raj
14-02-2010, 12:53

BluntyR5GTT
14-02-2010, 13:10
http://www.mongooseexhausts.com/

collins website mate

Tony Walker
14-02-2010, 14:55
does it sound like its spooling up but still no pressure?? check for boost leaks in this case.

Brigsy
14-02-2010, 15:00
Any leaks on pipework/boost cct?

Markey Mark (BD)
14-02-2010, 15:04
Any leaks on pipework/boost cct?

No none at all mate, all looks good i that department

LampsR5
14-02-2010, 17:15
there isnt a problem with the intercooler somewhere only mine had a small crack in the bottom whic was hardly noticible and mine was crap until it was fixed worth a look? as silly as it sounds.

i l k e r
14-02-2010, 17:39
sounds just like the problem I'm having mate.

I even drove it with wastegate tied shut and couldn't get it to produce any boost.

car.crash
14-02-2010, 19:25
i had the same problem years ago. was a dodgy turbo although there was no play.

m5tt
14-02-2010, 19:36
Raj mate couldn't you square away an OE cooler setup ??

This way it will either signal out theres a problem with FMIC or suggest theres something else wrong ,My reason for suggesting the OE setup is of that wouldn't removing the IC set up completely Mean the turbocharger wouldn't be able to operate correctly resulting in the cause of your boosting issue still being undetectable ??

Sorry mate not trying to insult your Inteligence just trying to offer some help , All be it , it maybe rubbish :laugh:

Markey Mark (BD)
14-02-2010, 20:03
Raj mate couldn't you square away an OE cooler setup ??

This way it will either signal out theres a problem with FMIC or suggest theres something else wrong ,My reason for suggesting the OE setup is of that wouldn't removing the IC set up completely Mean the turbocharger wouldn't be able to operate correctly resulting in the cause of your boosting issue still being undetectable ??

Sorry mate not trying to insult your Inteligence just trying to offer some help , All be it , it maybe rubbish :laugh:

Think Raj means he's going to run a pipe from turbo to carb top, so this will remoive the intercooler and eliminate it. ;)

m5tt
14-02-2010, 21:42
You know when you read some thing when you come back to it and you think .... Ohhhhhhh :ashamed:

That would be one of those Classical moments :laugh:

Ashy
14-02-2010, 21:53
just bung the turbo intake and pressure test the full system!

rs250nut
16-02-2010, 20:59
Save your money Raj and put a decent actuator on there, I might have one knocking about in the garage.:)

Beardo
16-02-2010, 21:17
Save your money Raj and put a decent actuator on there, I might have one knocking about in the garage.:)

What other goodies you got in your garage?

rs250nut
16-02-2010, 21:36
whats classed as a decent actuator? im under the impression there all the same with different spring rates and come in different shapes etc?

ive already purchased the new spring, to be honest i cant see anything wrong with the actuator, all internals are in perfect condition. i only purchased the new spring as i didnt know how to test the one thats currently in the actuator.

im just waiting on a clutch pedal part, then ill take the car out with the boost hose running directly from turbo to carb and see if i do actually get boost! if i doget boost it'll obviously point to the intercooler.

A genuine garrett item is probabley your best bet bud.

rs250nut
16-02-2010, 21:38
What other goodies you got in your garage?

I've sold most of my stuff now. If you need anything though give me a shout I may have it knocking about.:)

LampsR5
16-02-2010, 21:41
i had one of the collins 31 actuators on one of my turbos think my t3 and we had a nightmare adjusting the boost from it wound right in we could only manage something like 8 psi they can be annoying if thats the actuator your using.?

Tony Walker
17-02-2010, 21:00
If you wired your actuator shut and still made no boost pressure, then the problems not with the spring diapragm inside it.

Tony Walker
17-02-2010, 21:02
sorry just re-read the thread, you havent tried jamming it closed have you? if you can jam the wastegate shut and try this, obviously keep an eye on boost pressure as it wont be restricted and will overboost.

Brigsy
02-03-2010, 18:12
Pressurise the boost cct to check for leaks mate.

