PDA

View Full Version : f#?k it

robbie506
16-02-2010, 18:52
just driving to mc d's and my oil light came on :confused: ok i thought i will have a look at that in the morning. driving back light still on going round the roundabout just as i came off heard a knocking sound by the time i could pull over the knocking was quite bad:mad:.

checked and there was no oil left and i can now say bye bye to my big end bearings and knowing my luck the bloody crank shaft cant regrind it as i have already had it done once.

why now going to scotland at the weekend.
gonna have to take the pug and get the 5 towed home:cry:

anybody got a set of bearings and a crank shaft to save me going to mk to get one from me mums.

Mart
16-02-2010, 18:57
Oil light comes on for a reason (low pressure or lack of oil), hence not wise to ignore it & carry on driving with it illuminated :rolleyes:

Find the reason why it's come on before you start swapping parts out.

Kris M
16-02-2010, 19:00
dont mean to sound rude but didnt you think to stop as soon as the oil light came on and check the oil level ??? Often when the oil light comes on its desperatly low, or it could just be an electrical problem ( not in this case by the sound of it )

by continuing to drive it you`ve probably done more damage than if you had stopped straight away

Dont wish to sound horrible with the above post..... i hope you get it sorted :)

JRP
16-02-2010, 19:00
hmmm warning light for a reason... find route cause before you change parts.... where did your oil go ??

m5tt
16-02-2010, 19:01
:disagree: Aww Man thats gutting ..!!

robbie506
16-02-2010, 19:06
oil all over the road left a trail and a big ass puddle think my sump has leaked some how i was on my way back to work couldent just pull over hence why i never stoped

roll on the morning to see whats happend.

on the plus side good excuse to rebuild the engine from the bottom up.

m5tt
16-02-2010, 19:09
''One step back - two steps forward'' :coffee:

BriC
16-02-2010, 19:20
Fraid to say you've only got yourself to blame if you ignored the warning light.

robbie506
16-02-2010, 19:24
Fraid to say you've only got yourself to blame if you ignored the warning light.

it literally came on about 5-10 mins before it all went tits up

JRP
16-02-2010, 19:33

5 to 10 mins is about 5 to 10 years in oil warning light terms

robbie506
16-02-2010, 19:35
5 to 10 mins is about 5 to 10 years in oil warning light terms

nope it was on me old 5 but lookin after this one cost me enough!!! literally just left a trail then droped it all.

Mart
16-02-2010, 19:37
5-10 seconds is sufficient enough to cause damage, let alone that in minutes.

I remember an arrogant feckwit in an old Jaguar at Nurburgring a couple of years back, who was driving his car on track fully aware that it was billowing blue smoke/losing oil. He seemingly didn't give a toss about it though...that was until his engine let go altogether 3/4's of the way round, dumping what was left of its oil onto the track, only for a lad following on a motorbike behind him to hit the patch, skid out of control, and resultantly crash head-first into the armco. He apparently died on impact.

Next time your oil light comes out, use a bit of common sense.

JRP
16-02-2010, 19:39
nope it was on me old 5 but lookin after this one cost me enough!!! literally just left a trail then droped it all.

What do you mean nope... that 5 to ten mins by the sounds of it has shagged your bottom end.

Doesnt matter how much you looked after it, could be brand new. an oil warning light means stop and make checks.

nope me.... pffffffffft:disagree:

robbie506
16-02-2010, 19:45
i was drivin to maccys in the dark it came on after the drive through it went never thought to much of it as on my old 5 it came on and off all the time.

Adey aka Ewok
16-02-2010, 19:50

I remember an arrogant feckwit in an old Jaguar at Nurburgring a couple of years back, who was driving his car on track fully aware that it was billowing blue smoke/losing oil. He seemingly didn't give a toss about it though...that was until his engine let go altogether 3/4's of the way round, dumping what was left of its oil onto the track, only for a lad following on a motorbike behind him to hit the patch, skid out of control, and resultantly crash head-first into the armco. He apparently died on impact.

aww yeah man i remember that, didnt the police take the jag driver away too?

BriC
16-02-2010, 19:52

As said above, it can take just seconds, let alone minutes to do ireversable damage. Saying otherwise or trying to convince yourself otherwise is just ignorant.

Ricardo
16-02-2010, 19:54
I think he gets the message :coffee:

robbie506
16-02-2010, 19:56
As said above, it can take just seconds, let alone minutes to do ireversable damage. Saying otherwise or trying to convince yourself otherwise is just ignorant.

when the light came on i was worried but as soon as the knocking started the engine was switched off well about 30 seconds after the roundabout.

The new Bill J
What a thread - Unbelievable :scared:

robbie506

cheers

Penfold aka The Dealer
16-02-2010, 19:59
aww yeah man i remember that, didnt the police take the jag driver away too?

Yeh he did and got done for manslaughter :eek:

Ricardo
16-02-2010, 20:01

Was that at the No Bling 07 tour?

robbie506
16-02-2010, 20:01

i heard of that think it was on here a few weeks ago

gonna through some grit down when i finish cant get hold of any sand.

robbie506
16-02-2010, 20:41
trailer here to take me and my baby home

BriC
17-02-2010, 08:33

I don't think he did :D

It's better he learns now, so he knows not to do it in the future, should something similar happen. Think of it as constructive criticism :)

Bigfoot
17-02-2010, 09:08

I was on a lap with Alex in his CSL. Just seeing the state of the bike which was closest didn't look good. Let alone the ones which where further round the track. Plus a smashed up Porsche because of it. You need to think of others when driving, rather than just yourself, I hit a diesel/oil patch on a roundabout a few years back, was on a major one off the A12, spun it round facing the wrong direction, that definately was not fun when see oncoming traffic :(

Ricardo
17-02-2010, 12:35
I don't think he did :D

It's better he learns now, so he knows not to do it in the future, should something similar happen. Think of it as constructive criticism :)

I'm all for that but the way it was going last night i felt the bloke was gonna get lynched round his house :wasntme:

robbie506
18-02-2010, 09:44
think everybody was a bit harsh tell me if your oil light comes on do you pull over straight away some would but i bet most of you wouldent!

well i was a cracked sump. the crank seems fine got sme new bearins comin friday so fingers crossed back on the road friday night for the drive to scotland at the weekend.

TrixNFlix
18-02-2010, 10:07
think everybody was a bit harsh tell me if your oil light comes on do you pull over straight away some would but i bet most of you wouldent!

well i was a cracked sump. the crank seems fine got sme new bearins comin friday so fingers crossed back on the road friday night for the drive to scotland at the weekend.

For something as serious as my oil light coming on I would turn my engine off straight away and pull over, then check the oil level. The damage that could be caused would make me :cry:
Anyways robbie, you won't do it again, hope you get sorted asap. :)

Nayls
18-02-2010, 11:24

i'd say 99% of people on here would stop immediately! i know i would! battery light is fair enough,but oil is like a humans blood,it needs immediate attention!

BriC
18-02-2010, 11:41

Erm.. Yes.. I would. In fact, I've had to a few times in my daily driver, because it consumes oil due to a dodgy crank case valve. I try to keep on top of it, by topping it up whenever it needs it, but sometimes the low oil light will flick on, and I pull onto the hard shoulder straight away and top it up.

Should be sorted this weekend though. New valve waiting to be fitted :D

5alldaway
18-02-2010, 11:49
ive never given the oil light a thought to be honest as it has a mind of its own but the light has never came on, but i always check my oil anyway so all good

thanks to this thread i will eagle eye the oil even more :agree:

Slim
18-02-2010, 11:51
I would... God knows if it works tho :eek::cry:

DaveMayGTT
18-02-2010, 12:02
Dont just limit it to the oil light either, anything looks wrong on your gauges then stop the car. I noticed my temp was just a tiny bit higher than normal as it had reached the 3/4 type mark which is by no means dangerous but not normal for my car and I stopped strait away. Turned out i had thrown the drive belt? that spins the water pump and as such narrowly avoided a hg or piston liner or anything else giving up on my freshly rebuilt engine. There all there for a reason and on a 5 you should look at them regularly.

5alldaway
18-02-2010, 12:06
Dont just limit it to the oil light either, anything looks wrong on your gauges then stop the car. I noticed my temp was just a tiny bit higher than normal as it had reached the 3/4 type mark which is by no means dangerous but not normal for my car and I stopped strait away. Turned out i had thrown the drive belt? that spins the water pump and as such narrowly avoided a hg or piston liner or anything else giving up on my freshly rebuilt engine. There all there for a reason and on a 5 you should look at them regularly.

thats the puppy, i spend more time looking at the temp gauge than the road, and yes my belt has thrown it self off a number of times :agree:

Slim
18-02-2010, 12:07
I dont think i know a R5 owner who isn't overly aware of the engine temp :scared:

soapymech
18-02-2010, 12:11
Dont just limit it to the oil light either, anything looks wrong on your gauges then stop the car. I noticed my temp was just a tiny bit higher than normal as it had reached the 3/4 type mark which is by no means dangerous but not normal for my car and I stopped strait away. Turned out i had thrown the drive belt? that spins the water pump and as such narrowly avoided a hg or piston liner or anything else giving up on my freshly rebuilt engine. There all there for a reason and on a 5 you should look at them regularly.did you not realise your battery light was on,thats when i know shes chewed through another fanbelt:)

5alldaway
18-02-2010, 12:11
I dont think i know a R5 owner who isn't overly aware of the engine temp :scared:

im sure theres plenty out there who dont notice it and then blame the car when it goes pete tong

robbie506
18-02-2010, 12:56
the main reason i never thought about pulling over straight away is that on my other 5 it came on all the time i have only had this one 4 weeks so thought i will look tomorrow. bloody thing.

trust i will not make this mistake again.

jesus in the seat of a 5
18-02-2010, 17:28
i'd say 99% of people on here would stop immediately! i know i would! battery light is fair enough,but oil is like a humans blood,it needs immediate attention!

i have yet to see you driving a 5......:laugh:...long enough to look at the gauges....;)

Ricardo
18-02-2010, 17:29
i have yet to see you driving a 5......:laugh:...long enough to look at the gauges....;)

I bet he can break a car quicker than it takes to let the oil run out the sump ;) :ashamed: :D

LampsR5
18-02-2010, 18:51
thats the puppy, i spend more time looking at the temp gauge than the road, and yes my belt has thrown it self off a number of times :agree:

SNAP mate thats exactly like me i wouldnt drive mine if the temp gauge wasnt working i probably spend more time looking at that than the speedo lol

BriC
18-02-2010, 20:35

:laugh: Now now Jesus, put your handbag away!

J$£5GTT
18-02-2010, 20:39
are you blonde???

:D

T.K
19-02-2010, 16:58
Life's an intelligence test. Don't fail.

robbie506
19-02-2010, 17:05
all done running great happy car again.

watchin the oil light like a hawk.

Ricardo
19-02-2010, 17:09
all done running great happy car again.

watchin the oil light like a hawk.

Check the oil level weekly or before long runs, oil changes every 3k :)

Glad to hear it's back on the road :agree:

Spooky
19-02-2010, 17:14
i only ever watch rev's...maybe look for the fuel light.

i check my car so regularly that i just forget about things like water temp, oil level/pressure...i just drive the slag hard :D