PDA

View Full Version : page linking

Smokey
18-02-2010, 19:48
As a relatively new member I think the site is great, very informative and lots of help at hand.
Just as a suggestion would it be possible that when you mention someones user name in a thread they get a notification about the thread.
Like on facebook for example when you write @mathew hall in your status that person would get the notification.

Thanks mat.

D4WNO
18-02-2010, 19:48
Not really sure on the usefulness of this? :confused:

Smokey
18-02-2010, 20:02
just an idea, the uses are just the same as f.b i spose. Like for example if someone has posted a positive thread about you or negative even you might not know weather someone is singing your praises you slagging you off, unless you regularly checked all posts.

Mat

TrixNFlix
18-02-2010, 20:10
I think thats a nice idea Mathew, :agree:, not sure how easy it is to put into practice though. Scoff is probably thinking :sad2:, :laugh:

D4WNO
18-02-2010, 20:25
See what you mean but it all depends on someone's name being spelt exactly right

Smokey
18-02-2010, 20:30
i spose, but on f.b it works on the basis that if you have the person in your friends list as you start typing it predicts who you are going to select then you choose who you want to link the page too, wouldnt it be possible to do the same so as you start typing it predicts who you want to select from all the members on the site.

Mat

TrixNFlix
18-02-2010, 20:37
i spose, but on f.b it works on the basis that if you have the person in your friends list as you start typing it predicts who you are going to select then you choose who you want to link the page too, wouldnt it be possible to do the same so as you start typing it predicts who you want to select from all the members on the site.

Mat
Remember though dude, there is just one person who builds this website, and for free, in his own time. :eek:Facebook have loads working on it and get paid :D

Smokey
19-02-2010, 08:23
very true, but just a suggestion for future as it would be benificial.

Mat

Smokey
30-03-2010, 08:11
i sound like a facebook whore, another idea, available chat so you can talk to them directly instead of having to keep private messaging in them would be good to i think.

benj88
30-03-2010, 08:29
Set up an rtoc facebook or just add people off here on facebook? Lol

Smokey
31-03-2010, 13:41
makes sense but they might not have facebook or be signed in on both.

Ian S
31-03-2010, 13:53
How many friends do you have in face book?

Perhaps just a few.

To do what you suggest the entire RTOC membership list would have to be referenced to every word everyone started to type in case was a name of a member.

I.e., the same as having perhaps 1000 friends in your face book list.

I expect that would slow down the RTOC site.

Even if it just scanned the data base for every time someone typed a @

Ian S
31-03-2010, 14:03
i sound like a facebook whore, another idea, available chat so you can talk to them directly instead of having to keep private messaging in them would be good to i think.

For that there's msn, or whatever.

We are not able to develop the site at the moment as Scoff does not have enough spare time and we have no other people volunteering to help develop and write php code or even to find a sufficiently capable programmer we can pay to assist Scoff.

We need someone to help move the MS SQL over to a new server.