HULK
02-03-2010, 18:12
Have you had a look to see if the exhaust manifold is either cracked or leaking from the gasket??

Brigsy
02-03-2010, 18:31
Its probably turbo related then mate, id be trying another unit on.

Also did you fit that blanking plate on the comp housing, is it well sealed? Also is the actuator preloaded correctly?

Slim
02-03-2010, 18:55
sounds like a completely disconnected boost hose somewhere or very big leak in a intercooler.... it wont be the exhaust manifold...:scared:

Slim
02-03-2010, 19:03
or a faulty turbo unit....

if the turbo is fine.. you should be able to hear it wind up on boost... it may be boosting.. but you wont be getting a reading if the boost is escaping out of a boost hose... recheck all your hoses or coolers...

if you cant hear it wind up on boost.. then its likely to be turbo related. If it was anything to to with a cracked manifold,, then it would be very apparent.

Brigsy
02-03-2010, 19:39
Id start off with half a hole preload, i.e you will have to 'pull' the actuator arm so it fits onto the wastegate arm.

With no preload/wastegate open the turbo will be very laggy & produce hardly any boost.

Brigsy
02-03-2010, 19:50
Got to be turbo/boost leak/major exhaust leak mate.

Id be changing the turbo regardless of if its spinning or not just to test it if you have a spare.

Slim
02-03-2010, 20:13
would the turbo not overspool if a boost hose was disconnected though?

yep.. it would be.. and probably is... why dont you just connect the main boost hose straight to the carb....??

Tony Walker
02-03-2010, 21:52
The spring holds the wastegate shut the boost pressure forces the wastegate open so that the exhaust gas can pass another route thus reducing the pressure spooling the turbo. if you jam the wastegate shut this isnt the same as removing the actuator piping.jamming it shut eliminates the actuator completely if you still have the problem then the fault lies with another component. if it does fix it then you have a problem with the actuator spring holding the wastegate shut.

J8TRO
02-03-2010, 21:58
Raj, If you take the air filter off the front of the turbo to get the the comp wheel, do the blades spin freely with your fingers?

Tony Walker
02-03-2010, 22:45
i forgot about trying this method out, ill give it a go if i can find something to hold the wastegate shut.

so lets say with the wastegate jammed shut and it still doesnt produce boost, this would point to a boost leak for sure yes?

Yes, couple of other things possibly but probably a boost leak. The only other things it could be are, wastegate is damaged and not sealing(burnt hole, cracked housing, not closing fully) cracked manifold,leaking manifold gasket(pressure cant build up to spin turbo, but you would hear an exhaust leak)
Leaking inlet manifold gasket, carb o ring, carb seals, boost pipework, intercooler leaking. dumpvalve diaprghram leaking. its gota be a pretty big leak to make no boost.

Mart
14-03-2010, 18:00
No, it should be tight/sealed shut against the port. Sounds like the actuator needs pre-tensioning. That, or the actuator/spring within is fecked.

Mart
14-03-2010, 18:21
Wow, it's like that headgasket thread from yesterday with the lack of info from the beginning again :D

In that case, that's perfectly normal.

THE MASTER
14-03-2010, 19:30
very easy to see if the inter cooler leaking . get an inertube from a wheel bike or car and clamp it on each end off the cooler pump up the inner tube (naturally via the valve) see if you loos pressure . simple innit
;)

THE MASTER
14-03-2010, 19:51
another easy and simple check to see if ya turbo is working . just take off your outlet hose off from the turbo . get the engine running . hold your hand over the outlet of
the turbo and rev engine . with a good rev it sholuld be difficult to keep your hand there
;)

Mart
14-03-2010, 19:55
And likewise, if you want to check the intercooler (or anything boost circuit related) for leaks, take off the air-filter, start the engine, block the turbo inlet, and see if the engine stalls. Might take a second or 2 whilst the engine sucks the remaining air from the intercooler/boost hoses.

If the engine continues to run though, there's a leak present.

