PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Or Gearbox problems

Antisocial
05-10-2008, 16:40
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

I have got a couple of problems. Firstly I think my pressure plate is on its way out as is biting just off the floor and sometimes I have my foot to the floor and it rolls forward, I have to press the break.
Secondly it sometimes gets stuck in 5th gear, it will pull back into neutral but the gear stick will not move left or right. I have to push it back into 5th and make the clutch slip, then its fine again. This only seems to happen when hot. Could a worn pressure plate cause this or is my box knackered?
Also the gear stick looks like it’s in the wrong place. Neutral is not in the middle its a bit low, 2nd and 4th are right back as far as the gear stick will go and 1st, 3rd and 5th don’t seem to push forward far enough( will try and get some pics). When in 3rd if I take my foot of the gas then it drops out of gear.
Sorry for the essay but this things giving me a headache

OUTLAW
05-10-2008, 17:54

GET YOUR HAYNES OUT MATE, ITS TIME TO CHANGE CLUTCH AND GEARBOX!:coffee:

Tiny Tim
05-10-2008, 17:59
OR...

you could do some basic checks and rule out spending loads of money on a noobs suggestion...

First thing i'd be checking is that the clutch cable is excessively stretched, that could cause problems getting it into gear. On a similar level, check/renew the clutch pedal mechanism... if the ratchett teeth are screwed it wont self-adjust properly and cause similar issues.

As for the positioning of the gear level, that sounds like the selector fork is either bent or needs adjusting.

THE MASTER
05-10-2008, 18:41
a badly fitted clutch pedal can cause drag

a broken g/box(usualy the front n/s):coffee::p mount can cause the selection prob

EDM
05-10-2008, 18:41
check your engine mounts too

Antisocial
05-10-2008, 18:42

OR...

you could do some basic checks and rule out spending loads of money on a noobs suggestion...

First thing i'd be checking is that the clutch cable is excessively stretched, that could cause problems getting it into gear. On a similar level, check/renew the clutch pedal mechanism... if the ratchett teeth are screwed it wont self-adjust properly and cause similar issues.

As for the positioning of the gear level, that sounds like the selector fork is either bent or needs adjusting.

I have a spare cable somewhere, i will give that a go first. the teath on the pedal look fine.
Im sure the gear lever never used to sit in this position, if the selector fork has been bent is it hard to replace? and can i nick it from the spare clio box i have? thanks

THE MASTER
05-10-2008, 18:44
check your engine mounts too

beet you to that one:p:)

EDM
05-10-2008, 18:45
beet you to that one:p:)

Damn it!:cry::)