PDA

View Full Version : Speedo not working

Mr Raider
04-02-2010, 13:32
Have put car back together and now speedo does not work. Have changed clocks, checked speedo cable connection in engine bay then replaced lower section of cable with second hand tested one from CGB, speedo still doesnt work. Any ideas anyone?

:scratch:

Cheers

dangerous dave
04-02-2010, 16:22
mine was a playing up so remove the pick up out the box, cleaned it and refitted.. worked ok for a while and then playing up again, a good clean once again sorted it but the problems not going away for good..

im thinking about blasting brake cleaner into the hole its fitted but wonder if thats a good idea or bad idea..

thats where my problems are anyway, worth a shot:)

J$£5GTT
04-02-2010, 19:09
you say you have changed the clocks,try the old unit maybe?
or some other clocks.

Mr Raider
04-02-2010, 19:32
Tried the original clocks with the original lower section of speedo cable, then changed clocks for some others with original lower speedo cable, needle didnt even flicker both times. Did clean gearbox up abit so not sure if any dirt got in. Speedo worked fine before taking engine/gearbox out! Guy at CGB said that the part inside the gearbox that the sensor/pick up reads is only circliped on inside gearbox and that they can come unattached and offered me a re-con box for £370!!! :(

TNT!hammond
04-02-2010, 20:40
after market speedo karl ;) you know u want too :P

Woznaldo
05-02-2010, 08:50
Tried the original clocks with the original lower section of speedo cable, then changed clocks for some others with original lower speedo cable, needle didnt even flicker both times. Did clean gearbox up abit so not sure if any dirt got in. Speedo worked fine before taking engine/gearbox out! Guy at CGB said that the part inside the gearbox that the sensor/pick up reads is only circliped on inside gearbox and that they can come unattached and offered me a re-con box for £370!!! :(

Unfortunately this can happen and did to me but I'd check to see if you are getting any kind of pulse (not sure how) before writing off the box. However, like mentioned above you can get after market speedos as a way out.

Personally I'd go for a second hand box from one of the guys in the club. They come up fairly frequently for 50-100 quid absolute tops