Tony Walker
14-03-2010, 20:22
And likewise, if you want to check the intercooler (or anything boost circuit related) for leaks, take off the air-filter, start the engine, block the turbo inlet, and see if the engine stalls. Might take a second or 2 whilst the engine sucks the remaining air from the intercooler/boost hoses.

If the engine continues to run though, there's a leak present.

If your gonna do that, dont use your hand itll hurt.:)

Brigsy
15-03-2010, 14:56
Have you took it for a run on the road? The tomcat t25 is pretty laggy & wont do a lot on idle/revving up stationary with no load, 4k+ rpm for decent useable boost when driving.

As for the oil, unless its spewing it out all over from the comp cover wouldnt worry too much.

Markey Mark (BD)
15-03-2010, 15:15
I've driven the car Brigsy, its deffinately not right even below peak boost revs you get the feeling of the turbo working but there is absolutely no power there. Standard boost gauge creeps up very little and did abit more when i adjusted actuator but there is just no power there from it, totally flat.

Mart
15-03-2010, 15:43
Before writing off the turbo, is the breather hose plumbed as such that it recirc's back into the 'telephone' hose/air-filter inlet, a la o.e setup? If so, that oil could be engine related. If it's not plumbed like that, it's the turbo.

Markey Mark (BD)
15-03-2010, 15:46
Before writing off the turbo, is the breather hose plumbed as such that it recirc's back into the 'telephone' hose/air-filter inlet, a la o.e setup? If so, that oil could be engine related. If it's not plumbed like that, it's the turbo.

No its not mate he's got it set up like the 'Cup' set up so Breather into the telephone hose has gone.

Mart
15-03-2010, 15:48
In that case, it's the blower.

jonnyshaw49
15-03-2010, 20:46
i have one of them collins t3 actuators if anyones after one!!! but adam l recommends the -31 garret original ones

J8TRO
16-03-2010, 19:34
I'm defo no expert but that seams like a lot of oil........:crap:

LampsR5
16-03-2010, 20:15
whats next then this turbo will need checking and hopefully all your problems will be sorted what a pain its been for you mate :confused: hope it gets sorted

J8TRO
16-03-2010, 20:30
Raj with that much oil evident, was the car smoking at all? do you have oil in your boost pipes from turbo to carb? It wont be as evident as your oil is very clean, just wondered as this may point to suspect turbo seals? Then again if the turbo wasn't spinning much it might not have been forced up the induction route.

Just to reiterate, I'm no expert, just guessing. someone else will confirm I'm sure

D4WNO
16-03-2010, 20:32
this is what has annoyed me so much, the fact that ive done my best from the start with rebuilding this car, but ive been plagued with problem after problem. its been VERY disheartening at say the least.
i'll be overwelmed with joy when i finally sell it that is definatly for sure.

just waiting on adam L to get back to me, hopefully he'll sort something.!?

If you have a turbo issue there's little point PMing him on here, I did tell you he was very busy with work and family illness issues at the moment.

Your best bet is to just phone the office while he is working and speak to him about turbos that way? His life doesn't revolve around them :laugh:

Adam L
16-03-2010, 20:56
I thought I'd have a nose.

In all honesty, Raj, you're best sending that turbo back. The boosting issues aren't going to be the turbo, unless something unspeakable has happened to the wheels in it's short life. However, seeing as that was a second hand ebay item you gave me (I can't remember the state of the turbine housing, as it was some time ago now) but they are notorious for having horrendous cracks resulting in boost problems. I usually warn people about them beforehand.

What did you seal the o.e dump valve outlet with also?

Are you also sure you haven't kinked the oil drain pipe? Any incline what-so-ever will cause oil to leak past the ring seals (e.g. You can't have the oil drain run over the clutch cable, it must run under it)

Adam L
16-03-2010, 21:09
Putting your hand over the compressor outlet will give a very little identification of flow, especially as it's a larger turbo spinning at a lower rpm than a stock turbo.

jonnyshaw49
17-03-2010, 21:01
i has oil in one of my old turbos in the comp housing like that and somehow oil was beeing sucked back so i did the cup breather mod and it was sorted