PDA

View Full Version : New required information - Location

Scoff
21-02-2010, 18:48
Hi all

Since the user-definable area selection didn't at all go to plan (Location: pie shop... Location: under a car..) I've instead added a manditory area selection that we all need to set. You'll need to set it whenever you next edit your profile details, or the boards may prompt you to fill it in at some other point. It works just like the old forum (for those that remember it!) and is based on post code regions. There is an international option for international members (just like before) and they have the option to place their location in the user-definable section which I'll leave in place for now.

Seems a bit boring I know, but it's required if we're to get the Area Rep system working again. This is the first step to building a map of where our members are.

Any problems, let me know.

Chris (webmaster for those that don't know)

clee
21-02-2010, 18:56
Done .
Are you sending out a mass email about this ?

Big Steve - Raider
21-02-2010, 22:16
:niceone:

HULK
21-02-2010, 22:49
Cant wait for this to be up and running again, this was the best thing from the old site

:yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah:

Tony Walker
21-02-2010, 23:10
Yeah i used to like to see what the members in my area had been up to, or new members in the area. great tool for the site.

Spooky
21-02-2010, 23:20
Yeah i used to like to see what the members in my area had been up to, or new members in the area. great tool for the site.

:agree::agree::agree:

RoboEK
22-02-2010, 00:02
When its all up and running will there be any way of defining out location more spercificly i.e to a town rather than just a post code prefix? a bit like a frap map.

Scoff
22-02-2010, 01:17
When its all up and running will there be any way of defining out location more spercificly i.e to a town rather than just a post code prefix? a bit like a frap map.

Well you can define whatever you like in the "custom" location setting, to let people know exactly where you are if you choose. Problem was, that was abused before with people entering stupid locations so that can't remain as the main location identifier anymore. Hopefully most people will put a town, etc, into the custom location field.

I'll also be editing the forum templates to show the new postal region next to posts, inplace of the current definable (custom) location. It's something I miss from the old forum, being able to see at a glance where someone is located :)

Scoff
22-02-2010, 01:23
Done .
Are you sending out a mass email about this ?

Nope, hadn't planned on it - the forum won't let you do anything until you've submitted the required information, so we'll get everyones location the next time they log on. Maybe once the A/R system is working, or closer to working we can send some emails so that infrequent visitors can update their details and check the new system out while they're at it :)

markey b
22-02-2010, 02:04
done. when will area reps be selected?

Os8472
22-02-2010, 08:27
I've done but you'll be confused by my mine, although I'm techniclly in norfolk I have a suffolk postcode, the boarder goes right across my front lawn

clee
22-02-2010, 08:32
Which county is your postbox/flap in ?