PDA

View Full Version : Do I have a scammer?

Chris Hebden
12-02-2010, 11:19
I put my computer for sale on Gumtree yesterday and got someone who was interested immediately. I emailed him saying that i was gauging interest as i hadnt started wiping my stuff off or anything like that. He emailed me back with this:

Thanks for your mail,Am Edward Dickson from Manchester,i will like to know the present condition of this item because am not use to this Gumtree site,i will want you to get back to me with the total cost of this item including postage fee to MANCHESTER via (RoyalMail Courier Service First Class Delivery) and will also be sending out your payment through paypal,quickly get back to me with your paypal money request or your PayPal mail ID so as for me to send out your payment and you help me get the item shipped out as soon as possible,i would have come for the Bid in person but due to the schedule of my job and also i don't want to be scam once again.

Note:Am aware of all PayPal scams,so stay off if you're a scammer.

Hope to read from you soonest.

Cheers.

Edward Dickson

I dont know why but this has made me think HE may be a scammer (i dont know why), what are peoples thoughts!?

Cheers Chris

T.K
12-02-2010, 11:20
:laugh:

JRP
12-02-2010, 11:28
:laugh: wonder where that chap or chapet is from

m5tt
12-02-2010, 11:28
Looks a 'bit' dodgey to me , Just some of the way things are put across and the way in which the punctuation and grammer is presented . :scratch:

I maybe wrong . . It's one of those Umm and Argh'ers IMO

Nayls
12-02-2010, 11:31
guaranteed scam!

Chris Hebden
12-02-2010, 11:33
Looks a 'bit' dodgey to me , Just some of the way things are put across and the way in which the punctuation and grammer is presented . :scratch:

I maybe wrong . . It's one of those Umm and Argh'ers IMO

Exactly where i was coming from! I cant think what his scam would be though, specially going through paypal! Unless he wants to claim back the money because he has received faulty goods and keeps the PC

JRP
12-02-2010, 11:34
guaranteed scam!

or scum possibly...lol

Id just wait for sombody who at worst emails you in ''da txt speek init how much process it runnin''

or normaly with no obvious ''typical stupid scammers letter that people still fall for'' about it.

Basicly any doubts you wont catch me abouts

paul-11turbo
12-02-2010, 11:36
Ask him for a contact number to call him.

The grammar sounds like what a nigerian scammer would write, but would a nigerian have a name like edward dickson hmmm?

car.crash
12-02-2010, 11:37
Try to get him to pay you and send nothing and see how he gets his money back

m5tt
12-02-2010, 11:39
I agree with JRP ,

If I even get the slightest glitch that something doesn't feel right I pull out. Comes across as guilty anyhows , As he is the one who brought up the fact of scamming first for absolutely no reason. :dearme:

m5tt
12-02-2010, 11:40

The grammar sounds like what a nigerian scammer would write, but would a nigerian have a name like edward dickson hmmm?

:laugh::laugh: He could do .... :laugh::laugh:

JRP
12-02-2010, 11:42

I was gonna say nigerian scammer, as i had the nigerian english voice in my head.. like a few of my mates and when i hear them talk i always have a chuckle about me.... and they know it!

I was just afraid of a backlash at me for picking on that one thing lol

D4WNO
12-02-2010, 11:51
He'll either pay you too much through PayPal and ask you to "transfer" the rest to another account or he'll claim back as not delivered and you'll get stung from your PP account.

If you have to ask, then stay away.

Ricardo
12-02-2010, 12:01
Gumtree :crap:

They've been in the news recently the other way round, people putting fake ads on there to lure buyers with cash.........

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article6811033.ece

This the 2nd time, the 1st person died :sad2:

HULK
12-02-2010, 12:07
It's 100% a scam my friend. I had an email very much the same when I sold my iPhone. They send the same email in bulk to hundreds of people, notice how they can change the name of goods and cities/towns very easily in the same email.

Give this one a serious wide birth

m5tt
12-02-2010, 12:12
Just read that link Ricardo put up ...

:dearme: Poor guy , Does make you think just how easy it is to become a subject of violance

Chris Hebden
12-02-2010, 12:21
Appreciated, thank you everyone! I will stay well clear of him, its a real shame this sort of stuff occurs as i have a genuine computer for sale and get hit with this crap :mad:!

Again, thank you to everyone

car.crash
12-02-2010, 12:28
Gumtree is free to advertise and has no security. Use eBay and you do away with most scammers but you pay for that privelage. The choice is yours.

Chris Hebden
12-02-2010, 12:30
Gumtree is free to advertise and has no security. Use eBay and you do away with most scammers but you pay for that privelage. The choice is yours.

Yep true as! As usual being a cheap arse and paying for it :laugh:

JRP
12-02-2010, 12:39
Gumtree :crap:

They've been in the news recently the other way round, people putting fake ads on there to lure buyers with cash.........

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article6811033.ece

This the 2nd time, the 1st person died :sad2:

I heard about the first one a few days back.

Its happend before, but why is this case highlighted? hmmm i wonder... still i blame the government.:popcorn:

Trevhib
12-02-2010, 13:07
Hello Madam.

:laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MTFauI8INY

Chris Hebden
12-02-2010, 16:06
Here is another email, near enough on the same lines but with an added addres :sad2:

Hi

Thanks for the mail, i will like you to get back to me with the total price of the item including the postage price to the address below ..

Mehreen
7 Plumtre Avenue
Bewsey
Warrington
Cheshire
WA5 0DB
United Kingdom

also i would like you to get back to me with your paypal email address or send me a paypal money request.

Thanks

m5tt
12-02-2010, 21:28
Yeah , Comes across about as dodgy as the last one there matey :disagree:

Mart
12-02-2010, 21:38
Drop a flaming jiffy bag full of sh1t through his front door.

Fecking scam scum.