PDA

View Full Version : couple of questions

Smokey
10-02-2010, 17:55
I fitted the down pipe the weekend gone an slightly bagged it against the starter motor not hard and caused a little spark, iv started the car everyday since but took a few times could banging the dowm pipe on it be the problem or the weather as its been very cold. Hopefully the later.

Also the pin that enables the choke to work which is connected at the back of the carb keeps working its way loose and i keep loosing it then the choke wont work, wether its an original pin or one that iv bodged together which work well it still keeps working loose.

Any suggestions to stop this i.e ptfe tape or lock tight or are they bad ideas.

Thanks for reading and all advice will be helpfull, bit of an essay.

Thanks mat

rs250nut
10-02-2010, 18:16
All you have done is touch the live terminal on the starter with the down pipe which is negative, it should not have fecked it unless you held it on there. Does the starter sound lazy now? If not its probabley the cold weather

Smokey
10-02-2010, 18:43
just the cold weather then it was just a quick knock on and off... thanks

any idea bout the carb any one.

Thanks.

TrixNFlix
10-02-2010, 18:51
Yeah your starter will be fine, done that a few times too and it scares you to death!! Then you remember to take the negative off the battery! :laugh: pic would help again is I can't get an image in my head.

Smokey
10-02-2010, 20:48
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/picture.php?albumid=904&pictureid=9779

its the gold hexaganol screw in the middle of the picture which secures the the choke lever to the carb. It keeps working loose and if i tighten it to tight the choke lever wont work.

An tell me about it i was under the car while my mate was securing it an sparked in my face sh** myself.

TrixNFlix
10-02-2010, 20:55
Well i dont think i have a hexagonal bolt on any of mine. I think that behind the bracket, there is a spring normaly, so that the choke bracket can rotate without touching the sides of the carb. It doesnt have to be to tight, just so there is enough tension to keep the bracket the same distance from the carb body. I gues yours is missing?

Markey Mark (BD)
10-02-2010, 20:57
Well i dont think i have a hexagonal bolt on any of mine. I think that behind the bracket, there is a spring normaly, so that the choke bracket can rotate without touching the sides of the carb. It doesnt have to be to tight, just so there is enough tension to keep the bracket the same distance from the carb body. I gues yours is missing?

:agree: Your right there, that doesn't look right

As Trix says it will have a sprung washer and spacer behind there so the cam can rotate without touching the bolt.

Smokey
10-02-2010, 21:08
well originally, well wen i had it ther was like a big fat washer about 1 centimeter thick which went in between the bracket and the carb then had a screw holding it all in place.

So wen it worked its way out the first time i got a similar screw and used a bolt instead of the washer works a treat but this has worked its way out several times and im fed up of keep bodging it i need the original set-up to hopefully stop it keep happening.

Markey Mark (BD)
10-02-2010, 21:13
well originally, well wen i had it ther was like a big fat washer about 1 centimeter thick which went in between the bracket and the carb then had a screw holding it all in place.

So wen it worked its way out the first time i got a similar screw and used a bolt instead of the washer works a treat but this has worked its way out several times and im fed up of keep bodging it i need the original set-up to hopefully stop it keep happening.

It does need the correct sprung washer and bolt in there mate, let me have alook through my spares mate may have one in there which will sort you out

Smokey
10-02-2010, 21:14
great stuff cheers mate, i must be on my 4th time of d.i.y'ing it now.

TrixNFlix
10-02-2010, 21:14
Well like you said try a bit of pfte tape on the bolt thread and maybe a little spring from the insides of a cheap ballpoint pen? might work. Remember you just need a bit of tension not much. I reckon your problem is the bracket is to tight against the bolt , so when you open and close the choke, you are moving the bolt with the bracket, causing it to wind out.

sphinX
11-02-2010, 22:35
get rid of the choke ;)

m5tt
11-02-2010, 23:11
How about using a bit of lock tight ? :scratch:

Out of curiousness Why do people remove the choke :coffee:

Sparkie
11-02-2010, 23:33
cos at 18psi it makes hooooge amounts of difference to the amount of air travelling through the carb. Its also cool to sit there cranking your car over on a cold morning.

:coffee:

m5tt
11-02-2010, 23:39
:agree: Tah very much mate , Always helpfull to know stuff like this .

Smokey
12-02-2010, 07:13
thats why i asked the question is about lock tight and ptfe tape wether it is a bad idea as its screwed in the back of the choke. So i take it that both ideas are safe to do.

doesnt urs have a choke then Dan mines hard enough to start with the choke wen its cold so god knows wat it would be like without it.:scratch:

Sparkie
12-02-2010, 21:37
:agree: Tah very much mate , Always helpfull to know stuff like this .

i was being alittle sarcastic. not worth the extra hassle of cold start problems compared to airflow through the carb at such low boost levels.

Mart
12-02-2010, 21:39
A little? :laugh:

m5tt
12-02-2010, 21:42
Fell for it hook line and sinker ! :laugh: