PDA

View Full Version : the maximum boost anyones use on standard t2 and how log it lasted.

dave j gtt
04-10-2008, 20:42
am still running oe t2 , it done around 60,000 miles, before i got it, will of been higher that standard for some time of its life, it was back to standard and sluggish when i got it .

done all service works and tuned car to now run 15psi carb base, about on the limit to what a standard t2 can flow without giving up to quick.

done 5k like this just wondering how long others have ran boost levels of this degree and how long it all lasted and what failed and why.

regards dave :bored: :argue:

ollyhock
04-10-2008, 20:56
ive only had my 5 about 3 months and done 3.5k and it been like a dream, i had a 205gti mi16 original french import and loved it, i ruled the day i sold it. i also always wanted a gtt and after 17 years thought theyd be all trashed, but i got a mint one 58k
and of the two cars 205 gti and gtt i have to say for sheer driving pleasure the gtt wins,
id always pick a turbo over a normally aspirrated.

Sparkie
05-10-2008, 02:42
i had a t2, that had its water jacket blocked up with oily dirty - maybe radweld?

anyway, i decided it was fubar'd so i decided to let it run full whack and see what happened.
i managed to get 28psi out of it a few times....but summat happened, (i never found out what) and it wouldnt go past 23psi after that.
it lasted maybe a month or two, before it bit the dust.:laugh:

5teve L
05-10-2008, 07:51
i had a t2, that had its water jacket blocked up with oily dirty - maybe radweld?

The wifes is the same, full up with sludge, i've bypassed the water jacket & it runs fine @ standard boost....28 psi, blimey, surely that was just blowing hot air:laugh::eek:

Brigsy
05-10-2008, 11:16
Before i knew better ive seen 1.8 bar out of a t2, lasted about 500 miles:laugh: Infact everything went tits up at the same time, bottom end started knocking, headgasket went & clutch gave in:D

Tiny Tim
05-10-2008, 11:22
Mine's currently running 16psi carb base with no water running through it... time will tell. Just be an excuse to upgrade then.

Markey Mark (BD)
05-10-2008, 12:50
We set a mate of mines to 18psi before just to see how it went, went really well and lasted the time he had the car (6k miles) and abit more after he sold if it remember. Was a few years ago now.

OUTLAW
05-10-2008, 16:06
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

MY T2 IS STARTING TO MAKE A LOUD TAPPING SOUND, NO SMOKE OUT THE EXHAUST THOUGH! BOOSTS UP FINE, WHERE THE MANIFOLD MEETS THE TURBO, I HAVE NOTICED A LOT OF HOT AIR BLOWING:confused:. I`VE PUT A STAINLESS GASKET IN AND DONE IT UP TIGHT! STILL TAPPING AND BLOWING HOT AIR UNDER THE TURBO(WHERE IT MEETS THE MANIFOLD) COULD IT BE A PISTON? :coffee:ANY 1 HELP PLEASE.....MANY THANKS

dave j gtt
05-10-2008, 16:19
either gasket between the turbo and turbo elbow, or manifold gasket ;)

Adam L
05-10-2008, 16:50

MY T2 IS STARTING TO MAKE A LOUD TAPPING SOUND, NO SMOKE OUT THE EXHAUST THOUGH! BOOSTS UP FINE, WHERE THE MANIFOLD MEETS THE TURBO, I HAVE NOTICED A LOT OF HOT AIR BLOWING:confused:. I`VE PUT A STAINLESS GASKET IN AND DONE IT UP TIGHT! STILL TAPPING AND BLOWING HOT AIR UNDER THE TURBO(WHERE IT MEETS THE MANIFOLD) COULD IT BE A PISTON? :coffee:ANY 1 HELP PLEASE.....MANY THANKS

The tapping sound would usually mean the manifold gasket

jesus in the seat of a 5
05-10-2008, 17:03
The tapping sound would usually mean the manifold gasket

yeah i can vouch for this , i drove mine to the ring an back with it doing this, its like you have a stone caught in the wheel....:laugh:, it looked like a tea bag where it was blowin so bad...:laugh::agree:

GTphil
05-10-2008, 17:16

i ran 22psi on mine for three months once, day in day out did about 4000 miles. then realised i was being a silly boy when my piston rings melted. ran the same turbo tho about 20k after that at 15/17psi. i was well impressed with that!:D

dave j gtt
05-10-2008, 17:31

i ran 22psi on mine for three months once, day in day out did about 4000 miles. then realised i was being a silly boy when my piston rings melted. ran the same turbo tho about 20k after that at 15/17psi. i was well impressed with that!:D

was that a standard t2 turbo? also where were you takeing them boost readings ?

Tiny Tim
05-10-2008, 17:49

And that'll be down to ****e fuelling.

EDM
05-10-2008, 18:50
My old car was on 70k when i sold it, and the t2 on that was running at 20psi all the time i had it, seemed fine.

dave j gtt
05-10-2008, 23:31
My old car was on 70k when i sold it, and the t2 on that was running at 20psi all the time i had it, seemed fine.

where was that measurement taken carb base 20psi :confused:

EDM
06-10-2008, 18:38
where was that measurement taken carb base 20psi :confused:

Aei i think buddy

Beardo
06-10-2008, 18:41
Didn't Bruce run 66psi at one point ! :D

dave j gtt
06-10-2008, 19:14
well what ever your boost am lead to belive that the standard t2 turbo only flows effiecient to around 18-20psi carb base after that your just pushing it for no real cause.

what sort of power/ trap speeds does standard cam, and that sort of boost equate to ????

My plan is now to buy a new turbo of the t25 variety, and push the t2 for what its got, knowing i have my upgrade turbo and cam and all the other things to do the rebuild.

i think the suspension is needing attention first, all standard what power is it all good for ????

:coffee:

GTphil
07-10-2008, 18:32

was that a standard t2 turbo? also where were you takeing them boost readings ?

both from the manifold! it was bran new prior to that tho.
as for what power the standard turbo will produce at a push somewere between 160/180 hp with a decent set up i would say, terminal speeds of around 96/98 mph?? maybe slightly less, i wouldnt say its efficiant(spelling) at anything after 18psi realy tho. an your charge temps would be high also. if you after some decent power then the t2 aint realy upto it.
i would just whip the t25 an all the other bits you have on!:agree: