PDA

View Full Version : Help with williams conversion plz.

REGGY5GT
10-02-2010, 22:17
First post!

Hi,was wondering if anyone knows how id go about converting my 5 turbo to a 2l williams as im sick of the engine going pop and temp problems, i need to know what id need to do with mounts,exhaust,grbox ect, whether there is a kit available, any help with this would be much appreciated. thanks

Kris M
10-02-2010, 22:28
The first thing you`l have to do it join up to take full advantage of the weath of knowledge the club has to offer ;)

J$£5GTT
10-02-2010, 22:57
The first thing you`l have to do it join up to take full advantage of the weath of knowledge the club has to offer ;)

gta pay to play...:cooter:

markey b
11-02-2010, 01:13
First post!

Hi,was wondering if anyone knows how id go about converting my 5 turbo to a 2l williams as im sick of the engine going pop and temp problems, i need to know what id need to do with mounts,exhaust,grbox ect, whether there is a kit available, any help with this would be much appreciated. thanks

its probably eaiser to sort the c1j so it doesn't go pop or overheat :agree:

mr white
11-02-2010, 13:52
ive got a clio 1.8 16v f7p fitted in my 5 so if you need any help just ask:)

Adam 005
11-02-2010, 20:12
you can get a williams clio for £1300 it's never worth putting the motor in a car that's older uglier and does not handle as well:agree:

Lewis
11-02-2010, 20:40
you can get a williams clio for £1300 it's never worth putting the motor in a car that's older uglier and does not handle as well:agree:

What the car looks like is down to the individual surely?
What sort of condition would a £1300 clio williams be worth, maybe there are some decent examples available for that price but from what I've seen the good ones are a minimum of £2k right upto £4k or so.

If you really wanted to stick the williams engine in a 5 it would'nt be that much work, as for the handling as long as you can sort out the extra negative camber on the front end most of the clio williams suspension and axles bolt straight to the 5.

Possibly still wouldn't handle the same or as well as a genuine williams clio but i bet it would be pretty good and the 5 shell has the advantage of being lighter than a clio shell straight away.

Ricardo
11-02-2010, 20:46
Why not skip the Williams conversion and go straight to the 172? How much would it be to source and buy a Williams lump compared to a 172?

Adam 005
14-02-2010, 14:20
What the car looks like is down to the individual surely?
What sort of condition would a £1300 clio williams be worth, maybe there are some decent examples available for that price but from what I've seen the good ones are a minimum of £2k right upto £4k or so.

If you really wanted to stick the williams engine in a 5 it would'nt be that much work, as for the handling as long as you can sort out the extra negative camber on the front end most of the clio williams suspension and axles bolt straight to the 5.

Possibly still wouldn't handle the same or as well as a genuine williams clio but i bet it would be pretty good and the 5 shell has the advantage of being lighter than a clio shell straight away.

i found this to be the way foward me
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/album.php?albumid=955&pictureid=10310

Bigfoot
14-02-2010, 14:35
As the Williams lump on its own is going to be expensive, why not go the route of f7p with the megane bottom end. that would be the easiest route if you want to go for the 2.0, or like ricardo said, go for the 172 lump

Ricardo
14-02-2010, 15:12
If everyone looked the same, did the same.... Life would be boring as they say

Everyone has their own personal reasons for doing things, and everyone has reasons for talking people out of doing things too :D

I can see why people do the conversions, I love the shape of the Renault 5 GT Turbo, classic 80s hot hatch. So to lose the C1J which in some people eyes gives you that paranoia about constantly looking at the temp gauge etc, the idea of wanting to keep the shell but giving you the peace of mind of something more 'reliable' can seem more appealing.

A Renault 5 to me was always been a 2nd car, something for the weekend, the occasional midweek blast, and RTOC events. For me personally i'd never use a 5 for everyday use, i need to get to work everyday by car but the problem is i also look trackdays and the B Road blasts which is why i have a phase 1 Clio 172. It ticks both boxes for me, given the chance i'd have an R5 instead of the Clio, but i'd like the engine from the 172 in the classic 80s hot hatch shell of a 5 :cool: