PDA

View Full Version : sill replacment questions

djinuk
08-02-2010, 16:17
ok , i have a r5 turbo that has mint floor pan etc however the sills are rotton all along the seem at the bottom. I have paid a bodyshop to fit 2 sills..

I went up to see the car and the sills are fitted and the welding looks great, however i put my hand under neath and found the other side of the rusty seam was still there (all rusty and crumbly)

The bodyshop tells me they will cut that away next and make a l shape out of a piece of steel, they will then weld this along the lenght and this is what will make the other side of the seam.

I hope that makes sence, does this sound ok ?

JRP
08-02-2010, 16:23
Would have thought it would all have been cut out at once... anyhoooo

TrixNFlix
08-02-2010, 16:59
This is what they did with mine dj, reshaped a piece of metal and seem welded it to the floorplan and new sill. Just make sure I doesn't cost you loads more ££££ as it did to me.

Brigsy
08-02-2010, 17:03
That will do but ideally the inner cill should be done/rebuilt when the outer is off. I doubt they have cleaned up the inner cill at all if the rusty lip is still there, half a job really:crap:

dangerous dave
08-02-2010, 18:13
i was looking at some sills that were done, the inner was folded poorly, more of a long curve then a right angle and it was welded the length of the floor 2 inches on the floor pan and down the inner sill area..

looked sheeeite to me and i wouldn't have been happy paying for it, but i guess its ok if its done right and the rots gone..:)

TNT Tricky Nicky
08-02-2010, 18:22
it's something i may have to do soon,

in my head i'm thinking cut out outer sills, inspect inner (floorpan) and cut out rusty bits and replace, weld on new outer sills and seal.

i guess by leaving the inner it gives them something to line up to and then remove it and weld up to the new outer.

as long as they remove all the rust it should be ok.

it's something i've always found strange that everybody seems to do the same job differently

Ricardo
08-02-2010, 18:25
I imagine there's quite a few GTT's out there that need the cills doing underneath those side skirts

djinuk
09-02-2010, 15:41
Cheers for the avice, the rest of it looks good, he assures me that hes going to do a good job but we will see, all the door cards etc are out so at least i can get my hand dwn and have a feel about...

Really want to get the car back now though :(

TrixNFlix
09-02-2010, 16:02
it's something i may have to do soon,

in my head i'm thinking cut out outer sills, inspect inner (floorpan) and cut out rusty bits and replace, weld on new outer sills and seal.

i guess by leaving the inner it gives them something to line up to and then remove it and weld up to the new outer.

as long as they remove all the rust it should be ok.

it's something i've always found strange that everybody seems to do the same job differently

This is how mine were done, logical realy when you start thinking about it. Dj what are you gona do when if comes to putting on the sideskirts?

djinuk
09-02-2010, 16:21
I managed to get myself some of the side skirt rivits, and i ordered some of the buttfly clips direct from renault, so should be fitting exactly as they came off, failing that i will bond them on, but all being well id sooner have them clipped.

TrixNFlix
09-02-2010, 16:23
Cool, just take your time when drilling the holes for the rivets! :cooter:

djinuk
09-02-2010, 16:36
I think the guy at the bodyshop is going it for me :P

Haz
11-02-2010, 23:29
personally i'd bond the kit on with windscreen sealant, so long as its prepped properly. no point drillin holes, only creatin another point for rust to start again, plus the sealant keeps more water out ;)