PDA

View Full Version : painting car advice

djinuk
10-02-2010, 16:57
ok just a quick one for any sprayers does this sound ok.
Any filler work, knock back to 400 grit, high build then knock back to 800, any existing paint on undented/good bodywork fine scotch.
Panel wipe full car and paint.

Does that sound ok, basically im just wondering if at any point prior to applying the paint does the whole car need to be wet flatted, im in 2 minds whether to just high build the full car anyway as ive high built the 2 quarters, will be high building most the bonnet , the roof and one wing, possibly the doors and defo the front bumper.

Haz
11-02-2010, 23:12
yeah sound, just make sure its well scotched. i prefer water based panel wipe and use it for wet scotchin too. advantage of wet flattin the whole thing, with a block is that ya may find the odd car park ding that u didn't spot, esp on the lower half of panels.

djinuk
13-02-2010, 00:08
brill thanks for the reply.

Ive found that like a fool i noticed quite a few dents, didnt mark them and now ive attacked some of the main ones, the filler dust etc has made it virtually impossible to see the remaining dents :( , feeling that the only way they will show there sign is if i block off the high build and attack it that way.

rs250nut
13-02-2010, 08:12
brill thanks for the reply.

Ive found that like a fool i noticed quite a few dents, didnt mark them and now ive attacked some of the main ones, the filler dust etc has made it virtually impossible to see the remaining dents :( , feeling that the only way they will show there sign is if i block off the high build and attack it that way.

Take the end off your spray gun and blow the whole car off this will get rid of the dust, top advice from haz with the blocking its the only way to get it flat. If you want to make it a little easier you a guide coat, a contrasting colour to what the car colour is. Then when you block it the colour will stay in the dents and you will see where you need to fill. You should also do this with the primer, black guide coat then bobs your uncle fannys your aunt you have a nice repair.:)

andyrg
13-02-2010, 11:53
to be honest do the job properly if its worth doing. DO NOT just use scotch brite on the panel to be painted, flat it properly with 800 w&D to guarantee completly smooth and keyed surface,

The other aspects of what you are saying is good and correct tho.

The prep work is the main key to a good paint finish:)

rs250nut
13-02-2010, 12:23
to be honest do the job properly if its worth doing. DO NOT just use scotch brite on the panel to be painted, flat it properly with 800 w&D to guarantee completly smooth and keyed surface,

The other aspects of what you are saying is good and correct tho.

The prep work is the main key to a good paint finish:)

Imo 800 is too coarse, use 1200 or 1000 on a d.a

andyrg
15-02-2010, 16:53
Imo 800 is too coarse, use 1200 or 1000 on a d.a

never had any issues before, and i haete bad prepped paint work ( scrqatch marks etc ) 1200/1000 on a da is going to be very very very fine. but also a good option. i like doing it by hand to feel for small imperfections