hoses

jonnyshaw49
22-02-2010, 20:51
hi i currently have samco red boost hoses and i want black but they are well dear lol so thinking of buying some brand new o.e ones but do they restrict any boost flow?? or do people just use the aftermarket ones for the looks?? would they be capable of 220 bhp?? thanks

Kris M
22-02-2010, 20:55
nothing wrong with the oe ones, Ive seen old rubber. webbed oe boost hoses expand quite alot with high boost. Not sure what massive amounts of boost people have run through them though ???

TrixNFlix
22-02-2010, 20:59
Why dont you just make your own, with aluminium piping and black silcone hose?

The new Bill J
22-02-2010, 21:14
hi i currently have samco red boost hoses and i want black but they are well dear lol .....

Absolutely hilarious! :scared:

jonnyshaw49
22-02-2010, 21:20
i was going to do that but dont want all the joints and jubilee clips about want it to look neat and near enuff oe so bought all black silicone hoses and just got a few tidy chrome bits, if i ever crash lol dont want insurance to think its highly modified. do you need to declare oil coolers and alloy rads and intercoolers or could you get away with saying there just better made??

jonnyshaw49
22-02-2010, 21:21
whats with sarcasm?? imjust laughing at me being a tight sod not wanting to splash out on 2 hoses even though im at 6 grand already

TrixNFlix
22-02-2010, 21:24
i was going to do that but dont want all the joints and jubilee clips about want it to look neat and near enuff oe so bought all black silicone hoses and just got a few tidy chrome bits, if i ever crash lol dont want insurance to think its highly modified. do you need to declare oil coolers and alloy rads and intercoolers or could you get away with saying there just better made??

I think your fecked to be honest in a crash if you havn't declared everything to your insurance company. They will get out of it.

jonnyshaw49
22-02-2010, 21:28
true but im only 22 got 4 years no claims and its 900 fully comp as an aditional vehicle standard car, ill be running 220 hp and have alloys exhaust ,avo adjustables,tints and then all the other chrome bits under bonnet ,plus leather interior and gauges and wideband on dash, think im cream crackerd!!!

The new Bill J
22-02-2010, 21:29
if i ever crash lol

Now that's really side-splitting!

car.crash
22-02-2010, 21:30
put the car on a classic policy, then with the spare cash you can buy boost hoses and water hoses.

jonnyshaw49
22-02-2010, 21:30
sure is!!!!

TrixNFlix
22-02-2010, 21:31
put the car on a classic policy, then with the spare cash you can buy boost hoses and water hoses.

normaly have to be at least 25 for classic

car.crash
22-02-2010, 21:32
normaly have to be at least 25 for classic

hic gave me classic at 24.

JRP
true but im only 22 got 4 years no claims and its 900 fully comp as an aditional vehicle standard car, ill be running 220 hp and have alloys exhaust ,avo adjustables,tints and then all the other chrome bits under bonnet ,plus leather interior and gauges and wideband on dash, think im cream crackerd!!!

Yep declare it all or its worthless... only good if you get stopped by a ****stable...

Even get stopped by vosa for an indepth look and your car will become a can of rubicon.... mmmmm passsion fruit rubi....

Ohh well upto you... i like to play safe, insurance companys are creepy slim filled places any way out and they take it.....

jonnyshaw49
i asked my insurance for classic policy they sed its not classed as a classic.

TrixNFlix
22-02-2010, 21:33
i asked my insurance for classic policy they sed its not classed as a classic.
Alot of companys class a car over 15 years as a classic.

car.crash
22-02-2010, 21:35
you should have dialled on then.
jrp i have had a vosa test staion put in 5 mins from my house and pass the vosa man daily, i hope they dont pull the 5 apart one day :sad2:

Smokey
i tried classic insurance when i insured mine last october they didnt wana know as i was only 21 with two years no claims so i pay £1700, but i thort i mite get classic next year but obviously not if its 25.

but we will see anythings better that wat im paying at the minute it would have been more if it was monthly payments.

jonnyshaw49
do the vosa guys look into your bost pressures and turbo size and internal work do they know alot about modifying???cud you not play dumb and say it looks standard so thought it was

JRP
22-02-2010, 21:36
you should have dialled on then.
jrp i have had a vosa test staion put in 5 mins from my house and pass the vosa man daily, i hope they dont pull the 5 apart one day :sad2:

They are arseholes... stretched and fitted with a doze of power... they just want to scrap cars

car.crash
22-02-2010, 21:38
do the vosa guys look into your bost pressures and turbo size and internal work do they know alot about modifying???cud you not play dumb and say it looks standard so thought it was

i should have stated im 100% legit and declared all mods, i just dont fancy having my car ripped apart for a routinetest. they only seem interested in hgv's and moody transit vans if im honest.

raider_gtt
22-02-2010, 21:59
hi there pips right vosa would not care unless you have put a engine conv in ya car and havent said to you insur about doing so then the police would get vosa to come and look just to make sure that its done right and not boged up other than that if ya mot is up to date and tax then vosa wouldnt want to no chill out pips they are not worryed what boost you are running or what parts you have long as its all told to the insur job done next plz

JRP
22-02-2010, 22:02
hi there pips right vosa would not care unless you have put a engine conv in ya car and havent said to you insur about doing so then the police would get vosa to come and look just to make sure that its done right and not boged up other than that if ya mot is up to date and tax then vosa wouldnt want to no chill out pips they are not worryed what boost you are running or what parts you have long as its all told to the insur job done next plz

Well re read my post.. i followed the not declared by insurance by the vosa comment... next plz ''pips''

Mart
22-02-2010, 22:05
220hp? At what boost pressure? I'm guessing from the fact you want to run o.e hoses, that you'll be running an o.e position intercooler...at 220hp?

TrixNFlix
22-02-2010, 22:09
Well re read my post.. i followed the not declared by insurance by the vosa comment... next plz ''pips''

Aw john , you little monkey! :laugh:

jonnyshaw49
22-02-2010, 22:10
ill be running 20-25 psi on a bushy spec turbo by adam l -31 actuator and have a double capacity intercooler in standard position will the hoses be fine then

TrixNFlix
22-02-2010, 22:13
Think marts saying your inlet temps maybe a bit high.

JRP
22-02-2010, 22:14
Aw john , you little monkey! :laugh:

Sorry i must have been here so long im just ignored... and i laughed at mart :cry::cry:

jonnyshaw49
22-02-2010, 23:04
i thought double capacity ones were good for 30 psi?? i dont really want a front mount any ideas??

Kris M
22-02-2010, 23:08
yeah, technically they may well hold together at that sort of boost but their efficiancy wont be as good

Mart
22-02-2010, 23:10
Good luck running 30psi, and even more of that luck if running that amount of boost through an o.e position 'cooler.

Your other option is a charge-cooler.

jonnyshaw49
23-02-2010, 19:18
i didnt say i was running 30 psi i sed there meant to be capable of 30 psi, as i sed im wanting to run around 20 psi , are the o,e position double intercoolers upto the job??

Markey Mark (BD)
23-02-2010, 20:31
i didnt say i was running 30 psi i sed there meant to be capable of 30 psi, as i sed im wanting to run around 20 psi , are the o,e position double intercoolers upto the job??

Its not about how much boost it can withstand its how efficently the intercooler can cool the inlet charge, and for that sort of power level i'll be looking to get rid of the a standard placement one.

Thats just my opinion though, i'd fit front mount all day.

Which make of double capacity intercooler you got?

jonnyshaw49
23-02-2010, 20:48
its a forge one mate i dont really want to fit a front mount because dont want to cut the bumper at all and want it to stay fairly original. but if im gonna need 1 will have to get 1

Chris Hebden
23-02-2010, 20:52
2wd cossie one will work at that sort of boost pressure wont it? No need to cut the bumper for one of those

Markey Mark (BD)
23-02-2010, 20:53
its a forge one mate i dont really want to fit a front mount because dont want to cut the bumper at all and want it to stay fairly original. but if im gonna need 1 will have to get 1

Best thing to do is measure charge temps and see how they are, if they go higher then it'll need changing.

If you don't want front mount, how about Charge cooler as Mart mentioned

jonnyshaw49
23-02-2010, 21:00
i watched a vid on youtube about charge coolers vs intercoolers and the intercooler was cooler so it put me off and also when sat in trafic etc i heard the water can warm up so another off put. what temp guage do i need to buy to check the inlet temps?? i will check it and if no sufficient buy a forge front mount or similar which doesnt need bumper cutting

Markey Mark (BD)
23-02-2010, 21:05
Wouldn't bother with a forge front mount mate, i'm personally not a fan of them so would fit something else like the universal ones which in the end work out cheaper.

jonnyshaw49
23-02-2010, 21:14
do they fit behind bumper without cutting the front of bumper out.

Markey Mark (BD)
23-02-2010, 21:22
do they fit behind bumper without cutting the front of bumper out.

If you get one that fits in the gap then yes they will, could even grill mount it and still have grill on.
Just need to measure the gap you have and find a cooler within that size that will fit. Sometimes alittle cutting is involved but can still be made to look original.

firstchoicegary
23-02-2010, 21:28
my mate had a 600bhp r33 gts skyline with solid boost pipes welded, not sure how it works but cost alot and no leak risk , would that work on five??

Markey Mark (BD)
23-02-2010, 21:30
my mate had a 600bhp r33 gts skyline with solid boost pipes welded, not sure how it works but cost alot and no leak risk , would that work on five??

For the power and boost that 5's run i can't see there being much gain from using solid pipes all the way through.

firstchoicegary
23-02-2010, 21:32
thats what i thought but worth saying , , here this hes ex missus stole the car when was off the road uninsured and set fire to it , , 30k gone!! get doctor report when you meet new women!